1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Runs Snow Tires in Winter Months?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by RIRAM2500HD, Dec 1, 2015.

1. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Yesterday I had four new Firestone LT WinterForce 275x70x18's mounted up to replace the stock Firestone TransForce HT's of the same size that came on the truck. I just did not have much confidence plowing with the stock tires & don't want to get stuck in the heavy stuff. I will put the stock tires back on come April as the WinterForce LT's are a dedicated winter tire. Anybody else do this here? :salute:

2. seville009

seville009 Senior Member
    from CNY

Put snow tires on in the winter? This will be an interesting thread. Just sayin'.

3. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Makes sence,
    I guess, you wouldn't put them on in the summer.

4. RIRAM2500HD

from 02914

If you have a cold do you take medicine? Just sayin

5. Dogplow Dodge

Dogplow Dodge 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Uh,

He's trying to point out that this topic has been debated hundreds, if not thousands of times in the past. Searching this topic will provide the results you're asking for.

And yes... the answer to your question is I have a set of winter Firestone Winterforce LT's on separate rims that I run during winter months. They are NOT supposed to be run on days where the ambient temperature is over 50* F, as they will wear out very quickly. A large majority of fellas on this board do the same thing that have the same concerns you have.

6. RIRAM2500HD

from 02914

How do you like the WinterForce LTs ? Do they work well in the heavy stuff? They look like they will do the job nicely ?

7. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

You need to break them in, as they take about 500 miles or so on them before you maximize traction. The manufacturer, or Tire rack (I can't remember) said that they work best after some mileage on them due to the silicones or 'release agents" used in the molds to make them are in the outermost part of the tire, hence the reason to "break them in".

Not sure if it's all BS, but I'm hopeful that I like them in the snow. They're Excellent in the cold rain, I can say that...

8. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I switch mine every season, can't go wrong doing that

9. Dogplow Dodge

from NJ

Unless you leave them outside. They dryrot from sunlight exposure.

or if you buy cheap overseas tires, as they also dryrot even kept indoors. I had a set of korean junk tires that only saw winters. When I sold them, they were starting to dryrot after just 4 years in storage, and winter use.

10. RIRAM2500HD

from 02914

Thanks . They only have about 4 miles on them from yesterday's trip from Firestone shop to my driveway. I'll have to put some miles on them as my truck is not my daily driver.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  11. maxwellp

maxwellp PlowSite.com Addict

I have the Winterforce 285-75-16. I only run them in the snow - After you plow with them you will wonder why you did not do this sooner.

12. RIRAM2500HD

from 02914

This is my very first 3/4 Ton truck with an 8' Boss plow. I've had good luck with the WinterForce tires in the winter on my DD Crown Vic . Glad they sound like the LT truck version plows well. Sounds like I made a good investment .

13. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

Save yourself the hassle just add more weight as you need more traction.
    If you know how to drive in snow,that is.;)

14. maxwellp

If all I had to plow was flat driveways and parking lots - I would say sure run whatever tire you have. But I have some that are like rock climbing in Utah. Also the more weight you add costs in fuel, brakes and many other things.

15. gc3

gc3 Senior Member

I keep mine in the basement with nitrogen, haven't rotted yet, knock on wood

16. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

You don't know much about duluth mn

Think hills
    In a city built on the side of a hill, a city that is sometimes compared to San Francisco, thousands of Duluthians live and work on the hillside. Many of them think nothing of it. They buy four-wheel drive vehicles.
    For example
    Fifth Avenue West, has a 25 percent grade. ( pictured)
    And in what some call over the "hill " are St.Paul Avenue and Minneapolis Avenue, both in the Woodland neighborhood, ranked fifth and sixth steepest with grades of 20 and 19 percent.

We use snow tires on rear drive cars....
    Ps ....tire studs are illegal too

image.jpg

17. RIRAM2500HD

from 02914

Per Boss I run with 500 Lbs of ballast over the rear wheels when plow is on. I also have a Boss TGS 600 Spreader that holds 400 lbs of salt. Truck is a reg cab 8' bed configuration .

18. maxwellp

"You don't know much about duluth mn"

Your Location says -
    Poop Scoop, MN
    Last I looked that up on Google it was flat.

I will say try some snow tires on your truck you may like it.

I plow alone and do not like getting stuck, good snow tires are just one more way that I can ensure that is more remote of a problem. To each his own. :)

19. SnoFarmer

from N,E. MN

^wrong poop scoop.
    Ahh it's ok , you just assumed, I lived in a flat area.

I also live on top of one of the higest "hills" in the area.
    Haven't needed snow tires yet.

Move the weight back a littel, I don't see why you would need snow tires unless you like to plow in 2wd
    Any decent a/t. Tire load range E will work well, try to fined a tire without a continuos center rib.

Per boss,
    Ballast Retainer – A ballast retainer can be a useful accessory to keep ballast from sliding all over in the back of your truck. The purpose of ballast is to act as a counter weight to your plow, so it should be positioned behind the rear axle, taking some of the weight off the front axle. Bagged sand is the most common material used for ballast because is it easy to load and unload and doesn’t slide around as easily as other ballast options. Although sand is less prone to slide than other materials, it is still important to keep all ballast right be behind the rear axle. The ballast retainer will ensure that the ballast stays in that place. Remember to refer to your snowplow manufacturer for recommendations regarding required ballast. http://info.bossplow.com/blog/the-ultimate-guide-to-snowplow-accessories

loosk like per boss it should be placed rear of the axel.

20. RIRAM2500HD

from 02914

I'll be plowing most of my accounts at 3am when I get out of my night job which is 7pm-3am. So I have a phobia of not getting stuck in the big storms at that time because at that time where is like nobody around to help you if you do. During the last big storm called "Nemo" I was coming home in my 2008 Ford Harley Davidson F-150 truck 4WD with 22" Street Tires. Taking an uphill exit ramp I got stuck at 3:15 AM and realized that nobody was gonna help me at all cause I was the only idiot on the road. Lol Fast forward to present time & new truck. I don't want to experience that ever again hence the " Snow Tires! " lol