1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who plows with a manual trans?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by bear466, Jan 14, 2005.

1. bear466

bear466 Junior Member

just wondering what your opinions are on plowing with a manual? i have a 2000 f-350 diesel with a 6 speed, wondering if it would be worth putting a plow on. any info would be appreciated, like how rough is it on your clutch?

2. Norman B

Norman B Junior Member

it's tough on the cluch and on your leg but the money made is well worth it. I have a 95 chevy and put 2 cluches in it so not to bad

3. farmboss088

farmboss088 Junior Member

manual

I plow with a 1996 powerstroke with a manual tranny, i love having a manual, before this truck i had a 1979 f150 with a straight six and 4spd. They have the go and in my opinion are more durable. most of our work trucks are standard diesels.

1996 F250 PSD
    Fisher Minute Mount 8'
    sho-me LEDS
    highlighter mini-bar

4. jjdonovan

jjdonovan Member

I plow for my local town with two trucks, 99 F450 dump with auto tranny and a 99 Freightliner FL60,(26,000 gvw) dump with a manual tranny. Too me there is no difference The only thing when riding the Freightliner is I do not slide the clutch in as much. The shifting is in and out fast.I feel that the truck was never built with the intentiions of hanging 1 ton of steel off of it,s nose with a bunch of frozen water to push! But then again that is just my 2 cents worth of opinion.
    JD

5. affprop

affprop Junior Member

I plow with a 1983 gmc 3500 one ton, and I got to say it sucks plowing with a standard but it still pushes snow like a tractor. 22 years old and is still a awesome running truck. my other truck is a f250 auto. and I can plow twice as fast with that as the standard trans chevy.

6. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

My 1989 Ford F-250 has a 5 Speed, And I hate it.
    It is not that bad to plow with but the transmissions are garbage in my opinion. I had to change it once already and it costs like $3500.00 Ouch.
    It is sometimes hard to shift and That I don't like.
    But I do have my Meyers Slick Stick Control Mounted right to the shifter which makes it pretty easy to control the plow.

7. jiriki87

jiriki87 Member

I had a 2000 F-350 with the 6 speed manual. I thought it was very easy to plow with. going to low to reverse was very easy. I plowed for two years with it commercially- - 20-25 events for 10 hrs each per year

Peter

8. SteveB(wi)

SteveB(wi) Member

All my plow trucks have been manuals, mostly because the trucks have been the right price and I don't plow for a living. Yes it can be a pain at times, especially I do all the neighbors dwy's on a busy street so I often have to sit at the road for long periods and they are a lot of back and forth. If I was buying a new truck and was going to plow residential I'd want an auto. If your not planning on getting a new truck anytime soon go ahead and put a plow on it. If you are going to get a new truck in the next couple of years and stay with Make and model there is a good chance the plow will be a direct bolt on the new truck. I can't vouch for the trans & clutch in your vehicle but plowing will work it harder just as it does an auto trans, steering etc. If you do mount one think about plow control placement. As someone else said his are on the shifter. Mine are on the left side so I can shift and raise at the same time.

9. Ground Master

Ground Master Junior Member

jpmako- does your f250 have the mazda trans or the zf trans?

10. bear466

bear466 Junior Member

thanks for all the different opinions. for the guys who do plow with a manual, where do you mount your controler?

11. thundercat99

thundercat99 Senior Member

stick

my dually has a 5spd I perfer it over a auto truck has 14000 on her and 2 seasons of comercial on her never had a problem yet

12. derekbroerse

derekbroerse 2000 Club Member

I plow with a stick exclusively. IMO if you can drive a stick properly in the first place, you can plow with it too. A clutch is much cheaper to replace than a tranny. Now I cannot speak from experience on newer trannys but the old SM465 GM fourspeed is about as bulletproof as they come. The clutch kit was worth about $250, and has been changed twice in the past 10 years (needed it the first time, the previous owner was a known clutch-rider... second time I did it b/c the throwout bearing was shot so I did it all at once--turned out the previous clutch job didn't get a new bearing... :rolleyes: )

I am going to rebuild my transmission in the springtime, as it has never been done to my knowledge. The parts to do so are only about $300 and we can do it at home. It doesn't need it really, but it is getting a little notchy in its old age and leaks a bit. I still have access to the engine shop so I can hot tank and bead-blast the cases and such. I think it could, with a little maintenance, pretty well last forever even in this rough environment. Hence why I bought an aftermarket overdrive for it rather than replacing the whole thing.

13. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

plowing with a manual sucks monkey balls

14. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

One of my trucks used to be a manual and I plowed with it for 3 years. I changed it over to auto. Auto trans is much easier on you and the truck. And just plain faster.Manual is fine if you are not doing a lot of reversing, just too slow. Auto is much easier to push up piles, ease up to curbs and obsticles, etc. I still have one manual rig, an old jeep cj that is only used for an apartment complex, I may soon convert it to auto also.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2005
  15. derekbroerse

Apparantly you can't handle it?

Yes, it is a little harder on the driver, but it is much easier on the truck.. manual trannies are just plain beefier. A bottle of aspirin is a lot cheaper than replacing an automatic.

16. JPMAKO

JPMAKO Senior Member

It has the ZF.
    When I purchased the truck about 7 years ago it kept popping out of reverse.
    Was told that the inside had some damage to it (Syncros and some other stuff) So had it replaced $3500.00 with new clutch and pressure plate.
    Last year the pedal started not coming back up by itself so took it to ford was told the pressure place was no good. $1400.00 New clutch, pressure plate, throwout bearing. Don't get me wrong it is supposedly a good transmission but I personally have not had too much luck with them.

Jason

17. trying to make

trying to make Member

I have an 89 f-350 with the zf 5 speed.with an old 9 foot western plow.plows great is just as fast as plowing with an auto.but after I plowed 56 hours straight my left leg felt like It was a dead lim.very sore.but you wont fall asleep behinhd the wheel.If its your only choice do it.If you can use an automatic I would. Some people love the manual.now I have a posi in the rear,when I get tired I turn it with the throttle.the old punch it and spin it.

18. LHlandscaping

LHlandscaping Junior Member

I've been plowing with sticks the whole time. Had 2 f-350 dumps with sticks and feel it's the best set-up for me. I have my Western MVP controlled mounted on the stick which makes it alot quicker. Anytime I plowed with an automatic it seemed to take alot longer. Also, I fell i have more control with the stick. The 6-speed ford has is nice because low and reverse are on the same gate.

19. derekbroerse

Whew... you have no idea how glad that makes me that I do my own repairs and maintenance!!

I recently sold two of those trannys on ebay, they both needed rebuilds. I'm guessing the newer stuff just isn't as tough as the older stuff.

20. OneBadDodge06

OneBadDodge06 Senior Member
    from Iowa

Sorry I'm allergic to bull$hit. J/k, Derek it comes down to preference, I hate plowin with a manual where as you probably agree that it's the only way to go.