1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best plow?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Hoopsfan, Aug 26, 2002.

1. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

Looking for a plow to hang on a Ford F250. Who makes the best plow?

2. wxmn6

wxmn6 PlowSite.com Addict

Only the person that own and use all different brands of snowplows out there can answer this question. Otherwise there is no real answer to this question.

Fisher, Western, Boss, Meyer are the popular snowplows in the market. What you want is to go with what your local dealer sells. He may not be selling the best plow but he may have an excellent service that would get your plow fixed right away if it break down during a storm. A plow is no good if you don't have a good dealer to have it fixed right away.

Fisher is a popular snowplows in my area. They are a very good snowplows manufacturer but there are other manufacturers that makes good snowplows.
  3. karl klein

karl klein Senior Member

i would go with western but i have only owned western and boss. i have heard very bad things about the meyers and would not by one.
  4. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

wxmn6 is right, you've asked a loaded question! The answer will depend on the type of plowing you plan to do, many plows excel in some areas while being deficient in others.

Dealer support should play a part in your decision, you'll need a dealer who stocks what you'll need to get you back on the road when things break.

I was happy with the service my Diamond plows gave me, only one breakdown in 6 years on two trucks running simultaneously, and that was due to accident damage. They're very heavy for transporting though.

I prefer the bottom trip edge design found on the Boss, Diamond and Fisher plows for my operations. In heavy wet snow, the moldboard won't fold over as on many moldboard trip plows.

My personal preference is Boss.
  6. Mike 97 SS

Mike 97 SS Banned
    from U.S.A.

In my oppinion, Western Pro Plow or Fisher HD or V-plow. Mike
  7. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

Thanks for the replies. I'm on my way to the dealer today to find out what my choices are.

8. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

I don't know if I'm alone here..........................but I think the "CP" line of Meyer poly plows along with the E-60 pump is a fantastic set up. Nice moldboard height and of course since the poly blade never needs paint, you save yourself roughly 5 hours every 2-3 years in "blade refinishing" costs. Do not let the word "poly" fool you.........the poly plow is a superior plow both in strength and definitely long term integrity. We have 6 of these plows (8'-9') and not one problem in over 5 years! It truly is a well built plow package with little to no lift frame "play" un-like some Western uni-mounts I have worked with. On the other hand we have not had decent snow in at least 2 years...............just my opinion!

9. Hoopsfan

Hoopsfan Junior Member

My dealer uses Western. They had a V Blade on an F250 regular cab. Any thoughts on pros and cons on straight vs V?
  10. Taconic

Taconic PlowSite.com Veteran

which plow

Most of the big name plows will be shown at the barbecue in October BOSS,FISHER,WESTERN,DIAMOND,BLIZZARD ETC. Saturday
    October 12th:waving:

BOB JONES Junior Member

if you want a plow that does not break done you buy a fisher if you want to repair it al the time you buy a meyer
  12. ChicagoSnow

ChicagoSnow Senior Member

Right BOB JONES.........................................right.

13. Pelican

Pelican 2000 Club Member

The V plows can save you a lot of time, especially if you are plowing commercial lots, the V becomes a scoop to move more snow in a given pass. They can help on residential drives as well in speeding up parking area cleanup.

The downside is some models leave a slight trail of snow at the center hinge. These plows also don't back drag as well as a straight blade. Again, the type of plowing you plan to do will determine which is best for you.
  14. Alan

Alan PlowSite.com Addict

The best brand is the one with a reputable dealer close by. Good parts and service make any brand better than one which lacks those support elements. Our Sno-Ways may not be the best plow made, but when I can call the dealer in the middle of the night and he says, "Meet me at the shop" that's about as good as it gets.
  15. Chuck Smith

Chuck Smith 2000 Club Member
    from NJ

Our dealer actually drives around during storms, visiting certain contractors accounts in the area, making sure they don't need parts. He carries common items with him. Sometimes he even brings coffee. He also has a staff of 4 guys back at the shop. I guess after 33 years in the biz, he's "in the know".......

16. A.L. Inc.

A.L. Inc. Member

I think Alan's post says it all. The same thing goes for my landscaping equipment, I don't care what color the machine is, I have a great support system standing behind it. Mike
  17. plow-m-all

plow-m-all Junior Member

If I were to use or buy a plow it would depend on the contracts.If I had residential I would go with the snoway.The down pressure is unsurpassed.Butt if I were plowing commercialy I would go with the only plow!!!!That is a blizzard plow it is so productive it puts boss v to sleep.Thats my opinion .plow:drinkup: