1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who plows for towns? Pros cons?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by 02powerstroke, Oct 24, 2008.

1. 02powerstroke

02powerstroke PlowSite.com Addict

I'm looking at plowing for the town I live in. They pay $65 an hour to plow town roads. Has anyone had good or bad luck with this. I know you would make more doing private stuff but that seems to have more problems than plowing roads for the town. idk some insight would be good.

2. 02powerstroke

Plowing for towns?

(posted this in the wroung spot sorry) I'm looking at plowing for the town I live in. They pay $65 an hour to plow town roads. Has anyone had good or bad luck with this. I know you would make more doing private stuff but that seems to have more problems than plowing roads for the town. idk some insight would be good.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Didn't Mass. have a big stink about not paying the guys who plowed the roads last yr?
    How many miles or hours are you planing on?

4. USMCMP5811

USMCMP5811 Senior Member

Plowing for Town's aren't bad for the most part. Pay about the same as the state and you usaly get your money with in two weeks after you submit a bill rather than Mass Hiway where you have to wait untill August to get your money.

5. 02powerstroke

The state was horrible last year this is town paid. And hours/miles depends on how much you want to plow last year a friend of mine went for 24hrs straight switching me out as a driver. Finishing routes going back geting a diffrent one and pushing on.....

6. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

For YEARS it has taken the state 6 to 8 months to pay the plowers. I dont know about towns I expect each town is different.

7. 02powerstroke

The reason I like this is that its snows they call me I go to the town barn punch in get my route plow till I'm done punch out go home. get a check end of story. No bidding, no eastimating , no hunting people down for money.

8. big acres

big acres Senior Member

drive slow! jk -sounds like easy going though never have done municipal. Good luck!

9. mmtwin

mmtwin Member

When I lived in Ma. Plowed for town of burlington. Pay was every two weeks. The same as there own DPW workers. I thought it was easy. Advice go slow, and check out for obstacles in your route. Like raised manholes. Curbs that fade out and mark all with flag on side of road is what I did.

10. scottL

scottL PlowSite.com Addict

Given the state of the economy and most cities, towns and states are basically rated near junk I'd ask them straight up if they secured credit and available dollars to cover plowing costs. I suspect the local idiots will start to see the bills and freeze pay until push comes to shove.

11. scitown

scitown Senior Member

Just remember after the 1st of January the towns always seem to "run out of money". They will try to keep up with a storm by sanding and salting with town trucks as long as possible. The town of Scituate and Hingham last year tried this up to about 4 inches of snow sometimes more toward the end of the winter. When they finally did call in the subs they were not out for very long. Listening to the police and town scanner last February ( I think it was) the police were calling the DPW trying to talk them into putting the blades on and clearing the roads instead of sanding. It was entertaining to say the least. (Police) Ah....We are sliding around pretty good out here you guys are going to have to clear some of these intersectionor at least the station parking lot (they couldn't get the cruisers out!)...DPW..Yeah we are just waiting for the weather report to see if we can keep up with it using sand and salt.(this was at 10:45 pm, waiting for the local weather to come on, yeah they go by the weatherman from the 11 pm news, we all know how good those guys are). (police) Well can you come sand and salt the station for us then because we can't get out. The end of the winter if they have sand and salt left they will use it before they have to pay plow guys. The sand and salt is already paid for. It doesn't seem like a bad way to plow but you will find yourself watching it snow without anything to do sometimes. My advice is to get in real good with the super of the DPW and get your name as close to the top of the list as you can. I subed for HIngham last year and was not called once after January and the guys that were called only went out for a couple of hours per storm. I ended up picking up a bunch of driveways becuase some of my landscaping customers drove by my house saw the plow and called. Hey give it a shot.

12. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

plowing roads is EASY, very minimual liabilty , not too hard on your truck . ALthough i note, that i have plowed a frew streets, and due to the constant salting, the snow is very heavy , and really boggs the truck down at times,

but theres no backing up, its proablly a good way for beginners to learn to plow

i think payment might be a problem , i would stay on top of them. Hope , but dont expect payment for many months

13. 02powerstroke

You get paid like the people that work for the DPW on the following thursday and you get a W-2 from them at the end of the year.

14. affekonig

affekonig Senior Member

I've plowed for the city for 10 years and never had a problem other than the fact that I only plow courts. Plowing circles with driveways and islands is pretty terrible, but you're right: no bidding, hourly pay, no customers and money on a schedule.

15. mercer_me

mercer_me PlowSite Fanatic

Sounds like a good deel to me but a F-250 isn't big enough to plow roads you need atleast a Chevy 4500 or Ford F-450 with a wing. I personaly think Ford 8000 and 9000 are the best for plowing roads.

16. mulcahy mowing

mulcahy mowing Senior Member

:dizzy::salute::eek::dizzy:
    A 3/4ton is fine for plowing roads diesel would be even better. My town just bought 5, 2008 F250's with 8' fisher HD plows. he will be fine

17. mercer_me

People that plow roads with pick ups realy make me mad.:realmad: If you wan't to plow any more than a couple of miles you need a big truck with a wing!

18. bribrius

bribrius PlowSite.com Addict

has anyone introduced you to mil yet?

19. mercer_me

No Why? Should I know him?

20. Mark Oomkes

Mark Oomkes PlowSite Fanatic

This from a guy who was seriously looking into a Snowbear. :dizzy: :jester: :dizzy: :jester:

But this is from your experience in plowing roads in Massachusetts, right? Because you commute from Maine so you know what would be best, right?