1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who keeps thier skidsteers on site? how do you keep them from getting stolen?

Discussion in 'Heavy Equipment' started by trqjnky, Oct 25, 2011.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

im going to leave a skid on site at a wharehouse i plow. im just wondering how you guys keep them from getting stolen? luck?

2. ryde307

ryde307 PlowSite Veteran

We dont trailer at all. ONly leave on site. try to negotiate the best place to keep it. In a ramp, under a light, near a camera anything in a lot that is most visible to be watch or least visable to be hidden.
    Otherwise lock it have good insurance and hope for the best.

3. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

Store it in a container and install a hidden ignition cutoff switch, or pull a battery terminal wire.
    Install GPS tracking or at minimum, advertise the machine is GPS tracked.

4. zman9119

zman9119 Member

Encoded machine specific key, the "club" for the controls, plus use hardened chains that are almost impossible to cut.

5. G.Landscape

G.Landscape Senior Member
    from Ontario

We leave all our machines on site, and never had an issue. I agree that finding a well lit spot, and usually parked close to a road is a good idea (bonus having your name on equipment parked near the road...FREE advertising) We also loosen the fuse for ignition so all the driver has to do is remember to push it back in before he tries and start it.

6. charlefoxtrtot

charlefoxtrtot Member
    from MD

I prefer rigging them with an explosive charge

7. DaySpring Services

DaySpring Services PlowSite.com Addict

Disconnect (not completely, so it still looks hooked up) one of the wiring harnesses in the engine compartment.

8. MatthewG

MatthewG PlowSite.com Addict

I like the "GPS tracking" sticker idea

Anyone get quotes on insurance for these machines?

9. BowTieDmax

BowTieDmax Senior Member

I have the coded key from Cat, keep it in a well lit area, keep my insurance paid up and cross my fingers! LOL

10. 7_below

7_below Senior Member

Lmao!! Haha

11. djagusch

djagusch 2000 Club Member
    from mn

Why don't we post all our ways so thiefs can read them?

Without being specific. GPS, pulling fuses, wires, or a module. Chains, location, etc.

We do all we can to keep honest people honest, but a thief can still take it if he has it in him.

12. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

nothing can stop a roll back tow truck, I like wedging machines in places and all the above tricks

13. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

what type and year are the skids? newer machines have power disconnect and electronic key codes for theft protection also like previously mentioned in this thread a storage container will help protect your skid and plow. good luck, also a bit of patience and a good scope you could have some target practice

Last edited: Oct 27, 2011
  14. bluerage94

bluerage94 Senior Member

Leave a 6ft snake in the cab...

15. magnum1

magnum1 Senior Member
    from ID & ND

leave my mother in law in the cab

16. got-h2o

got-h2o 2000 Club Member

17. Grassman09

Grassman09 2000 Club Member

Take a screwdriver or piece of wire from pos terminal on battery to starter and that should get it going no?

18. SNOWLORD

SNOWLORD Senior Member
    from MN

I understand that one 100%!!

19. alldayrj

alldayrj PlowSite.com Addict

....or just put the terminal wire back on. The point is to stop guys who hop in quick and try to urn it on, it wont crank and they run away. not an auto mechanic..

20. Cam.at.Heritage

Cam.at.Heritage Junior Member

Yes that's the point exactly.... if they are set on taking it they will do it, its really to prevent the spur of the moment guys...or drunk students from going on joy rides.