1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who makes a good hydro sander?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mtnzone, May 19, 2008.

1. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

i have a electric sander from fisher but just purchased a truck with total hydraulic capabilities. So I need to become familiar with hydraulics, and one of the things this neophyte to hydro needs to know ..What the heck am I looking for and who makes a decent one?.

2. wild bill

wild bill PlowSite.com Addict

sander

henderson cheif ,swenson ,hiway :waving:

3. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

well arent you a load if info.. thanks!!!!

payup

4. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

holy cow those are beasts.... all i have is a a f 450 fer crying out loud.......

5. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

well arent you a load if info.. thanks!!!!

payup

6. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

keep in mind, when going to hydro from electric......when u step on the gas and the rpm goes up, so does the pressure....and ur auger and spinner speed up as well....on really picky accounts can be a problem.....i dont run sand so i could not tell you too many other differences, but i can tell you that if an electrical panel, or wireing goes in the middle of the night,....i can be bypassed and rigged to work, a blown hydo hose can not, unless u have spares or can make them yourself....might also go thru more material? but again i dont know the sanding part that well...i spread bulk rock

7. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

You are right about having the RPM,s up, but at idle you are lucky to cover 10'. Fisher makes one that is just over 3 yards. I have a 4.4 yard Swenson in the back of my 3500HD. It is a little big for the truck but we TRY not to fill it.

You will love the hydraulic over electric any day.

8. elite1msmith

elite1msmith 2000 Club Member
    from chicago

i have a question regaurding the hydro spreaders....for those that use them

which do u like better, the replacement tailgate, or the under tailgate? seems to me the under tailgate, makes better use of ur truck, but are there other advatages or spreading differeces between the two?

also, dirrect drive, or gear/chain drive....i thought the dirrect because it has less parts?

9. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

I had a direct drive undertailgate model. The problem with mine was the pivot point for the box was not at the very back. It was about 1' in. When you raised the box the spinner would hit the ground if the box was all the way up. If I was to buy another one I would get a tailgate replacement model for sure. Direct drive would be the way to go.

Also with an undertailgate model the salter is outside the box. If you allow too much salt to go into the salter and you have gravity down it will be very slow to lower or may not lower.

10. mtnzone

mtnzone Member

no worried about the rpm issue. AS i have a bypass ( dial that dictates the amount i want spread) and the former owner said that the dial regulates the amount of hydraulic pressure driving machinery.

BUT as i have said I'm a neophyte when it comes to hydro...

11. Kevin Kendrick

Kevin Kendrick Senior Member

Too many times have a seen guys overload their sanders and trucks. Figure 3,000lbs for every yard of material and then subtract that from your GVWR. The 450 GVW is 16,000 lbs so if you put a Fisher 3.3 cu yd and load it up, your going to have close to 10,000 lbs of material in the hopper. Then spreader weighs in @ 1,000lbs + the weight of the truck, the fuel, and of course, the driver. Dont go anything over a 3.3 cu yd spreader on a 450.

12. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

What are you spreading that weights 3,000 lbs./yard? I am guessing sand salt with almost no salt.