1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who runs Backup Beeper

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Antlerart06, Dec 15, 2011.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I notice around here people that plows doesnt run back up alarms
    I have them on my trucks

So what your thoughts on them
  2. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

If the truck doesn't have it, we don't add it.

All of our loaders came with them on

I don't believe you want to intentionally disable them, its "safety equipment" and should be kept in working order.

Personally I can't stand the sound.
  3. xtreem3d

xtreem3d PlowSite.com Addict

on our union snow jobs we are required to have them
  4. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

All of my trucks have them, but they are wired into a switch. When in the "on" position they work as usual, when in the "off" position they are silent.
  5. tjjn06

tjjn06 Member
    from Ohio

We do the same thing.
  6. dieselss

dieselss PlowSite Fanatic

all our company trucks, skids, and loaders have them. my personal, is switched. at 3am in the middle of no where plowing, it makes no sence
  7. coleex

coleex Junior Member

Sorry guys, but anything is possible. Running over 1 person at 3 in the morning that couldn't sleep & went for a walk could easily justify having a backup beeper on. You can never be too safe.
  8. dieselss

That is true coleex. I hate to say it but, i will take my chances at the times i feel the most comfortable. It could be the middle of the day right after a storm, my strobes are a flashing, i'm backing up with beeper on and pple still dont know that i'm there plowing. and it might be my fault that they hit me? I'll take my chances.
  9. combiking

combiking Junior Member

I run mine on a switch as well. its there if i want it or not if i dont. Mostly leave it on though
  10. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

Run them on all Trucks, never ever considered putting a switch in.

We do, loosely wrap tape around a couple that do condo corps to "dull" it down.
  11. My bowtie

My bowtie Senior Member

For some reason I cant understand, the upfitter wired the BU beeper to the lights, and when I turned the truck off the dam thing would beep untill the lights automaticly went off 20 sec later..Unhooked the beeper with 20mi on the truck.
  12. abbottfarm

abbottfarm Senior Member
    from Maine

You could do that backing out of a parking space as well...People hear back up alarms all the time and become very complacent when they hear them. Paying attention to what's going on around you is the best answer. I do not disagree with having them, as all my trucks have them. But I don't need one beeping all the time on my pickup when I'm backing up in my dooryard or running errands.
  13. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

Required by law on all commercial vehicles in my state- all vehicles 10K gvwr and up are also required commercial registration... ran one on my dump as required then but I hate them. Do not run on my personal (8800 gross).They have their place, but at 2-4 am they are more of a disturbance then a help, just like amber light overkill.
    Actually had a discussion at 3am with a cop about why my truck was parked on the side of the road w/o amber running at 3am on a main road when there had been no cars since I got there 45min prior...he understood the amber rotators would wake the neighbors more then warn the non existent cars. the funny part was when he asked me to move it into the drive I was shoveling I replied, if it would fit in the drive I would have plowed it 45 min ago and wouldn't be shoveling!
  14. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

I have a backup alarm that works as usual.

I also have a switch to engage the alarm at any time. It comes in real handy when throwing salt in busy commercial lots so if the idiots can't see my lights when throwing salt, then they'll at least hear me..... hopefully.

15. dieselss

Hey white. I like the idea of the dual tone beeper, only issue I see is with the def, the lights well there is brail on atms lol