1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who Makes A Really Good Set of Chains...

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by ConnorExum, Jan 6, 2010.

1. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I"m curious as to who makes a really good set of V-Bar Chains for 9.00-20 Tires. I want to put them on my M35A2 2.5ton truck because right now with the standard NDT's on it the snow is not my friend.

Thanks...

Connor

2. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

How about Pewag from Austria, they are claimed to be excellent anyone with experience with these chains?

3. jmc

jmc Junior Member

canadianchainsusa.com, company located in maine

4. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Thanks for the help...

5. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

I think I'm a little late on the purchase of chains most places are out of stock... Anyone else have suggestions on a good tire chain maker?

6. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

laclede chain??? they are down the street from our shop....

7. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Good to know.

8. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

just bought a set of 9:00 20's singles 2 weeks ago from Laclede for about $300...

9. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Are those mud service chains? I need three sets of these for my 6x6... Two dual sets and one single set. I prefer V-bar chains because they just dig in better both on and off-road. What sort of set did you get?

10. SnowPro93

SnowPro93 Senior Member

tire chains

St, Pierre chain, 317 East Mountain St.Worcester,Mass.01606. 508-8399194. Ask for Micheal St.Pierre. They make anything you want.

11. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Thanks for the help.

12. keitha

keitha Senior Member

13. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Thanks for the information, but my problem is I don't see any list of manufactures. I want to know what sort of quality I'm getting.

14. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

I have no experience with your vehicle, tire size, or v-bar chains. As far as quality goes IMO you can't beat the Pewag square link. La Cleeds are good also but beware the Chinese chain (even LaCleede has a Chinese made line).

15. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Thanks for the information. I'll remember to stay away from the Chinese made chains. I'm probably going to go with the Pewag chains they seem to be the style I want. Do you think it is over kill to have cams and tension adjusters as well? I don't think so. I a fan of over protection.

16. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Search for the ones that you turn on when needed. They spin in time with the tires. Really really neat and better then having chains on all the time.

17. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Automatic chains are okay, but I really need the set on full time. I just moved back to New York State from a long period out of state. And I was in Louisville first and than CA so I didn't need any chains where i was most of the time in CA by the coast never really went over Sierra Nevada Mountain range so I was styling. Now that I'm in NYS to help out my pops my truck with its Stock Military looking NDT tires with no weight in the back of the Deuce and Half slips way too much in snow or going up hills. So a real set is necessary. Thanks for the tip.

18. DGODGR

DGODGR Senior Member
    from s/w co

The chains should come with cams already installed. Some say that tensioners are not required if you install chains correctly. I think that this may be true for very low speed applications (like tractors) but if you go fast enough that the cross links begin to pull away from the tire than you will experience accelerated wear (from the chain slapping the pavement). Adding tensioners will help to reduce this effect. They will not prevent it though.

19. ConnorExum

ConnorExum Senior Member

Some claim that the cams will lock tightly enough, so no tension adjusters are needed. I know how they supposedly work, but I've not used chains on anything but a lawn tractor in years. I just wanted to make sure I got the best possible set as I could. I would like them to last for awhile. Thanks for the input.

20. bhadden

bhadden Junior Member

I run run singles all the way around mine (The duals were such a pain I cut them down). My, experience is that you don't need the vbar, just heavy duty. And now I carry spares cuz I'm hard on them and one time one came off and I didn't find it til spring! I'll see if I can find my last order (thought it was tirechains.com or something like that).