1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who spent more than 300 bucks on a walk behind spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by monson770, Oct 25, 2011.

1. monson770

monson770 Senior Member

i am looking around at some walk behind broadcast spreaders, and i am really having a tough time figuring out what makes the 200 dollar model so much less expensive than the 500 dollar model.. other than the 3 dollar plastic piece that covors the gears.... some one, anyone know what the real deal is?

2. Cooter24

Cooter24 Senior Member
    from NE Iowa

Good question. I would like to hear the feedback as well.

3. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

weight capacity, durability, heaver gauge steel... you get what you pay for...

4. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

reg metal to stainless makes a price difference.

5. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

they last the same as my 50 dollar ones. lol

6. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

If your really good at keeping them washed out, a mid rage unit will work ok. While I don't feel my $500 spreader should cost that much, it's capacity, gears & being stainless steel has held out for several years now & throws any material quite well. Lesser units I never got more than 2 seasons. You do get what you pay for, JMO.

7. HLS Wholesale

HLS Wholesale Senior Member

We used to use the cheapest ones we could find and just count on replacing them every couple years. They may only last half as long, but when they only cost 25% of the others, well, it seems to make sense.

8. korrecw

korrecw Junior Member

Stainless is the way to go anything els you mind as well just plan on it lasting one season
    the stainless ones are worth the 400$

Ford F250 6.7 Diesel 9,6' Western MVP

9. muffy189

muffy189 Senior Member

i work for the city i live in and salt the sidewalks in the downtown area i run about 500lbs through the cheap spreader they gave me years ago when i started and its still holding up heading into its 6th season. of course i want them to buy me a bigger one but it is a city and theyre cheap

10. ICE CREAM MAN

ICE CREAM MAN Junior Member
    from MA

I bought a stainless one last year at lesco, could not have been happier. I paid $325.00.
    Similar one at Norfolk power was alomost $500.

11. Terry R

Terry R Junior Member

Lesco (now John Deere Landscapes) has the best spreader on the market in my opinion. We use them year round with fert and salt. Stainless and built real well. Cub Cadet must have bought into them because they have the exact spreader in yellow. We pay 375 for the Lescos here in St Louis. We've used some of our spreaders for 4-5 years now.