1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who plows with 295's??? GY Duratracs??

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ommegang, Mar 31, 2011.

1. ommegang

ommegang Senior Member
    from wi

I am going to switch from My OEM 275 Continental Duracraps to GY Duratracs. I can choose from 275 or 295. I would prefer 295. I would like input from those who plow with 295s or Duratracs. I plowed twice with 305's and the hydroplaning was noticable but nothing drastic. Just want to make sure I don't regret plowing with with 1" wider tires. 1" doesn't really sound like much.

Thanks in advance,

2. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I have run 285's on my one ton Chevy for the last five years. They have given a great ride and never let me down plowing.
  3. justme-

justme- 2000 Club Member

FWIW, I have plowed with 235/85's and 265/75's...(not duratrac) and find the extra inch width in these sizes at least minimally effective in regard to hydroplaning. I had to go to a wider tire (the 265/75 from the stock 245/75) to get that extra inch for dry traction- I was finding the rears were wearing too fast and scrubbing/slipping on turns too easily. Going to the wider tire eliminated 95% of that and plow fine as long as the tire has good tread- when they wear they hydroplane but any tire will no matter what width.
  4. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

285 is what we use
  5. Super D

Super D Junior Member

I have the Goodyear Duratrac on my truck and I love the preformance and the wear out of them. Mostly my front tires with the diesel and plow. I mostly am in 2wd with nothing in the bed when i plow only time i goto 4x4 is when im down a hill and backing up thats about it.
  6. linycctitan

linycctitan Senior Member

I was running 285/70/17 wrangler's and loved them. I upped to 295/70 Nitto Terra grapplers and they do well also. I wanted to get the Duratrac's as I have heard nothing but great about them, but got the Nitto's for half of what I would have spent on new GY's. Since money is tight it was a no brainer.
  7. 06Sierra

06Sierra PlowSite.com Addict
    from Maine

I have 267 70 17 Duratracs. They are a great tire. They handle the snow and rain very well.