1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who own straight or "V" plows?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by wxmn6, Nov 16, 2001.

Who own straight or "V" plows?

1. Straight plows

52 vote(s)
  2. "V" plows

23 vote(s)
  3. Both straight and "V" plows

24 vote(s)
  1. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Just thought that it would be interesting to see how many of us own only straight plows or only "V" plows or both.

1. Straight plows

2. "V" plows

3. Both straight and "V" plows
  2. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I own both, but when buying new I get v's.
  3. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

V for me:)

Hey, I made a ryhme:D

4. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

I buy both V-Plows and straight. V-plows are good on 3/4 of the plowing applications we handle. Straight blades are best for the other 1/4.

5. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

So far as of 11/21/01, 48 of us polled.

37 of us own straight plows. (77.09%)
    25 of us own "V" plows. (52.09%)

It shows that the majority of us own straight plows, but half of us own "V" plows which is pretty interesting because it only have be around for a few years.
  6. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

Yeah, like 15 years.

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

I think that how long V-plows have been around depends on where you are. In this area you would see a Boss plow (of any kind) a few years ago about as often as Haley's comet! Around here V-plows have only been around for about 5-6 years since Fisher/Western came out with one.

I remember going to a truck show in Boston a few years back and seeing a Boss (V-plow) for the first time up close and also seeing a Fisher V plow for the first time. When I asked the Boss rep if they were copying Fisher, his forehead nearly exploded :D. "NO WAY" he shot back at me "WE HAD THIS PLOW FOR YEARS!" but if you lived around here it was all Fisher all the time.
  8. wolfie

wolfie Senior Member

I can't remember how long ago it was but it has to be at least 15 years ago that I saw a Diamond-V for the first time at the Big-E... I have always been impressed with a V-Plow... it's a shame it took me until this year to get one but I'm sure looking forward to using my new Fisher V-plow!!!

Only V-Plows. Boss Boss Boss!

Triton Snow Removal
    Woodstock, Il 60098
  10. intimidator

intimidator Member

Both of my plows are western pro plows (straight) The only straight plows I've ever seen are Meyer and Westerns and the only v's are Boss and Western. I'd never even heard of Fischer or Diamond until I found this site, which has been unbelievably helpful by the way.

11. plowjockey

plowjockey PlowSite.com Sponsor

7.5ft Western Pro Plow straight, and 10' Western HW straight. When I buy a new plow, though, I will definately get a "V".

12. Fine Lines Lawn

Fine Lines Lawn Member

8'-2" Boss V and a 9'-2" Boss V for the dually.
    Hope I get to use them this year. Last year we worked snow for 2 weeks.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

hi gang i only will use vee blades .i have 3 mpv western blades. i have used the straight blades for years. but once you try a vee you will not go back to straight blades.take care.
  14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

I am more of the thinking that Geoff is. I plow a lot of private roads and Condos with long drives. Here a straight blade (9ft) is a better choice then a V. I have plowed them with my V and it just does not roll the snow at a higher speed then the stright blades. In a condition like that the straight blade can really push the snow back.

I think V's are the trendy thing. Although they definately have their place and I will continue to have one or two they are not necessary. People have plowed for years without them. Yes they make small lot work and some driveways faster. People are caught up in V-plow fever I think. wxmn6 is right. Even though they have been around for years Boss and Diamond were the original makers neither was super popular in the Northeast which is probably the biggest snowplowing market. Now that Fisher has come out with one, the best IMO, snowplowers here have becoime more aware of them. Even if they are not running Fishers there are a lot more V's into this area. I know I will always have at least one in my arsenal.
  15. plowking35

from SE CT

I think you are a little narrowmined in your opinion of the NE being the biggest plowing market. Thge mid west covers alot more sq footage, and they get alot more winter than we do.
    The reason we got along with v plows, was that they were not made. Now that they are being being made, why someone would want a straight plow is beyond me. I am more of the thinking that I will always have one stright plow in my arsenal, and the rest will be v plows.
    When I can save 30-50% plowing time, why switch back.
  16. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

With it 2 years all my parking lot trucks will have V-plows. The exception will be the trucks with the 10' straight blades.

Will I still have some straight blades yes. However the V-plows will be dominating before long.

17. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

If you count New York and PA in the Northeast which I do, not just New England. I realize the midwest is bigger but I think there is a bigger population and thus more contractors to service the population in the northeast. Maybe I am wrong. Just seems that a lot of marketing and such is concentrated on the northeast. Boss designed a whole plow (trip edge) just to be able to make sales and compete with Fisher.

Everyone has there own opinion of V's. I think they are great. However they do not seem to roll snow on the roads I plow as well as a straight blade. My two straight blades have foils which you cannot put on a V. I can run down a road and blow the snow far back. When I try the same road with a V in a straight position the snow would not roll as well and come over the blade. When I plow a driveway or small lot the V is awesome. Saves me tons of time by being able to move snow.
  18. plowking35

from SE CT

I think we need to define plowing snow vs moving snow.
    If you need to plow snow the straight plow works great, and the v plow works good.
    When you need to move snow, the v plow does great, but the stright plow does mediocre at best. What you have to do is define what type of snow related work the truck and plow will most often be doing. That will better define your need for a straight or v plow.
    As for marketing, I have not been out west or even to the mid west, but the greater Chicago area has a ton of snow removal contractors as does the mid atlantic region. If you go out west few have ever heard of fisher before Douglas Dynamics bought them, let alone saw one.
  19. DaveK

DaveK Senior Member

Being from Michigan, I've seen Boss V's for many years. Infact, I don't think I have seen any V except boss. And not to many yellow straights either. Boss and Western are the norm here. I've got a Western straight but a V may be in the picture if we have a good year.
  20. Kent Lawns

Kent Lawns PlowSite.com Veteran

And Western used to build a full-trip V-plow in the early 90's. 8' 8".

I think they only built them for a year or two.

We had 3 of them and they seemed to work decent. Lighter than a Boss and tripped a lot easier.