1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who said you can't stack with an artic?.....

Discussion in 'Equipment, Tools & Vehicle Pictures' started by Mick76, Jan 24, 2010.

1. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Who said you can't stack with an artic?

bry8bdayandloaderpics 121.jpg

bry8bdayandloaderpics 114.jpg

bry8bdayandloaderpics 123.jpg

2. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

more pictures.........

bry8bdayandloaderpics 118.jpg

bry8bdayandloaderpics 124.jpg

bry8bdayandloaderpics 117.jpg

3. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

Nice.....Keep the Pics coming. :drinkup:

4. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

so hows the arctic pusher. Im still considering getting one for next season. Is it really cutting down on your salt usage?

5. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Worth EVERY penny!.... scrapes hardpack like its not even there....conforms to the dips and hills of the parking lot..... you have to relearn how to use a pusher again but really doesn't take that long to get used too.... If I get another large lot or 2 next year, I'll be purchasing another one or 2......
    Salt usage?.... It scrapes down to the pavement (even with hardpack!)... can't get any better then that... This pic that I'm posting with this reply was with a 90% sand 10% salt mix about 1 1/2 hours after we were done. (ps its not the same storm as the first pic , we're lucky up here we get 2 a week!...jk)
    HIH

bry8bdayandloaderpics 128.jpg

bry8bdayandloaderpics 127.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2010
  6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Great Pictures....Need More...Love the look of the Pick-up..I bet you get some calls ..:drinkup:

7. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Nice pics. Arctics stack snow well when it's light and fluffy but really wet heavy snow we break alot of block when we stack with them. JMO

8. THE-BOSS-PLOWS

THE-BOSS-PLOWS Senior Member

I dont get how that pusher works?

9. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

Dave,
    I know what you mean.... I'm a firm believer in operator error...... I think when you break a block its because of the operator... we've had ALOT of heavy wet snow this year and I've told my guy to take it easy with the artic.......Havn't broken a block yet but hes also a good mechanic and understands the concept of the artic...*knock on wood*...again they can't be treated like a traditional pusher.....

Boss plows , check out artics site....lots of good info

10. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I agree on the operator and we've only broke 6 blocks in 130 hours of plowing on 2 plows and it was all in heavy wet snow.

11. bacwudzme

bacwudzme Senior Member

The Irving complex right off the Auburn Exit?

12. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

Can you explain why those blocks break when stacking snow? I watched all the videos on the site but I can't tell how those blocks work. He said they are made to flex but I don't get why. Do they only break when stacking? Thanks in advance.

13. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

The "blocks" (big hard rubber things) break when a operator put too much force on the pusher while stacking...... the arctics arn't a ridge pusher, the 32" sections "float" with the blocks, allowing them to move up and down 9" or so if need be..... now that being said imagine pushing a ton of snow like you were using a ridge pusher....... theres nothing to break on a ridge pusher you just scoop everything up.... with the arctic you can do this to a certain extent but it will let you know if your going to break some blocks. It does this by the blocks bending downward..... if you have a skilled operator (as long as they've got enough sleep...lol) he can see the load stressing the blocks (they'll all be vertical instead of horizonal) and he can back off saving the blocks... if he doesn't see it, "snap" off goes (if your lucky) a block or two.......All this being said you can push/stack alot of snow but if your operators are used to the ridge style then they may not like them. Until they get used to them of course.

14. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Each section is held on by 4 rubber blocks, the blocks allow every section to float independently of each other. If you catch a curb and your not paying attention you can pull a section down too far and it will break a block. When your stacking very heavy snow you can see all the sections flexing which is not bad but if you go too far you will start to snao blocks.

15. WIPensFan

Thanks guys, I didn't realize those blocks caused the floating action. I believe I understand how it all works now. How long and how hard to replace the block if one breaks? Also can you still push with it?

16. Mick76

Mick76 2000 Club Member
    from Maine

I haven't broke one yet *knock on wood* but theres only 4 bolts holding it in.... I'm guessing 10-15 minutes.... Dave?

17. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

That estimate would be correct.

18. f250man

f250man PlowSite Veteran

Nice pics and equipment

19. WIPensFan

Thanks for the info, those pushers look really nice.

20. Craaaig

Craaaig Senior Member

hey mick, just curious, what is that sticker say on the front corner of the loader?