1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who pays the most for bulk salt? areas of the US?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

i see online, some companies selling 5 yards minimum @ $120/ $150 or even $160+ a ton!

in jersey, i guess ours is actually pretty low, last year it was in the $70 range, this year was high $80s... but thats per "yard", which a yard is roughly 2500lbs.

My one salt yard supplier generally gets us a little more than that even for their normal customers. Ive seen them fill a 2 yarder heaped up really high with 2 buckets for $170~

and one bucket in a 1.7 yarder filled it most of the way for paying for 1 yard.....

Is bulk in your area real expensive or not?
  2. Bajak

Bajak Senior Member

I can only speak for up herein Canada.Goderich is our biggest mine or producer of rock salt.they also produce most of the table salt on this side of the planet. We also have discovered tonnes of diamonds. I am not by any means telling you how to invest. Canada is a huge trade partner for The U.S.. As a Canadian I will chose to invest here in Canada with a population of less than 10% of North America and our oil sands and our untapped natural resources. Since before Regan was President, Canada has secured our place as an economic fortress. Look north my friend and never look back. Play your cards right and never worry about the tiny things that seem to be a big deal. I hope you see through my banter.
  3. dmontgomery

dmontgomery PlowSite.com Addict

I paid $160 per ton, for dry salt.......the last time I bought.........still cheaper than bagged but not great.......
  4. leon

leon Senior Member

salt supplies

In some ways it is simple to to answer and in some ways it is not easy to answer.

In your area most of the salt used for deicing is solar salt brought in by either international or Morton from the Caribbean salt pans.

Saying there is shortage of salt is really not factual as it all depends on weather, existing supplies, obligations by suppliers to fulfill contracts up to and including 125 percent of salt desired and especially the waste of salt by the end user.

No one is willing to or carries enough deicer to carry them through the winter season, one because of the cost and two because of the area require to store it

Gouging/we have to raise our prices because our suppliers raised our prices/ is another problem.

The two mines in my area have between them 1,250,000 tons of stored product on their properties and almost 2 million tons of salt stored at regional stock piles either owned by them or managed by others. Morton brings salt into Ogdensburg from its Magdelan island mine in Quebec Sifto salt ships salt out of Goderich, Ontario by rail, ship and truck.

Most of the salt produced from the Louisiana mines is barged north and stck piled in many places.

Price is always driven up by the lack supplies or down by the more available supplies of any commodity not just salt. that is why mason sand is always a bargain.
  5. Ipushsnow

Ipushsnow Senior Member

We started the year around $150 per ton, we got it hard with snow in December and I was being quoted $200 per ton in January. We hardly got any snow January and February and prices fell back to around $140. Now that our season is just about over the lowest I have seen it is $90.00 Yep, from $200 to $90 in 2 months!
  6. The mayor

The mayor Senior Member

Where are you getting the salt from?
  7. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

As a muni I paid $41 ton last year.
    This year I am paying $140.
  8. bigearl

bigearl Senior Member

In December 2008 I paid $80 a ton delivered I live in Central ny near Syracuse
  9. ColumbiaLand

ColumbiaLand Senior Member

Paid 160 Per Yard For Magic Salt, Bought About90 tons.
  10. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

Washington County got lucky. They had a special contract, and got salt for $45 a ton. Our next county over didn't have the same contract, and got hosed.
  11. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

we're paying $52.65/ton :dizzy: :waving:
  12. TurfSolutionsMN

TurfSolutionsMN Senior Member
    from MN

Where do you get yours from??? Let me in!!
  13. XplowX

XplowX Junior Member

Hey Bigearl if you dont mind me asking where r u getting your salt from, im in the utica area. thanks ryan
  14. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

85/ton delivered in CT 08-09. Paid like 75 last yr..