1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who makes a 4-5yard electric salt spreader thats over 8' long?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Ramairfreak98ss, Jan 23, 2012.

1. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

We have 4 yard SaltDogg sphe4000s.. One in our 12' landscape body sits so far back, b/c its only 96" or so, that literally the entire 4 yard box sits on top of the rear axle and rearward... theres about 4 feet from the front of the spreader to the bulkhead and when loaded to the gills with salt, it tilts the 12' body back, as if i unhooked the lift hydraulic piston, it would just tilt on its a$$... the 200" wb F550 front even looks lifted until i put the plow on. Its BAD weight distribution. I'd like to put this in another truck we get in the future and find something that sits MORE of the weight of salt in front of the axle too.

Has to be all electric, no gas drives. Ill attach a photo later:)

2. GreenLeafPA

GreenLeafPA Junior Member

3. mc1

mc1 Senior Member

4-5 yards of bulk salt is way too much . i have a 3 yard salter on a 550 5yards would not kill truck but it would make me real nervous

4. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

Just convert a gas or central unit over to electric.

5. mullis56

mullis56 Senior Member
    from Indiana

swenson spreaders

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

How is 4 yards too much for a 19,500 truck, truck is 8, salts 8 salters 1 leaves you with 2,500 left

7. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Smith Spreaders

8. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

New SHPE 6000.

9. Maclawnco

Maclawnco Senior Member
    from OH

downeaster makes their mid sized 3-4.5 yd spreaders in all electric but dont list them on the website. I run a 4.5 yard box full on my 15000 lb gvw 450!

OP, you can solve your problem by going to a heavy truck shop and have them add leaves to your truck. We have 4 extra on the 450.

10. Ramairfreak98ss

i saw that :p ... overloaded YES!

11. Ramairfreak98ss

its not a weight on the axle issue.. its squating the back but im not worried about the squat as much as the fact its lifting so much weight off the front axle.. just a bad weight loading of the carried load :/ heres a pic to get an idea

Its an ABC Landscaper 12' body... It only takes up the back 8ft worth which is basically on top and behind the whole rear axle... a 9ft mason dump would probably put it more in front of the axle. I can only physically slide the spreader into the body maybe 1 to 1.5" before its hitting the chute.

untitled.jpg

Last edited: Jan 24, 2012
  12. Ramairfreak98ss

depends on the body i guess... this F550 weights about 12,200 empty... 12' body, 200" wb, diesel, 4x4, body is about 2600lbs they say, has extra box on passenger side so thats about 100lbs with some stuff in it and its a crew cab.

So technically, 7300lbs and its at capacity lol.

I do agree though 4yards of salt is roughly 8000lbs give or take and spreader is 1000....

We've had this truck loaded with 5-6 tons of rock, aggregate etc. before and being way over its "limit", it didnt squat or drive ass heavy like it does with the spreader all the way back there behind the axle. I rolled off the scale before at 23,900, nearly 6ton of stone, but some of that weight was on the front axle, even distribution.

If this truck was a single cab/gas... OMG it would probably just lift the front axle off the ground ...ever see a repo tow truck, gas/single cab/141" wb lift up a 6000lb SUV... yeah the front like that is whats unsafe.

13. Red Bull Junkie

Red Bull Junkie Senior Member

LOL. when you have a weight problem....just add more weight. :)

14. alsam116

alsam116 Senior Member

yea couldnt you take a skid of bagged salt and put it in front of the spreader where the side door is open on the body? if you have to slide the spreader back a few inches to get the skid in do that.
    just a thought.

15. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Wizard has a 10 ft one and I do think it's the nicest electric I've ever seen. He says it works perfect.

16. CGM Inc.

CGM Inc. PlowSite Veteran
    from Ontario

Equifab 10'

RAM 5500 Equifab.jpg

17. RLM

RLM PlowSite.com Addict

Smith make them, there is a used one on the Rochester craigslist

18. Ramairfreak98ss

lol, actually from the front bulkhead of the 12' body to the front of the spreader is 5'... so the whole spreader sits on the rear 7ft of the body.

19. concreteguy

concreteguy Senior Member

The problem is that the fuel tank sits behind the axles so the back of the bed has to clear that and the spring perch, the bed is too long in this application. It's like you need a spreader where the drag chain is added to and the sub-frame of the salter is added to so you can slide the salter in further, so its in front of the axles more and still have the shoot hanging off the truck. Sounds like some work to modify, would have to be a metal v-box not plastic. Any body think a fab shop could lengthen the sub-frame and add some links to a drag chain, then re-attach the shoot

20. NEUSWEDE

NEUSWEDE Senior Member

Call Downeaster in Topsham Maine and they will custom make any spreader spec'd to what you want. They could easily make you a longer lower profile one. I looked at doing the same for my F650 the only down side is harder sell when if you upgrade to something else.