1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who' s been using curtis

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by gkm, Mar 14, 2005.

1. gkm

gkm Senior Member

It's been my first year plowing mostly for my bagel shop's parking lot. I have 2004 hd chey using curtis plow. All went well this year mostly from what i've learned from everyone on this site. :drinkup: Thanks for all the help!! I do have to take the plow back to the dealer to fix oil leak on the lift arm i think the seal is leaking and I have notice the truck running hot during transporting the plow on the highway. clutch fan? :(

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2 Curtis Plows , a 7'6" and a 7'. Both are great, i have been lucky enough to have no problems with either of them. The 7'6" is on its 3rd year and still looks new, the 7' is in its 1st year no problems yet.

3. jeffw

jeffw Senior Member

how high are you carring the plow when on the highway, idealy you want to carry the plow as low as you can as to not block the air flow to the radiator. Westerns manual says to carry the blade straight and not angled.. not sure why you may want to see what your manual states.

jeff

4. flykelley

flykelley 2000 Club Member

GMK
    I also have a Curtis 8 ft on a 2001 Chevy 3/4 HD. I only have a temp problem if I am running on the xway which you are not suppose to do, or running faster than 45 mph. Only problem is had a short in the wire harness on the plow itself. That took awhile to figure out.
    I have pushed alot of snow with that plow and do like it alot. My only problem is there is no one locally that work's on Curtis so I have to drive 35 miles to Flint for service. I think my next plow will be a blizzard just because I need someone close by in case I need part's. If not a Blizzard than it will be a Boss. There is a Boss Dealer right around the corner from my home.

Good Luck Mike

5. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Some overheating seems to be a common problem with the newer chevy's/gmc's.. On my dodge i can have the plow all the way up on the highway no problems at all. like others have said try keeping it al low as possilbe so less of the grill is blocked.Curtis are nice units not very popular around here but i have seen more and more latly.

6. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Who's using Curtis??

Hey GKM did you get your plow from the guy in Bethlehem?????

Thanks,

Rob

7. grassmanvt

grassmanvt Senior Member
    from Vermont

Hate to beat a dead horse, but, if you are overheating get the updated fan clutch. Problem solved. Doesn't matter how high you hold the plow if you have the right fan clutch. Should be a warranty item.Do a search on here and you will find the t.s.b. number.

8. Boondox

Boondox Senior Member

I also had a leaking lift ram, but just barely tightened the top nut to seat the seal and it stopped right away. I haven't noticed the truck running hot, but then I only leave it mounted when I'm actually plowing. With mounting and dismounting so easy I can't see carrying that weight on a truck my wife tells me has to last the rest of my life! :eek:

Pete

9. flykelley

Pete
    I had the same seal leak and also tighten that pack nut to stop it. I also do not carry the plow around unless I'm going to plow. Can't see any reason to carry that extra weight around for nothing. I have pushed alot of snow with my Curtis, just wish we had a local service dept.

Regard's Mike

10. gkm

gkm Senior Member

yes m&w automotive

11. gkm

gkm Senior Member

curtis replys

Thanks for all the replys :drinkup: this is the best site on the web. hope everyone does well this year what ever you do payup

12. sixspeed

sixspeed Senior Member

Curtis plows

Thanks GKM! Let us know how their service is we were thinking about trying one from M & W cause the only other dealer anywhere in the area is the distributor in Limerick...

:drinkup:

13. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

flykelley, I had a short in my wiring harness too. And yes it took a while to track down. Almost took it to the dealer but then took one more stab at it and found it. Mine was in the smaller ground wire(orange). When I picked the plow up it bent the harness and connected and was ok and when I dropped the plow it straightened the harness and quit. There's about three wires in that spot that are wound around the main harness cause they are a little too long and the bending of the harness breaks them.

14. flykelley

Tawilson
    Hade a tough time with that one, I think the dealer changed the harness because he didn't know what else to do. I spent about 6 hours myself and couldn't get it to work. I tried jumping the relay and it would work but the pump kept running. I tested all the plug's and had power at the plug head's. I took the cover off the pump area and what a rat's nest of wire's. I spent more than 1/2 hour on the phone with Tech support trying to figure out why it would not work.
    The bad part is it worked when I unhooked it last spring, but the jack foot sank in the mud so it was to low. I pulled the truck up to it and plugged it in, pushed the switch to raise the jack foot and held it to long. The plow hit the frame mount and sparks flew. That was the end of it, couldn't get it to work after that. But I still like that Curtis it's a tough blade and easy to hook up.

Regards Mike

15. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

Same thing, pump kept running. I got lucky and bumped the harness and it stopped. That's how I narrowed it down. I'm sure if I'd taken it to the dealer it would have been a new harness and an hour or two labor(out of warranty). But I'm not complaining about the plow. Things happen.

16. duramaxed

duramaxed Junior Member

Hi guys, I also have been using a Curtis, no problems as of yet. Unless you count the time I hooked on to a steel fence post in reverse and pinched a wire inside. Also i wanted to know if your plow seems to drop fast when you lower it? Mine does, and it's quite the bang for the neighboors at 4am.

Great site, kept me occupied on the days off this winter. I think I'm actually addicted to this forum. Sick of "lurking" and want to try to post/reply more.

Thanks ,
    Dave

17. 129

129 Junior Member

Help with my Curtis Plow

Being new to the Plow business, I have been on this site almost daily since I found it. I purchased a Curtis plow this year and love it. Now that the season is over here in upstate New York, I want to check under the cover leading to the hide-away hydraulics. How the heck does that cover come off? I checked the manual and it does not say. It must be simple because everything else on the plow seems simple. Any help on this small dumb issue would be a help! I do not want to start pulling and prying unless I really know what I'm doing. Thanks Scott :nod:

18. flykelley

Scott
    On my Curtis (its 3 years old) there are 2 or 3 screw's on each side. Thke them off and the cover should pop off ok.

Hope this help's Mike

19. mdb landscaping

mdb landscaping Senior Member

we have 3 curtis plows, all of which are 9 footers. so far overall they have been great plows. scrape really good and plow nice. on my plow i had the leaking from the main piston. i just tightened the nut on the top and it stopped. the dealer said it vibrates loose and to just check it from time to time. been great plows, easy to hook up.

20. tawilson

tawilson Senior Member

If it's like mine it's got 2 plastic rivets on each side with a screw in the center. Back out the screw and the rivet will come out. There's a nut on the backside that has to come off too.The cover will pop off then. I thought the rivets were pretty rinky dink so I threaded in a 1/4" bolt instead. You may have to force it some. Make sure to check under your truck too. The frame has a bolt on each side which gives the plow something to push against I guess. They were loose on my truck.