1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who pays someone to install your lights?

Discussion in 'Strobe Lighting' started by bossman22, Jan 2, 2010.

1. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

I went to someone today to see if they could install my strobes. One guy gave me a price of $800. I immediatly left and never looked back. The next guy told me $250. I dont know what a good price would be. I dont know how to do them myself and am just going to have to suck it up and pay. How much did all of you pay to have yours install? Thanks
  2. SafetyLighting

SafetyLighting Senior Member

Are you providing the parts?
  3. EGLC

EGLC PlowSite.com Addict

After seeing someone poorly install mine from now on I'm going to do it myself. Totally not worth the $200+ the local places want for a simple strobe install......and by doing it yourself you can make sure everything is 110% waterproof lol
  4. NorthernSvc's

NorthernSvc's Senior Member

paid around 2,000 for 6 hideway leds, 4 federal signal vipers in rear window, and side windows, laptop mount with power running to it, and a power wire to the back of the truck for my v-box for a led light on it.
    everything was included. did a damn nice job... worth every penny. on a ford f-350 extended cab with upfitter switches.
  5. SafetyLighting

The best thing you can do is ask for references or at least talk to them about the installation methods. Not all installations are the same.
  6. Too Stroked

Too Stroked Senior Member

In most cases, you get what you pay for. I've seen (and corrected) some truly scary installations. In some cases though, the real damage was already done by somebody hacking into a harness or something worse. If you truly care about quality - and you know what you're doing, a self installation might make sense. It's pretty easy to get in over your head though. Then you're really in trouble. Remember, nobody likes trying to fix somebody else's screw ups.

My advice, look at a prospective installer's work and talk to some previous clients. You'll find out pretty quick if they're any good or not. Also, don't rush anybody. When rushed, even the best of us can prove we're human and screw up.

BTRBLDR Member

I asked a friend of mine who got them installed and he told me $800. I thought he was kidding! I bought my kit on ebay for a smoking deal and did the install myself in about 2-3 hours. I also helped out another friend put his in, its not that tough just follow the directions and you will be fine.
  8. Mems

Mems Senior Member
    from Maine

If you talking about hideaway strobes do them yourself. Its not all that hard. Best tool by far is a step bit. Ask around to a few friends,
  9. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

i did mine myself, heres what you do.
  10. ajslands

wesportok so i had to switch from phone to laptop...

heres what you do,
    1. get a drill that can hold a 1" bit
    2. go to harware store and get 1" but, a 7/8" bit and a gramuet i think its called (a piece of rubber put in a hole to prevent metal from slicing wire), also you will need silicone and 10 amp glass fuse, 3 amp regulard fuse, and a few butt connectors, and some 14 ga wire, and a switch, 2 switches if you want to change pattern and 3 if you want to have a Hi/ LO powermode (i just have 2) (mode and on/off
    3. put your power supply under your seat (drivers seat) drill a hole under the carpet, this requires pulling up that plastic step, run all your wires under it and there will be a hole in your firewall some where, so find it and put wires to battery, and run your passenger strobe thru there too.
    4. that 7/8" hole that you put under your carpet, put your other 3 wires in there, and run the 2 back ones up into the lights. and the drivers side up thru the engine compartment.

5. headlights first, (if you werent able to find a 1" bit, you can use a door handle drilling bit)
    6. mark where you want you lights, mine are on top, and drill slowly, if you do crack it, there only about 500$ lights to replace :D .... so drlll. place the strobes in the light, make sure there not touching anything and silicone time. si,licone it it and your good,
    7. ok so after your headlights are done, pull your tail lights out, if your smart, you would know that you have to turn your bulb holders counter-clockwise, and they will come out, and then your tail light will come off, now if its warm out side you can drill this out side but if its cold, below 40' then do it inside. drill the hole where you think the light wont touch plastic (it will melt the plastic). put the light in and silicone the S*** out of it, you dont want water getting in there.
    8. hook all your wires up and your good. (you can not have the ground be a poice of metal for your power supply, you must complete the circiut, and run it to the neggitave of the battery, then hoook up your switch, and your good,

this took me about 2 hours total time.

have fun and if you need help pm me Good luck
  11. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

Alright thanks alot guys for all the replies. You all are making me think twice for sure. I just asked one of my friends dad and he said he would do it. So that takes alot of pressure off of me. But now I need to know where to put the switches? In the 02 2500hd Crew theres a console over the top in the middle. How hard would it be to run the wires for the switches?
  12. Schwinn68

Schwinn68 Senior Member

shouldn't be too hard to run the wires there as gauge kits are available to go right in the cubby hole at the top of the windshield. Do you have buckets and a center counsel? I've seen them mounted in there before too. I have my switches mounted at the very bottom of the dash about shin level. I keeps them kind of hidden but still easily accessible.

As far as installation goes I know nothing about wiring. I am a pretty good welder and fabricator so within my set of friends we barter and help each other out with whatever we're good at.
  13. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

Thanks ya I thought about those spots as well.
  14. ajslands

why dont you just have it free uner your seat
  15. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

when i do installs i like to do installs on what i sell. i sell only Whelen brand there were a few guys around here wanted me to do there off brand E-bay stuff i told them no. whelen stuff i can diagnose if there is an issue and i dont have to worry about warranty repair

i will install radios of any brand or one you have radio are a Different Beast
  16. SafetyLighting

There are a few things wrong with this but I am really happy you used fuses and a grommet. Sooooooo, what size fuse is in your power supply?
  17. kitn1mcc

kitn1mcc Senior Member

also when i do installs i do them flat rate not by the hour. i work slow.
  18. SafetyLighting

Me too.

And now I have to add this useless text because my response was too short and the forum would not let me post just "me too". :rolleyes:
  19. bossman22

bossman22 Senior Member

Haha thanks alot guys for all the responses. I think im going to start doing them tomorrow and hopefully have pics up by tuesday. Thanks
  20. Dissociative

Dissociative 2000 Club Member

it's truly a market based pricing structure as i have been quoted 350-800 for a 4 head kit installed.

The villages pay out the nose, so most shops charge everyone the same way.