1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who leaves's you with the most off season ground clearance?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Bad Luck, Oct 7, 2004.

1. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

I hated how my old Myer MDII hung off the truck. I would think either the Ultra Mount by Western or Blizzards??

2. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

I think curtis gives, by far, the most ground clearence, western ultra is close but they copied curtis in some ways (it ended up in court), i don't like the idea of the removeable reciever brackets on the ultramounts. Fisher MM and MMII are great. All meyers hang low, the MD II does not bother me as much as the EZ-MOUNT. Boss hangs low and Blizzard is flat out UNACCEPTABLE when it comes to ground clearence IMO. Snoways are ugly. Blizzard makes EXCELLENT plows but the reason i probley won't be getting a 720 LT for my brothers cherokee is because the mount is ugly and hangs low, it would be one thing if it were a work truck but its not, and when i can get something else that is not that noticible.

3. bobingardner

bobingardner Senior Member

I agree with cja1987's assesment. I can't find my tape measure but the MMII on my chevy looks pretty good. The Blizzards I've seen look like they hang a little low.

4. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If it's not a work truck why do you have a plow on it?

Okay. How about taking the push beam off in summer. 4 bolts pssst it's off.

5. wfd44

wfd44 Senior Member
    from Maine

I think it depends somewhat on the vehicle. I am very happy with the clearance with the Fisher Minute Mount on my Chevy.

6. Bolts Indus.

So where is it you are going in the off season with that nice truck that you need ground clearance?
    If you are talking beaters that you mud with I understand.

7. Mark Witcher

Mark Witcher Senior Member

It must depend alot on the truck. Boss on F250 has 10inches, Boss on older Chevy 10 inches, Blizzard on older chevy has same as Boss. If you are using a lowrider truck , like a newer Chevy, you wont have much clearance. I have only seen one Curtis plow on a Chevy and the owner hated it. Moldboard would only lift 12 inches off the ground.

8. cja1987

If it can possibly plow and i own it IT WILL PLOW no matter what! You don't need a work truck to plow, my F-150 serves as my daily driver just looking for some versatility in the vehicle, if there is a way to avoid shoveling iam there thats for sure. There are many out there like me who plow a few drives and don't need another truck just for work. If i wanted something to just drive around town with that was somewhat nice id buy a car. No point in having 4X4 if your not going to plow. IMO my truck gives me a little bit of everything. As far as the cherokee goes its far from a work truck, but it will plow, and i would rather get a plow with a more "low profile" type mount. Its too bad because i would love to mount a blizzard 720 on the thing (still may go with a blizzard) blizzard BY FAR offers the best plow for the lightest of trucks like cherokees.

Dropping the mount for the summer is not hard or a bad idea, i just don't understand why companies still make mounts that are so big when Fisher, western,curtis have gotten away from that, people don't want all that metal hanging below the bumper unless they have no other option. Oversized mounts seem to be common with plows that have powerhitch type systems like blizzard and boss. Anyways i ramble :rolleyes: its just a matter of personal preference and personally i like nice clean looking mounts like curtis and fisher.

Last edited: Oct 7, 2004
  9. Bolts Indus.

May I suggest that you are being exposed to dealers that do not know how to set a truck up for plowing.

If they did, then ground clearance for everything except off road mudding would be within range.

This leads me to believe it is not the product, but the the dealer.

Sorry, but I loose my patience with bad dealers.

10. cja1987

My responses were based strictly on looks, i understand that the mount won't bottem out going into the store parking lot.

I know what you mean though, iam really not trying to bash blizzard plows, i love the things, i just wish they had a nicer looking mount. However this is a minor issue for most plowers, especially commercial plowers.

11. Bolts Indus.

Curtis:
    Good points: Too bad, but function is almost sacrificed by good looks. Hard to have both. You must choose. Do you want the ease of Blizzard or the good looks of others. That is why nobody dominaes the market. Hopes this helps.
    Dave.

12. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

i have the blizzard dont like how low it is but come spring the whole thing will come off becuase i do get off road. i got becuase of the way its made.

13. Bolts Indus.

PSdf350

If I may suggest. My 3500 GMC is no lower now with the 810 than before I installed it. If I may be of help in this regard please contact me.

14. Duplantisjj

Duplantisjj Senior Member

Yeah, I was also concerned about looks since my truck will be a plow truck only for my lot. When I'm done, I want my truck to look about as normal as possible. At first I wanted the Western Ultra Mount...that seemed about the least obvious hitch w/o the plow (I have an 02 Chevy 1/2 ton). But I really wanted a poly plow and my dealer wasn't expecting those till January.

I'm putting the Boss Poly on now.....The Boss hitch is a little bigger and hangs down lower but I am getting the plow "I" want. :drinkup: And if the hitch bothers me in the summer then I'll just pop it off for a few months. Who knows I may get used to it :cool:

Johnny

15. Bolts Indus.

God bless ya Johny:

16. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

Bolts thanks for the offer much apperciated. the ground clearance is fine. its that it is low and sits so far in front of tires that is the problm. right now it is 12.5" of the ground. but off road it will catch on things like rock and stumps becuase it is the first there. if any of that made sense.

17. Bolts Indus.

It is allways a trade off.

18. PSDF350

PSDF350 Senior Member

yup but i wasn't going to trade off on the plow i wanted

19. Bad Luck

Bad Luck Senior Member

Looks like I struck a nerve with this one!! The only reason I asked is because of the fact that the front of my truck already squats down a bit. I will be turning up the torsion bars and to be honest, even possibly removing the whole frame in the off season. Depending on how it actually looks. I was just curious because most of my friends that have plows on their trucks have the older style mounts or an older truck that sits higher and they don't really care all that much.

Bolts - You might be able to help me. I'll be installing my 760LT myself so any tips would be greatly appreciated!

20. Bolts Indus.

The biggest thing with the Blizzard is the draw latch.
    When you take the pins out to install mark the draw latch plates because it is easy to re install them upside down. Then it will not work properly