1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who owns a Western or Fisher Pro flow 1 ?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by G.M.Landscaping, Feb 3, 2006.

1. G.M.Landscaping

G.M.Landscaping Senior Member

I'm looking at buying a used pro 1. Likes , dislikes.

Anything in perticular I should look at for problems.
    And what's a fair price on a used unit in fair to good shape?

Thanks

2. CHPL

CHPL Member

I just bought a used opayup ne with controller and harness for $750. I have a fisher i bought new for well over twice that. The first one was such a good investment that I looked for a used one to save some money and get one quicker. Well worth the money in my opinion. Especially since where i'm at we have basically only salted this year and last year i could only plow.

3. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I have the western version.

* beats shoveling sand
    * easy to take on and off
    *spreads well
    *overall its works great for small parking lots and driveways
    Dislikes

*sand and salt MUST be very dry
    *loading bagged salt and sand gets old when its freezing out

You want to check the shaft bearings there should be one under the spinner and one on the top of the shaft inside the hopper. You should remove the top cover and make sure the belt and pulleys are in good order. The bearings are cheap to replace but if they are seized to the shaft its not very fun getting them off.

Pricing im not sure as mine was given to me.

4. G.M.Landscaping

The one I'm looking at is on a F350 p.u. from the bourgh. It's the fisher pro 1 model(maybe called speedcaster 1??). When I looked at it, it was filled to the top with bulk salt:eek: The pickup bed was loaded with bulk salt under a heavy tarp. He flipped the switch and it spread the salt really good. I was shocked that it would spread bulk salt with no vibrator kit. That's all they used in it. The truck was kept in a heated garage while not in use.

Well that impressed me. But since it was filled to the top I couldn't look at the internal parts. I did notice the bottom bearing was shot.

I'm waiting for them to give me a price on it. I'm hoping around $400-600.

5. G.M.Landscaping

Anyone else own one?

6. pinepointe

pinepointe Senior Member

We having been using the western pro flo for five years we have replaced the lower bering once that is it love this spreader we use it on sever large lots works great good luck

7. The Snow Pros

The Snow Pros Junior Member
    from midwest

The Western Pro Flow 1 works well with bagged salt. If you use bulk salt it must be dry or it will jam up. Also with bulk, some bigger pieces will get caught up in the dispenser area of the spinner(the round area with the holes that drops salt onto the spinner).Sucks having to pick it out/break it up with a screwdriver in the middle of a storm. If you use bulk salt make sure you leave the screens in the spreader to sift out the bigger pieces. Other than that, powerwash the unit, and grease the lower bearing after each time you use it. Brand new about 1300-1400, used around 700-1000 depending on condition.

P.S. The Western hitch/receiver is a great set-up. On/off in the matter of minutes.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
  8. nevrnf

nevrnf Senior Member

Ran one last season. Used both plain and treated bag salt. Never had a problem with it jamming. I would not hesitate to use bulk salt if you were to load and spread it in the same lot.
    I might be interested in selling it . I have both the in bed truss and a reciever hitch with mounting kits for both the chevy and dodge