1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Paints the Back of their Plow Black?

Discussion in 'Fisher Engineering Discussion' started by plowguy43, Nov 25, 2009.

1. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

I've seen a few threads about rehabbing an older plow or repainting a plow, etc. and was just wondering who, if any, have painted the back of their plow blades black? I had a Fisher MM1 a few years back while in college and the previous owner painted the back of the blade flat black. At first I thought it looked like crap but then noticed at night there is little to no glare off of the plow from the truck's lights or strobes. My blade is in need of a resto after this season and am debating on doing this myself.

Opinions, thoughts?

2. RL1

RL1 Junior Member

I did, MM1 also , would take pics but im in the middle of bead blasting it right now. I think it looks better black.

3. RichG53

RichG53 PlowSite.com Addict

Get them there pictures...

4. plowguy43

plowguy43 PlowSite Fanatic

RL1- did you notice that there was less glare as well? What was your reasoning for doing it in the first place?

5. jb1390

jb1390 Senior Member

I did this on my western unimount. There is less glare when it is not covered in snow from stacking. Also, the snow tends to melt faster off the back because the black paint absorbs more heat from sunlight.

And it looks better IMO

6. GPS

GPS Senior Member
    from MA

When I was 5, my Dad bought a brand new 1978 Ford F-250 with an 8' Fisher plow. If I remember correctly, the back of the moldboard was painted flat black straight from Fisher. I guess it was much easier to do that when they painted them, versus the way they powdercoat them now.

If you run hideaway strobes, I'd say go for it. I ran a truck a couple of years ago for a friend that had them, and the flashback did get annoying after awhile.

7. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I paint the back black There is less glare

8. Deco

Deco Senior Member

mine are still too perty to ****** black , :laughing:

9. oman1999

oman1999 Senior Member

I've been going through our plows for the last month or so. The plows that need a coat of paint and not just a touch-up get painted with black rustoleum. Covers really well, one brush and one can.

I don't worry about having a bright colored plow on the truck. We use beacons, Bright plow markers and all of our lights work. Have noticed that it is easier to spot a cracked weld with black paint instead of red or yellow.

We don't worry about pretty plows though. If they aren't rusty or all faded, stick with making them function perfectly and let the guy with nothing better to do paint his plows. HAHA

10. Mass4x4fun

Mass4x4fun Junior Member

All 4 of my plows are flat black on the back for anti-glare and snow melt.

Ron

11. RL1

RL1 Junior Member

Sorry im responding so late - It was time for a refresh and the plow is 13 yrs old so painting it flat black made the imperfections less noticeable. That was the reason, though there is much less glare. I'm not a "strobe nut" however I have strobes in my headlights, corner lights, bumper lights and outer bumper light markers. Each set has it's own control, I usually use 4 , all 8 is a bit distracting :D . I went a bit overboard with them to shut a few of my friends up. They all have new or mid 2000's Duramax's with shiny new headlamp housings and Whelen strobes. I have a 96 f-350 power stroke and had a cheap set of street glow strobes .After a year plowing with them and their nugget busting the next season I ordered my new strobes to bust theirs back in return. Not like the strobes make up for the fact that my truck isn’t as nice as theirs however my over compensation in the strobe department was really to be joke kind of thing and in the end my strobes kick their asses….lol -

12. dellwas

dellwas Senior Member

Back of my old beater Meyers is painted black, front fire engine red, both Armour Coat rust paint. Did it to cover the rust :)

13. DieselSlug

DieselSlug PlowSite.com Addict

I painted mine last winter, i took the time to paint the back fisher yellow and spray painted the springs black...My amber light on top is to high to reflect off of it..