1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Plows Hotels/Motels?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by fakie99, Jan 25, 2004.

1. fakie99

fakie99 Junior Member

WE just started in the snow rem. business this year, and secured 6 motels as part of our route. I have to say, these motels are turning out to be a HUGE problem. Can any of you relate to this:

each motel needs plowing when 1) the snow is done and 2) the next day after 11AM when people have checked out. No problem coming back twice; it's in our contract. But the managers dont want us working in the middle of the night when we're out on the rest of our route becuase it wakes the guests.

Also, the lots are tight, and some of the hotels have "permanant guests" meaning we are weaving in and out of cars the whole time. snow cannot be windrowed off to one side, as there are cars on both sides of all the lanes we plow.

Not to mention, the motels are the only ones we ever hear complaining from. And it happens every time it snows: where are you? Why are you here - it's too late at night? Stop making so much noise. I need to be cleaned up better. etc. etc.

Who else does hotel/motel work and how do you manage to not commit suicide every storm?

Any thoughts are appreciated.....:realmad:

2. ghostrunner

ghostrunner Member
    from PA

Apts

I do some apartments that have the same issues. I just come once in the night to "open" them up then I come back during the day(after 11am) when all the cars are gone and do the clean up. If they call and want me to come sooner I do. If they complain because I make so much noise in the night I just come back later.

3. lawnkid

lawnkid Senior Member

Sounds like they are a PITA but have you considered using like a v-plow with a u-edge on it to make it not so noisy because yes plows with standard carbide edges can sometimes be very loud.
    We plow all apartments so we try to get all of the lanes plowed and salted before everyone starts heading off to work, and then we cleanup the parking spaces and the slush much like ghosterunner said. But then again, don't let your customers run your business and force you to do things you don't want to. You be the boss and decide what's right for the customer along with yourself. Good luck

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

Yes you have picked up 6 PITA accounts just starting out. I suspect they were available because other contractors have filled up with better accounts. I hope your financial return compensates for your head aches. As for the equipment necessary to make your life easier, you will have to figure that out. Whether it be a Blizzard 810, or a V blade, Back blade etc. My philosophy is to let the customer tell me what he wants and charge him accordingly. The motel owner will soon realize if he co-operates with you by getting people to move the cars when you arrive after 11 a.m. then his cost will be lower. I had the arrangement with one Apt. complex that when I arrived I rang all there bells and they came out and moved their cars to one side, then the other. Anything can be negotiated.

5. gpin

gpin Senior Member

The uedge is a great suggestion and worth the investment. But, did you ever wonder why it was relatively easy to get the contracts your first season? Motel/Hotels and apartments are a PITA. If you do a good job for them they will work with you and you will gain a boatload of experience. Once you have conquered Motels/Hotels, move into offices and industrial complexes.

6. Mdirrigation

Mdirrigation Senior Member

congradulations on the motels , If you want to increase your stress level you now need to add some high traffic convenience stores and gas stations to your accounts.

7. ProEnterprises

ProEnterprises Senior Member
    from CT

my dad and his borthers work the same way during storms.

they own about 6 complexes. once we get about 2 inches we hit it until it stops.

typically dont touch the walks or steps until it is totally stopped.

during the storm-we keep hitting the runways and aprons to keep things open.

when stopped-we come back midday to do parking spots and walks.

if we need to go in at night-then we will. dont really care if they get woken up:rolleyes:

8. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

My summer time boss does I think 6 or 8 hotels. Haven't talked to him in a while but I know he usually makes out pretty good, they keep calling him back and giving him more accounts.

9. Runner

Runner Senior Member

LOL! This is EXACTLY what I was thinking! The FUNNY thing about it is, is that they are many of times owned by the same turbin wearing families. :nod:

10. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

I have some apt. I do and I get complaints all the time. "You woke me up" and "Can you do this some other time". I just tell them if they don't like it they can move. I can do that, I own the buildings. :gunsfiring:

11. Landscaper 70

Landscaper 70 Junior Member

We have the same problem

We have a few hotels and have the same problem. So we just do the runways at night and then come back the next day to do the rest. Hey Runner, what does it matter what the have on their heads it money. I don't think there is a place for your rude comments about people's race here.:nono:

12. Runner

Runner Senior Member

You're right, and I meant no offense, but it has been my experience that most of the time, trying to get money from these people is like trying to squeeze blood from a turnip. I know way too many people that have had bad experiences with this, including myself. I also remember one time, the guy that I usually get my gas from asked if I could do his station for $15, and his motel (big) for $25. I just said "Yeah,.. right!"