1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who plows with a dually?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Mark13, Feb 27, 2009.

1. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm looking at a truck that happens to be a crew cab, long bed dually. Huge size difference compared to my ec/sb 1/2ton. I figure a 9ft blade is needed but there's plenty of those out there.

Just looking to see who uses a dually and what they think of it? Even better if you came from using a truck similar to what I have now.

Thanks, Mark

Pic of the truck to show what I'm talking about.
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  2. chitownsnowedin

chitownsnowedin Member
    from Chicago

I have both. Can't say I notice much of a difference other than what the size of the truck delivers. The dually can move a lot more is a tad bit slower.

To be honest, I barely notice a difference when out plowing.
  3. augerandblade

augerandblade PlowSite.com Addict

If its a two wheel drive dually, i PLOW with 2 of em. I know theres a thread devoted to guys like me who have vehicles like that that they plow with much to the chagrin of those 4X4 drivetrainers
  4. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a 4x4. 03 1 ton dodge.

Anyone do a few driveways with one also? I have 5 that I currently do. 3 country drives with room for a semi or two, and 2 city driveways, one is straight in and out and the other is a nightmare with my truck. Dually would be out of the question for it.
    It would give me a good reason to do only commercial and a few friends country driveways though. :)
    Last edited: Feb 27, 2009
  5. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

i plow with an 8x12 stake bed dually, i ush.. i used to plow with a 2500 chevy work truck. no big deal except the turning radius and the width.. the only driveway i do is my own the rest is all gas stations and bigger... i love it though and it does push more snow but in tight lot's it will take you a llittle longer just because of the turning.. if it fits the budget and you like it then get it.. everyone has there opinion on what there prefer..
  6. JCI Trans

JCI Trans Senior Member

I dont plow with a dually but just wanted to say thats one sweet looking rig. The big aluminum wheels are sweet lookin'!!
  7. WIPensFan

WIPensFan PlowSite Veteran

That is a really cool truck! I love that blue! I plow with a 07' 1-ton chevy dump with dual wheels and I think it's awesome. I do mostly residentials with a few commercial accounts. That Dodge is longer than mine but I have a Danials on the back of mine so it ends up about the same as far as manuverability is concerned. My only concern would be how much money you will spend on gas. If that doesn't concern you then buy that truck! I think a stainless steel blade would be the s**t on that thing!:cool:
  8. metallihockey88

metallihockey88 PlowSite.com Addict

sorry to get a little off topic but you might wanna check out lenzauto.com i just bought my f250 from there and must say it was worth the trip. they have an unbelievable selection of trucks, everyone is in mint condition, defiantely a great place to deal with. might wanna keep an eye on them, they move tons of trucks, new trucks in inventory everyday. they find what ya want too, they buy just as much as they sell or trade.
  9. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

It's a cummins with a 6spd, 4.10 gears so I figure mid to higher teens could be expected out of it with easy driving.
  10. sven_502

sven_502 Senior Member
    from ontario

No real help here but i just wanted to say like the other guy did, that truck is sick! How many miles are on it?
  11. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

116 or 117k

It's a nice truck as far as I can tell, the other side of the truck and the inside are just as spotless.

Also has line-x (over the rail), pac brake, Industrial Injection 62mm towing turbo, digital brake controller (prodigy possibly), undercover tonneau, b&w turnover, bully dog pmt and the obvious, wheels and steps.
  12. jryden145

jryden145 Member

I plow with a 2003 dodge dually with a v10. It has a 8.2 boss v with wings and i plow 45 residential and a bunch of commercial with no problem.

13. grasmancolumbus

grasmancolumbus Senior Member

I plow with a Chevy 1 ton dump 2 wheel drive has a 8 foot blade on it have done many driveways its not bad i have gotten it everywhere I Wanted to. (just about) really good for the wide open lots nice and heavy pushes good. Nice looooking truck you got there!
  14. kah68

kah68 Senior Member

I have an 01 Reg Cab 8' deck on it, 9' plow, works great with some weight on the back, can actually do most plowing in 2wd. My truck also has the NVG 5600 6 speed, great tranny but reverse is in a funky spot, but it's ok once you're used to it. Only two things stand out with that truck, watch those dual fenders, they can get clipped very easily and 4:10 with the 6 speed will be slow to reverse, other than that it would make a great plow/hauler truck.
  15. dan6399

dan6399 Member

I have a quad cab long bed dually and do 5 drives on top of commercial lots and a small street. The turning will be a problem especially when pulling into drives but thats the only problem Ive had as far as residentials go.
  16. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

Thanks for the responses guys.

Not 100% sure on it being 4.10's just seems like it would be most logical in a truck that size and since it's been modded for towing that they would have started with 4.10's instead of 3.54 or 3.73.
  17. BigDave12768

BigDave12768 PlowSite.com Addict

I am pretty sure the 4.10 are not available with sticks. first gear is so low already. Shoulld be a 3.73. which is still Monster low end power

One great thing about Duallys are the tires. The skinny and have great traction. So you can get away with plowing in 2wd alot.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  18. Mark13

Mark13 PlowSite Fanatic

I'm not sure about the 3rd gens but I drove a 97 2nd gen with 12v/nv4500 and 4.10s. The torque in 1st gear was crazy, 2nd was nearly the same. The only 3 gears you needed were 3-5 if you were just driving around.

If that truck was 3.73 it would be even better with the 235/80/17 tires on it.
  19. BigDave12768

New ones went from a Getrag to G56

The Manuals get worse fuel milage becuase of gearing in tranny. They are about 1-2mpg behind the auto's

The 03 would bee the NV5600

Dodge introduced the NV5600 6 speed in 1998. The early version, which is found in 1998 to 2000½ models is known to have synchronizer problems and a weak input shaft. Midway during the 2000 model year, a much improved NV5600 was introduced with a heavier 1⅜" input shaft and reliable synchronizers. At the same time, the old 12.4" clutch was dropped in favor of a 13" unit.

The NV5600, which weighs in at 465 lbs. is rated to handle nearly 20% more torque then the NV4500HD five speed. First gear and high gear are essentially the same ratios for both the NV4500 & 5600. Reverse gear is lower in the 5600 then most 4500's. The direct gear (1:1 ratio) for the 5600 is 5th, in the 4500 it's 4th. From a drivability standpoint, the difference between the two transmissions is the close ratio spacing of the 5600 doing in five gears what the 4500 does in four. Close shift ratios is a great asset for hauling and towing but a bit of a liability for daily city driving. The 6th or overdrive gear is mounted on the front of the mainshaft instead of the back like the NV4500. Consequently, the NV5600 does not have the problem of the mainshaft nut backing off.
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2009
  20. BigDave12768

There's been lots of discussion lately comparing the Mercedes G56 (photo above) to the now-obsolete New Ventures NV5600. I had seen plenty of good data on both while researching my truck purchase, and with all the rumors and opinions flying around I thought it would be useful to pass some of it along.

Initially I was convinced that I wanted an NV5600, to the point of trying to find a leftover 2005 on the lot somewhere. But the more I read, the more I liked the G56, until finally it became my transmission of choice.

The G56 is NOT a brand-new transmission. Production began at least as early as 2002 in Brazil, with production expected to reach 100,000 units annually by 2005 (and those projections were before the Americans decided to deploy it across the Ram product line).

MB's recommended applications for the G56 are "light vehicles, from 7 to 10 tons, and medium ones from 11 to 12 tons". These are not "light duty" transmissions, folks... they were originally designed for trucks MUCH bigger and heavier than ours.

See this link for more on these stats:

It happens that MB builds whole trucks, not just transmissions. So let's consider an example of the vehicles into which MB itself puts the G56:

http://www2.mercedes-benz.co.uk/con...ngle-MEDIA.tmp/Atego 815, 818, 823 CV 506.pdf

With respect to the concerns about gear ratios being better in the NV5600 vs. the G56:

For those not aware, the venerable New Venture (now once again New Process) NV5600 6 speed manual will be replaced sometime during the 2004 model year by the Mercedes Commercial division G56. The two key aspects of the G56 are:

- lower overall weight thanks to an aluminum case (compared to the incredibly heavy iron case of the NV5600)
    - higher power input

The ratios of the new G56 are a tad lower than the 5600 as well - the 5600 number is first, then the G56:
    1st - 5.63 - 6.29
    2nd - 3.38 - 3.48
    3rd - 2.04 - 2.10
    4th - 1.39 - 1.38
    5th - 1.00 - 1.00
    6th - 0.73 - 0.79
    Rev - 5.63 - 6.29

1st is a lot lower, but the higher gears are quite close. 4th and 5th are the same or nearly so, while 6th is just 8% lower. I, too, would rather have a higher ratio particularly in 6th, but you're not going to get much improvement with the NV5600. There's just not that much difference.

Also note the comment regarding weight. While researching trucks, I noticed that the gross weight of a manual 2500/3500 was higher than an auto (?!?), with a resulting lower load capacity. Some Dodge folks had attributed this to the weight of the manual transmission, which I dismissed as nonsense until I saw the above quote.

So with the G56 you get a 6 speed manual that's been in production since at least 2002 (the earliest press release I could find that mentions it), was designed for much heavier applications than we are ever likely to see, probably had a production history of at least a quarter-million units before appearing in our trucks, has very similar ratios to the NV5600, weighs much less (yielding better load capacity and MPG), and is in use across a broad range of MB and Chrysler products (leading to good familiarity and support at local dealers).

I wish my G56 had better gearing at the top end, but otherwise I'm really happy I have the G56 and not the NV5600.