1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who looks at traffic patterns before bidding?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by grandview, Aug 17, 2012.

1. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I look at the traffic in the area of each place I might bid on. I need to know what time the lot needs to be open by,then I'll see what the morning commute of that road and during the evening.I've turned down very easy lots just because you can't get there and if you do ,you might not be able to get to the next place in time.

2. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

I avoid bars, 24 hour mini marts, ATMs, they have constant traffic and high liability. I have a buddy who focuses on them he says he can charge more per sq ft because of the hassle.

I also avoid anything outside of my main service area, travel time and traffic issues make them tough to service properly and unprofitable.

3. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I was talking more about road traffic then parking lot traffic. Getting stuck in traffic and trying to get to a lot you have to plow.

4. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I've turned down plenty of work for that very reason. My farthest accounts are 12-15 minutes apart by freeway & about 25-30 minutes if I take all back roads...which is what I usually take during white outs & rush hour traffic. I come unglued if I get stuck on the freeway & drivers today drive much different than they did 20 years ago...either that, or I'm getting too old for this chit.

5. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

All my work is in a one mile circle, I give away a lot of work outside my operating area, it's just not profitable to spend 3 hours to plow for 45 minutes.

6. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

We don't have traffic in Chicago.........we have massive gidlock 6 hours before the 1st flake falls.....not kidding either

7. coldcoffee

coldcoffee Senior Member

I drove through Chicago during evening rush hour once...I will never do that again. I also learned the hard way about the voluntary toll booths, I think I missed about 6 of them.

8. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

ouch.....thats like $20.80 each on the lowside I think

9. wewille

wewille Senior Member

Absolutely. I keep everything within a 5 mile radius in a village of 8,000 people. In our area i feel we can serve our clients better than anybody else because of this.

10. Flipper

Flipper PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

One mile from the shop. Only 3 major intersections, lots of side roads instead of state road and we never get on the highway.