1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who plows with the 6.0, trany temp ???

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by wkahler, Aug 17, 2010.

1. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Well just got the new truck and wondering if there is any reason to install a larger transmission cooler on the motor for plowing?? Never plowed with the gas 6.0 so looking to you guys for the wisdom and what you guys have experienced with the motor. I found a large unit that is fairly cheap, but not sure if its worth it. What size does it have factory? Do you guys notice anything with your temp. when plowing? My truck has a factory setting that will show me the trany temp on the selection.

Here is what i was looking at:
    http://www.etrailer.com/Transmissio...+Sierra/2010/D13105.html?vehicleid=2010749359

2. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

When I had my 6.0L, the transmission temperature was just fine when plowing. It'll creep up when you're driving on the road with the plow up, but it goes back down pretty fast when the fan clutch kicks on, or when you start plowing again - just not as fast as the engine temp drops. Keep it in Tow/Haul, and it'll last you many years.

3. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

TOW/HAUL.............never thought about that!!! Does that make a difference, like engauge a fan or something. On our car if you us the tow/haul mode it turns on a transmission cooler fan.

4. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

I'm assuming since you have a 6.0L with a temp gauge that your running a Ford Diesel? If that is the case I had the same problem on my 2005 recently. We thought it was sensor problem after talking to the dealer, so they took it in and checked it out. Long story short, computer was overcharging the turbo, causing damage to turbo, head gaskets, etc. I left the shop a week later with a new turbo, computer module, head gaskets, and upgraded head bolts. All under warranty thank god! ($6k roughly) I drove the truck 1000 miles home when I bought it like this and the gauge fluctuated all the time, but never smelled hot, never had low coolant, and really seemed like it was an error. All this happened without a plow on it. My other 6.0 Fords haven't had any issues.

5. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

As stated above, Tow/Haul mode is probably your best bet. While plowing mine usually runs around 175, however if i'm in some real heavy stuff it'll creep up to around 200, i try not to go above that. I've found the factory cooler to be sufficient whether towing or plowing. I have the filter changed every year and the system completely purged every 2 years. 108k so far and no problems to report.

6. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Well since i posted int he Chevy section i am guessing its a chevy, LOL!!! Not its the 2010 GMC 2500 HD with the 6.0 gas motor. I recently switched from a diesel to a gas and just trying to get things lined up for the coming winter!

7. mayhem

mayhem PlowSite.com Addict
    from Peru MA

Chevy 3/4 tons and higher have had tranny temp gauges in the dash since the NBS debuted. My 2000 2500 has one.

8. ff610

ff610 Senior Member

Yeah makes sense now. I have a couple Chevy's with the 6.0 but I guess I forgot they even had tranny temp gauges since I don't drive them much now. I must have been a little tired when I found the thread! No problems ever with any of my Chevy's tranny temp gauges though. Good luck!:mechanic:

9. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Well sounds like we will keep it stock, minus the new Firestone Air Shocks on the front end!!

10. Q101ATFD

Q101ATFD Senior Member

Tow/Haul changes the shift patterns, and keeps the transmission cooler engaged at all times.

11. wkahler

wkahler Senior Member

Got it thanks Q101ATFD!!

12. SServices

SServices Senior Member

Mine runs about 180 plowing and towing. Had to replace the clutch fan once since I have owned it.

13. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

I'd spend the $ and do the upgrade....my truck pushes 200 in summer with trailer and in winter with my 8'6....i just purchased the upgrade, waiting for it to get here haha

14. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

here it is installed....noticed tranny running much cooler while towing...well worth the $150 (installed)

IMG00089-20100825-1424.jpg

15. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

nice

looks good i wanted to do something like that to my 05 1500 but my transmission lines run threw the radiater. like 2 in one i hate it so much i have noticed my temps have got up to 210 i allmost want to take the factory one out and put 2 separate ones in
    but it looks good

16. B&B

B&B PlowSite Fanatic

There's constant cooler flow as soon as the engines running....

17. bru z71

bru z71 Senior Member

all this talk about tow / haul mode

mine just **** the bed to day haha and my airbag censer just went let the head aces start