1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who said to check my brakes?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by birddseedd, Feb 20, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

whoever it is,,,, ur a jerk :jester:

break light came on today. although, im still full on fluid :confused:

2. jasonv

jasonv PlowSite.com Addict
    from kannada

ABS sensor? Leave the parking brake on a little bit?

3. birddseedd

birddseedd PlowSite Veteran

i was thinking about the parking break. it happened after i used it. havnt had a chance to look at it. i know i have some wires that need taped but i think its abs which has its own light.

4. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

4 things can set off the brake light
    1 low fluid
    2 emergency brake not coming up all the way,(just put your foot under it and pull up)
    3 un even pressure in the 2 braking systems (yes you have two, since 1966). Cause (bad master cylinder. or a Small leak that may take a while to show up in fluid level, IE bad wheel cylinders.)
    4 some vehicles have wear sensors in the brake pads

5. Sawboy

Sawboy PlowSite.com Addict

Dude.........pay someone $500, have it stolen and burned to the ground. Get out from under it.

6. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

:laughing::laughing:

Do you use the parking brake much? If you don't there's probably rust in all the components and it's stuck on/partially on.

7. RJ lindblom

RJ lindblom Senior Member

:salute: That is the post of the day. Prevention and preventative maintenance is a start. Along with a good repair manual, it is amazing what one can accomplish.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

[​IMG]

Dude....please....put this truck out of it's misery. It is nickel and diming you to death bro.

Last edited: Feb 20, 2013
  9. Sawboy

Agreed! :laughing::laughing:

10. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

Because the brake light came on?

11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

You must be new here.

12. Sawboy

Thanks Mark

13. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I did..............

14. Bossman 92

Oh no not new at all. I am aware of birds plow setup but didn't know the truck had issues too. I've read countless posts about welding and scabbing the plow but nothing about the truck. Guess I should have figured as much.

15. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

All that heat from welding weaken it.

16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

As far as I know it's beat up, rusted, and doesn't even have functioning 4x4 right now and hasn't for some time and I think he's mentioned a mismatched set of tires on it probably with minimal tread as well. Possibly something about worn out front end parts or something as well from a different thread I skimmed.

17. 32vld

32vld Senior Member
    from LI, NY

Was it back in the 90's? GM had a run of bad parking brake switches. When the parking brake pedal is pushed down the red brake light comes on (same light that would come on when brake fluid is low).

When the parking brake is released the PB lever pops up and the switch should open an the light should go out.

Being he cheacked brake fluid, and the brakes are working ok he needs to look at the PB pedal ratchet mechanism. He should see a wire going to a switch that has copper contacts.

He needs to disconnect that wire and see if the brake ligh on the instrument panel goes out.

18. Bossman 92

Shocking :eek:

19. Bossman 92

Wouldn't that be the correct way to fix the problem? You are wasting your breath. Bird just put a piece of black electrical tape over the dash light so you cant see it any more and it's good as new.

20. CashinH&P

CashinH&P Senior Member

Then his breaks fail, and he kills some one. Thats all we need.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.