1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who runs 16' boxes on what machines?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Sep 18, 2012.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

How heavy of a front end loader are you running? Anyone run them on backhoes? We're looking to rent a front end loader from JD for the winter and run a 14 or 16' box for a trucking depot, runs are long and need it to push from one end to the other, or as far as possible so we don't have to break the piles up half way through as much.

Trucks can't do most of the 1800~x200ft wide area. I'd like to be able to hug the trailers necks and scrape away as much snow in front of them and underneath if possible, so more box hanging off the sides of the machine is better.

2. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

A 644 JD would be a nice fit. Also a 950 cat.

3. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

We run 14' on our machines, only because I want the ability to road the machine if necessary & 16' would be too much going down the road (14' is really iffy). My 740-7 Hyundai, roughly 150hp, 26,000 lbs, is rated to push a 16', and I m sure it would. Our Fiat is 40,000lbs, & 200 hp, I have no idea what it would push, but again it has a 14' on it. Protec has a chart on their website as well.

4. sk187

sk187 Senior Member

We run them on 544 and 644 JD's, 644 is the correct size but a 544 will do.

5. Neige

Neige Sponsor

16 is way to much pusher for a backhoe. The 16 foot for loaders are to high to fit under the trailers

6. Masssnowfighter

Masssnowfighter Senior Member
    from ma

ramair
    get a Arctic LD14. It is 16' wide and it is short enough to fit underneath the trailers. I have a 25 acre trucking terminal and that is what i use for under the trailers, another trick is to offset the pusher all the way to one side that way you will have a solid 8 feet to get underneath the trailers