1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who runs a 2nd generation dodge?

Discussion in 'Ram Trucks' started by pipelayer, Aug 16, 2015.

1. pipelayer

pipelayer Senior Member
    from CT

picked up a 2001 dodge cummins diesel. its not my first, its my 3rd one of these trucks, but will be the first to get a plow. its a low mileage rather rust free truck good shape. just worried bout the typical 2nd gen stuff, auto trans, front end issues. im thinking of retiring my 02 7.3 its succumbed to rust, and has a quarter million on it. but i had a few commercial plow guys tell me it costs them more to keep the dodge on the road than its worth, with front end parts, and misc things every season. i run an 8.5' V and a stainless sander, and i dont want to ditch my ford which has been nothing but good, for this dodge if its not gonna hold up. just want some opinions. i do commercial lots and a mix of residentials.
  2. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

I plow with a 99 2500 gas with an 8' fisher and tailgate salter loaded up with a pallet of bagged salt. my trans was rebuilt @ 125000 miles and has been trouble free sence then. my only issue now { besidess the bed being rotted out} is the front end all needs to be replaced. Being that I don't really trust all those cheap aftermarket replacement parts available online It's gonna cost me more than the truck's worth to fix the front end with quality brand name Mooge parts. other than that, the truck has been good to me and has been my plow truck for the past 4 years. I'm now considering buying another rust free second gen Ram 2500 or a third gen 2500 to replace my 99
  3. Koonta

Koonta Junior Member

I've been plowing since '01 with a '98 12 valve, stick, put in a couple wheel bearings, a couple of "U" joints and a front drive shaft [the splines wore out], love it. push a 7'6" "v" with wings which puts it a little over 9'
  4. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I have 2. The first 1 is a 96 ive rebuilt the front end. And a trans. Parts are reasonable the second one s a 98 2500 gas keep up on your maintenance and they will serve you well. If you plow with anything long enough somthing is going to wear out sooner or later
  5. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Those front ends are easy to work on. The worst part is getting the original hubs out. There is nothing wrong with the aftermarket stuff. Some even have lifetime warranties. One upgrade I would do is upgrade that vacuum operated axle connect to a solid one. There is a collar that permanently locks it. It's a work truck, not a Prius and you won't notice any MPG changes with the front end always locked in.

The good thing about those trucks is parts are plentiful and you can still crawl under the hood to wrench.
  6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

You saying Prius don't make good work trucks?

Seen this one today.

7. rjigto4oje

rjigto4oje PlowSite.com Addict

I bet that was in Kalamazoo!!!
  8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Seen it at 75th and 355.

9. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

LOL. That's great.
  10. derekslawncare

derekslawncare PlowSite.com Addict

Wow! I'm guessing he's not still seeing the 50MPG. Bet it stops on a dime too. ROFLMAO :laughing::laughing:
  11. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

Is that the location of the photoshop booth?

The hitch from the trailer looks to be at the height of the hatch opening.
    And I don't see a reciver or the end of a trailer hitch on the car.
    Just say'en.

Butt if ya seen it, ya seen it.:drinkup:

Or maybe they made a hitch out of duck tape and toung depressors
    Last edited: Sep 19, 2015
  12. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

I've been running a 2001 2500 V8 5 speed. I haven't had any problems but then I've upgraded the front to lock-out hubs and done a few other linkage/suspension upgrades...370,000 miles on original trans. Getting ready to switch it over to the 6.7 Cummins but only because I learned a lot about diesels since I bought it new back in 2000.
  13. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

Don't be afraid of those cheap parts, I used them often on my 99 Ram 2500 that carried my Snowdogg 9'6" V plow. They were cheap, included everything to rebuild the front end, and they worked flawlessly. Best part, they were cheap enough that I didn't care if they lasted 2 seasons and needed to be replaced. As mentioned, they are fairly easy trucks to work on anyways
  14. cubplower

cubplower Senior Member

Running a 95 12 valve 2500 with 5 speed stick with 130k. Plowed three winters, replaced everything in front end once and is tight Still after three winters heavy plowing. Had a problem with snap ring on output shaft of transfer case. An upgraded ring is 40 bucks and 30 minutes fixed.

Only real problem I've had is that I've had to put 2 transmissions in the truck(meaning it has had 3 including stock). But this is expected as I at one point had the truck turned up a bit and thought I could still use it for heavy towing(very heavy)
  15. CAT 245ME

CAT 245ME PlowSite.com Addict

I have a 99 Ram 2500 short bed extended cab, 360 engine 2" leveling kit with 285/75/16. Truck has over 210,000 miles on it had a new transmission put in it buy previous owner 3 years ago after truck came from Florida.

It's been put through two very harsh winters of record snow, I've replaced the front wheel bearings and all new exhaust (manifolds to the tail pipe), I have a Boss 8'2 steel flat top V with Boss wings making it 10', wings never come off. 8' Daniels pull plow added to it.

The truck is my first non GM truck, it has been a solid bulldozer in the snow, by far the best plow truck I've owned, wish it had a Cummins though, truck is solid enough for a Cummins swap, if I had a donor truck. Truck has made enough money the past two winters to pay for a new truck. But I wouldn't trade it for a new one, I'd rather find another 2nd Gen first.
  16. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

I know im a little late on this thread but the 2nd gens are easy to work on, Parts are everywhere and the 5.9 is a beast and also easy to work on...

I have an 02 cummins 6 speed... Really the worst item is the tranny.. If you get it rebuilt and upgradded a little they arent that bad... Front ends are decent if you use quality parts... Hope you have a fuel psi gauge on it(assume you do since its not your first) I have a hard time plowing with mine since mine is 90% rust free with 160k on it.. Maintenance is the key to keeping them up and running...

And what the heck guys where is all the pics at??? Im a sucker for a good looking 2nd gen.. Been that way since the movie twister came out!! lol

Been told im crazy for putting a plow on a nice truck
  17. RIRAM2500HD

RIRAM2500HD Senior Member
    from 02914

Good to see the Ole Dodges Running !

SHAWZER PlowSite.com Addict

Dodge makes it , Cummins breaks it . ...:D
  19. Laszlo Almasi

Laszlo Almasi Senior Member

Ramitt, what company/who makes that hood you have on there?
  20. Ramitt

Ramitt Senior Member

Made by a company called ramairhood... They dont make them anymore..I think they stopped in 08..