1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who makes a good deice/salt spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by mstennes, Dec 30, 2004.

1. I have a client who wants all there forklift and truck loading areas deiced now instead of haveing there guys do it since Ihave never even looked at a sander/spreader before I dont have the first idea of what I want or who to buy from. Can you guys shine some light on this for me?
    Thanks,
    Mike

2. echovalley

echovalley Senior Member
    from CT

What do u have for a truck?how big an area?For a small spreader look at northern tool .com they have buyers spreaders.Pretty nice little spreader easy to get parts etc.

3. its a 2000 ford F350 Super Duty diesel. It has a 8' bed but I would say only 6 or so is useable as I have a tool box and fuel tank in it. In the warmer season its a service truck. Hope this helps.

4. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

I see a lot of guys with the short beds running 6 foot sno-way spreaders they seem to work well.. they also have the Swing-Away Chute Design which is a big help for cleaning out any leftover salt/sand. The website says they come in Sizes: 5', 6', 8', and 9'.

5. IndySnowPlow

IndySnowPlow Senior Member
    from Indiana

I use the SnowEx 1075 tailgate spreader. Holds 600lbs of rock salt & has a variable speed controller w/BLAST mode & it also is a swing-a-way so I can open the tailgate. Yes, you have to load it with bagged material in most cases. I salt 2 truck terminals here in Indy and 1 hopper full usually does it for the lot and getting infront of 34 loading docks.

You can also look at the SnowEx V-box model that holds like 1.5 yards of material if you need more than 600lbs of salt at a time.

6. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

If you are doing a dock and not tons else, go for a tailgate unit. SnoWay, Western, Fisher (same as Western), BOSS and SnowEx are among the many in this class. We have three, and like the SnoWay units best. We keep them on an ATV jack so they can be wheeled around and easily installed in the trailer hitch.

Next challenge is to figure out what to throw with it.

There are a number of threads concerning the pros and cons of various chemicals, although my advice is to buy some Magic Salt and not look back.

7. Can you tell me why you like the Snoway best? What makes it better as in features or duribility? I have read alot about Snoex but I cant find a link or even a website for them even searching Google. So without that I cant find a dealer here in Washington but Snoway has one about 30 miles from me.
    Thanks,
    Mike

8. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Better design. Heavier hopper (thicker) No drilling into the truck. The motor is on the back of the unit, so it is less likely to get hit by what you back into.

Last year, they added some rods to break up clumps and a gate valve that allows you to regulate the flow.

If you have a dealer close, go see one.

windemere 1-sm.jpg

9. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

Another view

spreader sm.jpg

10. Hey that looks good!! I like your truck also, I have my Blizzard on my 350 Super Duty which is white, good choice, anyway which model do you have I like the looks and will get on the phone here when I know what I'm asking for.
    Thanks again & Happy New Year!!!! :drinkup:
    Mike

11. chris k

chris k Senior Member

If you are going to get a tailgate spreader make sure you get a 2 stage model so that you can run sand through it also if necessary. I have the Fisher Speedcaster2 and it works great, the Western Proflow2 is the same thing just in red.

12. pbeering

pbeering Senior Member

We have a big one and a little one. For your app, go for the 9cu ft model.

Unless you are throwing sand, the 2 stage units (which are some great machines) are probably overkill.

Another little tip, you can have the local sign shop cook up an adhesive sign 8.5" x 11' which conveniently fits on top of SnoWay's there on the back.

We also hung a tractor utility light on the left side so we can see the spread pattern at night. Very convenient to plug into the trailer hitch light plug.

http://www.snoway.com/receiverspreader_specs.cfm

13. I dont forsee any sand being used as that make the asphalt rough for the forklifts also. This is to purly melt off snow and ice.
    Thanks for all the help!!!!
    Mike

14. grubenator

grubenator Junior Member
    from wi,mn

salt spreader

hey there guys just to throw my 2cents in i just bought the meyer mate it attaches to your talegate it holds about 450 lbs of rock salt i use to bags, it has a varible speed and blast mode as well it can spread from 3ft to 30 ft it was $950. and it was easy to install.

15. AintNoFun

AintNoFun Senior Member

think about the future, if your going to be doing more deicing down the road, you'll probably want to move up to a vbox anyway. i'd go with the vbox over the tailgate....

16. I would considder a vbox but I only have about 5' of bed space left. The diesel tank and tool box get almost 3' I have thought about pulling the diesel tank but its a pain and I love the weight it adds.

17. jt5019

jt5019 Senior Member

Sno-Way makes V box spreaders in Sizes: 5', 6', 8', and 9'.

18. szippijr

szippijr Member
    from S.E Pa

truck craft tc 130