1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who makes the best plow??????

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by AB Lawn Care, Jan 27, 2000.

1. AB Lawn Care

AB Lawn Care Member

We currently use our lawn equipment to do snow removal and we are soon looking to buy a plow truck.We have decided we want a rear plow on it but we have not decided what type of plow to put on the front.We are looking for just a normal straight plow.I'm shure that every one has a plow they like.Please tell me the brand you like and why.Also if possible please tell me about any brands you dislike and why.<p>Thanks!<br>from:Adam<br>AB Lawn Care

2. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Boss 10' V-Blade for a 3/4 ton or larger truck.<br>

3. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

OK this post is going to cause a big fight.<p>I like diamond, it has a trip edge, large curve in the blade, has a stong frame, is easy to put on the truck.<p>Dino is going to say meyer or western, with the full blade trip.<p>Someone else is going to say fisher because they like them.<p>So i don't know what to tell you, other than Diamond. I think you are going to have to make your own choice, like i told little Bryan.<p>Geoff

4. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

Actually I will say this, buy a v plow. I dont care what brand, just buy one. You will be amazed at how much time it will save you. Install a urethane blade. <br>Or at the very least, find a good dealer and buy from him. That in my opinion is more important then brand. Oh and move to the south for that is where all the snow is.<br>Dino<p>----------<br> Professional Ice and Snow Management <br>Products:Services:Equipment www.sima.org

5. sunrise

sunrise Junior Member

agree with Lazer I have 20 BOSS plows for my trucks and 3 for loaders there great

6. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

Sunrise,<br>Do you have the big, fixed Boss snowplows on those loaders?<p>

7. jmyles

jmyles Junior Member

Look at a hiniker V-Plow if you want a v blade. they are similar to boss, but have more bracing in the moldboard, also seem to backdrag better. They are also relativly easy to install yourself.<p>Happy pushing,.

8. sunrise

sunrise Junior Member

Lazer,<br> Sorry for being so long in response I been plowing snow or now sunday and monday ice about 1-2 inches.<br>no it is a skid steer power &quot;v&quot; and it works great the driver sometimes get snow fliped back on him<br>have you heard of a Snow-Way plow?<br>They have down pressure seen one monday but no one was around to ask about them. Do you know?<br>

9. nsmilligan

nsmilligan PlowSite.com Veteran

I'f you're into serious plowing. Long driveways, or commerical lots get a good V plow, I think Fisher has the best because of the trip, also because they Fisher are 100% behind their product, and so is my dealer. A V will open driveways and lots when those 100 year storms show up and the most important is to use the scoop position. I contraced a lot this year i was told couldn't be done my K2500, and yet i'm doing quicker then the previous contractor and his 4X4 cat backhoe, because of the v plow, and stacking it almost as high, and we've had some of the biggest snows in the last few years ( 16&quot; monday and 20&quot; friday and 60 mph winds a week ago!) I know geoffdiamond will disagree, but get a fisher V, ryhmes eh!<br>Bill

10. TLS

TLS PlowSite.com Addict

I use a 8'2&quot; Boss V-plow on my 90 K3500 (single rear wheel) Very happy, however this brand of V-plow does NOT trip! I used to have several builders development roads to plow and the raised manholes and storm drains bent the plow up pretty good (winter of 96). Since then, I dropped all future road contracts in favor of parking lots of which all obstructions are now known. I wouldn't go any wider than 8'2&quot; with a 3/4 or 1 ton SRW A 10' is disigned for the Ford 550 and 650 series only. <p>----------<br>Thomas J. McCauley Jr.<br>Tommy's Lawn Service

11. Lazer

Lazer Senior Member

You're right, the 10' is designed for the bigger Fords. I do know a guy who has a 10' on a F250 and loves it. He added a leaf to the front and it really works well.<p>They also make a 9'2&quot; for 1 ton trucks as well.

12. GeoffD

to nsmilligan<p>I have two fisher v-plows, and i also have a fisher 10' and one old style 8'. The v-plows are great, and i bought the 10' because i wanted a 10' blade with a trip edge. The only thing i hate about fisher is their mounting systems. I like diamond for a streight blade, but thats another story.<p>Geoff

13. jayman

jayman Junior Member

once again, AB, happy to share my opinion. We plow in London here, and we have 7 Arctic 8' blades. Pretty good, but repeated pump problems with 2 new units last season--absolute nightmare!! Warranty was good, if you could wait 3 days. So this year we bought 3 Diamonds; 20% more money, and about 50% more weight, with trip-edge vs. whole blade-trip. Much prefer the whole-blade trip and lighter, faster Arctic, but what about reliability? So far, so good with Daimond, so a little less user-friendliness is ok if plow works when you need it. A good local dealer is very important, and in London, that's the manufacturer--he is swamped when snow is heavy, so he was not much good to us. Answer, if you have a good Arctic dealer in town, get one; if not go to a dealer with a decent problem who will take care of you fast when in a pinch.

14. GeoffD

jayman where are you from?<p>Geoff