1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best shovels for the $

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by joelawn0531, Nov 7, 2008.

1. joelawn0531

joelawn0531 Junior Member
    from Ohio

Its time to stock up on shovels. Where are you buying yours? What do they cost
    how do they hold up?
  2. Brant'sLawnCare

Brant'sLawnCare PlowSite.com Addict

I like Arctic snow shovels. The green ones with the metal wear strip are the best. Even though they are plastic, they are fairly sturdy. They cost about $20, which aint to bad. I get them at my local ACE hardware store.
  3. M&A Property Maintenance

M&A Property Maintenance Senior Member

I hate the ones with the metal strips. JMO

I buy Melnor at my local Ace Hardware store. they go for about $15-$20 a piece. they are plastic, but very durable. last year i ran the shovel part over with my truck. didn't break, just bent outward a little bit, but popped right back into shape with my foot.
  4. IMAGE

IMAGE Sponsor

I like the ones without the metal strip also.
  5. cretebaby

cretebaby PlowSite Veteran

try Yo-Ho's :nod:
  6. Makndust

Makndust Senior Member

I like the one's with the metal strip, but the strip wears off on the ends right away. It seems like the plastic edges don't last as long.
  7. deere615

deere615 2000 Club Member

I prefer w/o the metal strip. I got some real cheap melnors for like $3 last year they had a metal edge and would scrap really well actually too well, I am just going to drill the rivits out on one this year. I have yet to find a nice shaped shovel sold w/o the metal edge, besides the old one I have
  8. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

9. Get Plowed AK

Get Plowed AK Member

Dont get the metal tip!! the plastic does wear but the wear is constanly making a smooth scraping cutting surface. Your not gonna wear a shovel out for a long time. Probbably get broken before its worn out. Only way to go. Melnor or Arctic. Most hardware stores. about 30" wide.
  10. Griffinlc

Griffinlc Junior Member

I like the plastic grain scoops myself. I get mine from a feed/hardware store right in town. I think they are less than 20 bucks. They last me forever, my personal one in my truck is at least 5 years old.
  11. PLCI

PLCI Member
    from Maine

12. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Ames True Temper SnoZones. I bought the last couple of boxes in the country. They cost me $10 or $12 per shovel, and would last three years, no problem. I have a 5-6 year supply, I hope. The guys hate the shovels with metal cutting edges. Big mistake if you have multiple crews. I can buy them for you a lot cheaper than $20 a piece as well. The Ames I have now are discontinued, and I dont know what I am going to buy within the next few years. Hopefully something great like these comes out.
  13. pelt35

pelt35 Senior Member

I really like the Structron Blizzard Buster shovels arond $25-30 bucks. 2 models:

SEY PP100 snow-pusher Black abs, 12 x 24 blade, 44" yellow fiberglass handle, strong poly D grip

SEY PS200 snow-scoop Blue, abs, 13 1/2 x 18 blade, 42" yellow fiberglass handle, strong poly D grip. bought mine @ Reinders in Madison WI,. Do a search on them, available most anywhere. Ace Hardware as well handles them. They hold up good!!
  14. JBMiller616

JBMiller616 Senior Member

That is a SERIOUS pusher right there.
  15. mx495

mx495 Member
    from MO

What size is eveyone using? I want a wide one, so it's fast, but want it small enough I can move it. The 30" seems like a good compromise.
  16. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I just bought. 3 30" ones to try out, they look really good.
  17. mlbock

mlbock Junior Member

we use a snoblade average snowfall in nw ohio, u can do a drive in 5 minutes!! it has wheels and the blade's on an angle. when you grt to the end of the run, flip it over and go the other way!!
  18. archer39

archer39 Member
    from PA

Do these push the snow off to the side or just straight ahead?

How much does one of theses cost?
  19. dr.lawn21

dr.lawn21 Senior Member

We got the 30". Hope we get some snow soon to try them out.:rolleyes: We used some $30 shovels from ACE last year, and every single one of them broke. Had to keep returning them all year. What a pain in the a$$.
  20. Kirby ent

Kirby ent Member

How heavy are those 30 inch one's Is the plastic 1/4 inch thick?

Thanks Mike