1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Runs a Snow Dogg XP

Discussion in 'SnowDogg Snow Plows' started by hlntoiz, Mar 8, 2011.

1. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

I wanted to get some feedback on the Snow Dogg XP? Anyone run one? I have not seen any around me actually on a truck. I would like to know how they scrape and the quality of the plow.

Any feedback would be great.

2. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

Most people skipped them for the fisher or the blizzard. I wanted one cause they look damn sexy lol. But the wings aren't independently controllable like the ones from all of the Douglas Dynamic's companies. It is due to the patent that DD has on their design I believe but don't quote me on that.

I run a SnowDogg MD75, and was going to add a XP810 and a VX95 this year but backed down due to dropped contracts and valve issues?! (if I can recall correctly) with the VX series.

SnowDogg launches products too early, but their basic electrical and hydraulic components are pretty bullet proof. I would take a snowdogg straight blade any day of the week. They are reliable and cost effective, as well as built in my home state of Ohio (although most parts on the newer models are made in china and put together here). For a large company of 10+ trucks I wouldn't recommend any other company for a straight blade. Good Commercial duty, good TE plows, good standard plows to go on a run of the mill 3/4 ton truck. Universal mount and mostly interchangeable components (plug and play between diff plows).

The wings have sent us to a Fisher vs. Meyer vs. Boss shootout for my plows this year. I won't dare put a Western as my father has us all cursed when we put 'em on the truck. That and he gave me my start and would kick me when I was down and out of the storm with the "told you so!" response to a broken down Western. (even though I think they are great plows).

3. npi9181

npi9181 Member

What do you mean the wings are not independently controlled they each go in and out with their own button the ones I have sold have been great 2 people are looking at getting another one next year they love them

4. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

The wings are independently controlled but fixed at a 20 degree angle, they do not rotate because of the DD (formerly Blizzard) patents.

5. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

I have a video of run running but I need to resize it....too larger to upload

6. Matson Snow

Matson Snow PlowSite.com Addict

Why Don't you let People that OWN one talk about the Pros and Cons of this Plow....Im also curious about this plow.....But, the last thing i wanna do is read a Long winded rant about a Plow YOU have never used.....:dizzy:

7. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

So the wing goes to 20 degrees then expands?

Please post that up here when you get it up. I am very curious.

8. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

9. Jim@esitrucks

Jim@esitrucks Inactive

The wings are constant 20 degree angle

10. NICHOLS LANDSCA

NICHOLS LANDSCA PlowSite Veteran

I would see that as a positive thing, less moving parts.

11. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

No they are fixed at 20 degrees and they simply extend from 8 to 10 feet. The forward rotation is what the DD (formally blizzard) patent covers.

12. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

You're right I don't own one. But guys whom sub for me have owned blizzards and wide-outs. So I have seen it first hand and demo'd them. So I believe I have the experience the thread starter was looking for (and I also got a good look at an XP locally).

By independently controllable I meant independently articulated front and rear. Sorry for the mis-wording of sorts. The plow is always in a slight scoop, just left, right, center, and extended scoop.

I like whomever brought up moving parts.... It is a good point, but a simple design doesn't mean less parts necessarily. I.E. even though it looks a lil more simple it may have more internals and stress points. I don't know how to answer that one because I have not looked over and counted everything on each different design.

13. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

That guy in Erie really needs to get his hands on that plow.:popcorn:

14. Matson Snow

Keep up the Good work......Thumbs Up

15. Matson Snow

I agree....Then i would really consider this Plow.....:salute:

16. DaytonBioLawns

DaytonBioLawns Banned
    from 45458

I love how on PS at the end of the season everyone is a basher. I was sharing my opinion on them. Simple as that. The op can take it for what it is worth to him/her.

Running a similar plow does give me more cred than someone whom has never run one. I wouldn't give up the options on your fisher for his dogg with the price of the dogg. Simple as that.

I don't think they sold many XP's this year so I doubt anyone will pop up on here with a good track record of one yet. So I figured lets do the best we can with what we have to work with. I run SD and have seen one push and played with the controller a bit. That is my extent with the SD XP. That is more than most can say....but by no means makes me an expert.

Here is my advice to the op. Try them all....look at the price and decide what is worth it for you. Do you want the base model or the cadillac? If they are all close enough in price in your area pick a color or draw from a hat if you can't decide.

17. npi9181

npi9181 Member

I have plowed with one great on parking lots makes a lot quicker having the wings angled and not moving makes for less parts to break the wings keep working even when they get hit heard from another dealer that they had a customer hit a telephone pole with the wing at a good clip and the wing still went in and out fine simple is sometimes better my friend does drive ways at 10 ft cut his time down drastically he is getting another one next year for his new truck he use to only run red plows

18. JohnnyU

JohnnyU 2000 Club Member

Disclaimer for Matson: I've not yet had the chance to run the XP, but have quite a bit of seat time with an 810 and even longer with a straight blade and pro-wings. That, and Matt likes me, so I'm going to offer my opinion. :laughing:

My opinion is that if the wings were able to pivot, it would be the end-all be-all plow to switch over to. In fact, I'm willing to bet that there would be a different "following" associated with it, and some experienced hands working on improvements. If you catch my drift.

For what plowing I do (Medium-sized commercial and rural lanes), the ability to fully extend the wings straight makes that first pass a quick pass. Then pivoting the leading wing forward 25° to act as a gate while still windrowing with the trailing wing left straight is what makes the Blizzards real snow-moving machines.

How big of a difference would having the trailing wing pitched forward really make you ask? I tried that experiment as well. It's really no different than trying to windrow in scoop mode. While it's not impossible, the snow does not roll off the blade nearly as well, nor get thrown nearly as far. What would have been a relatively short but wide windrow is now a narrow deep snow wall. The added resistance caused by the trailing wing being pitched forward will also have a noticeable impact on fuel consumption.

The bottom line is this: I think that either the XP or the Blizzard would be FAR superior to a straight blade alone, however the added versatility of the wing rotation makes the Blizzard the clear winner.

Of course, parts availability is also a big factor...

19. hlntoiz

hlntoiz Senior Member
    from NW, CT

:salute::nod::cool:

20. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

That would make it a Western.