1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who plows with Feet/Shoes

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by pjnlandscape, Dec 23, 2010.

1. pjnlandscape

pjnlandscape Member

Hey everyone I am new to plowing as of this year. I plow driveways only for now. I have an 8' MM2 and today my uncle stopped by and commented on the fact that I have left the feet on my plow. He said "Its time to take those training wheels off that plow, nobody plows with those." My uncle plowed for many years both commercially and residential so I am inclined to trust his opinion. But what do all of you experienced snow pushers do?
  2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I never use them and 99% of the guys on here don't use them.The more steel on the ground the less salt I have to use to melt the lot.
  3. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

i always have my feet on and i use boots. :jester:

oh you want info on plow not my body.

ya if you do blacktop or concrete ditch the shoes. shoes are for dirt / stone / gravel drives like that so the wear edge dont dig in and trip the blade .

and i dont know about others but i have never had good luck with fishers and shoes on. i dont run them at all. dont even own a set.

hope this helped . good luck and make sure you know what your plow job looks like before the snow hits. it makes it go better when you get there in the snow.

and if your realy new to plowin slow and steady till you get the hang of it. and if you have never been in a vehicle with a fisher plow and had the trip edge spring from hittin somthin dont crap your pants. my first time it happened to me i stoped and got out lookin for a broken plow. thay make a good firm bang/slam. and if you can plow fine in 2wd do it. cause if you get stuck in 4wd there is no backup to help your self get unstuck.
    Last edited: Dec 23, 2010
  4. mcwlandscaping

mcwlandscaping 2000 Club Member

Would be pretty damn hard to get to my truck without my feet....and my feet would be pretty damn cold without my shoes, so i plow with both all the time.

OOHHHHHH the plow shoes....they've never been on any of my plows! If anyone wants a set, come and get em'!
  5. soc

soc Junior Member
    from ny

I plow gravel drives mostly so leave them on and set them about 3/4 of an inch - by the time they sink thru the gravel a little keeps the cutting edge just above the stones
  6. grec-o-face

grec-o-face Senior Member

I scrape bare-footed. I don't want anything impeading "cutting edge to ground" contact.
  7. SMillerHD

SMillerHD Member
    from IN

shoes are for girls! Throw them in the scrap pile!
  8. glennemay

glennemay Member

What would you like for a pair of shoes? I just bought a used plow, doesn't come with any and I have an over mile long gravel road I am going to need to push. Shoes are a must.

Let me know.

STIHL GUY Senior Member
    from CT

for pavement theres no need for shoes
  10. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Well,this 30+ year experienced snow pusher takes exception to NOT using shoes there pjnlandscape. Always have and always will. The plow manufacturers put them on for a reason,they don't sell plows for either ''gravel use'' or ''paved use''--they're installed when new for any surface.They take the shock out of being slammed to the ground and help your cutting edge last much longer.If you know how to adjust your shoe shims,you will scrape just as good as without shoes.My 12 yr. old Boss cutting edges are still in decent shape.Most guys don't want to bother with the adjusting,thus the cutesy name calling--ie:'' shoes are for girls'', and like your uncle said--''training wheels'' mentality.I've never been one to follow the crowd if I feel the crowd is wrong--you know,like what your Mom said years ago about the ''jumping off the roof'' lesson.:D
  11. cpmi

cpmi Senior Member
    from CT

Like many other questions pertaining to snow plowing I think it's a matter of personal opinion and preference-with there being no right or wrong answer-personally I've never used them in the 25 years I've been plowing.
  12. Carpenter98

Carpenter98 Member

I picked up a used 9' HD and the previous owner didn't use shoes. The plates where the bolts go through for the trip edge springs are wore so far down that there is only 1/8" of metal below the bolts. I'll probably weld a piece of 1/2"x1/2" solid steel bar below the bolts to give them a little more meat.

I agree with tuney...the come with shoes for a reason.
  13. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

well in defence of most plow guys the dumb dumb that used the blade you got didnt watch for the wear. thay just got in turn key and go.

fisher said wear within spec of bolt holes then add or replace wear edge if equiped with edge. if not time to ad it to the plow.

i would hate to see the truck that blade came off of . prob drove in to the ground.
  14. Moss Man

Moss Man Senior Member
    from Maine

I have both gravel and tar driveways to plow and I tend to run the shoes for the first storm to leave a layer of snow to pack on the gravel ones. Once I have a good solid base on the gravel drives, I take the shoes off for the rest of the season. The cutting edge does a great job scrapping the surface clean when the shoes are off.

Just my 2 cents from plowing in Maine for 30 years.