1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who is ready / not ready

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Big Nate's Plowing, Sep 23, 2002.

Are you ready for the first push?

1. Yes, as ready as I'll ever be

10 vote(s)
  2. A few loose ends to tie up

12 vote(s)
  3. working on it

19 vote(s)
  4. just starting to get in gear

13 vote(s)
  5. we are not gonna get any snow so I havent bothered yet

4 vote(s)
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

sence the other thread was cut short by the spelling police I am starting a new one, you dont have to reply if you dont want, just vote, if you do reply keep it on topic please;)

The poll is self explanitory.

~NaTe :drinkup:
  2. Mac

Mac Member

I'm just started to get ready
    I'm currently makeing a new wiring harrness.
    My old one was in rough shape Melting and Burning Of Wirings Not good (By the way always check your grounds)
    After that done I'm Building my salter controllers.
    Then I will be ready, for the next brake down
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2002
  3. GoSlo

GoSlo Junior Member

I have a hose that I want to replace. Was going to get at it all summer never did going to pick it up today.
  4. jimsmowin

jimsmowin Senior Member

i'm working on it. started earler than normal this year. not a lot to do very little use last year. not sure why i started.
  5. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Truck is in the shop right now getting the rear axle seal replaced, as well as the exhaust system. Then I just have to get over to my Western dealer for a "look over" and fluid swap.
  6. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Well, we have plenty to do yet, but if it snowed tonight, I could have all my trucks on the road.

We still need to do the P/M on all of the equipment and tie up a few loose ends, but we'll be ready.
  7. BRIMOW525

BRIMOW525 Senior Member

We're pretty much ready. Just need to change the fluids on both plows and pumps. Spreader motor needs rebuilding but other than that, just gotta check wires and connections. Didn't get any use last season so nothing broke or torn up.
  8. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

One of the addendums to Murphy's law says: Nature sides with the hidden defect.

In other words--No matter how ready you, are until the first time it snows you won't know what you needed to repair/replace, but didn't.

Every year we prove that to be true too...
  9. snowplowjay

snowplowjay Banned

just gotta hitch it up and bring it outta the storage garage and check the fluids and check all the nuts and bolts. Get the oil changed in the truck and get the new tires put on the rims. The snow blowers all set and i am sooo ready for a forecast of snow. I pray to mother nature to let the white stuff fall because
    as the saying goes

there is no business like snow business like snow business i know.

10. MGardner

MGardner Senior Member

New set of tires , ready to hit it AFTER we get a good supply of firewood stocked up. Nothing like a hot woodstove to come home to after an all night-all morning run against a storm.
  11. digger242j

digger242j Senior Member

I put the cover on the swimming pool today. Does that count? :)
  12. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Contracts are coming in as expected, and paperwork is all under control. Now time for the fun stuff. Change 2 sets of brakes on GMC 2500's, 2 sets of brakes on Jeep's, 2 sets of brakes on Jimmy's & bring 75XT into case for check up. After that check all plows for proper operation, and I am ready.

13. ultimate lawns

ultimate lawns Member

The 2 plows i got are on the side of the house right now and the salter in the garage right now. i prob wont be getting ready until the middle of october or end of october.

ultimate lawns and more,
  14. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

Seems to be alot of Chicago members here, good to know people know where to go for good information.
  15. Big Nate's Plowing

Big Nate's Plowing PlowSite.com Addict

a good old BUMP back to the top so that more people can vote on the poll.

~nate~ :drinkup:
  16. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

We have an unbeleiveable amount of work to be done and here I am on the internet...:rolleyes:

I thought at one point that we were prety much on track, but with all of the bidding and customer service type work just to get accounts and keeping track of everything, well, that's a job in and of itself. My partner and I spend at least 45 minutes on the phone almost every night...

Then we get to working on the trucks and it seems that the more you do, the more there is to do...:mad:

Anyway, isn't that the way it goes no matter what? We'll be ready one way or the other so bring on the snow!:drinkup:
  17. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

Took the 3500 into the shop last week to have all the fluids changed, brake job and all-over checkup. Found a couple of seals that were leaking and got it ready to go. The 1500 is still in the shop where my son works: replace the exhaust and tuneup. Should be ready any time. They just work on it when they get time. Checked over all the plows/sander last week. Hadn't gotten any calls from new customers for bids. Still had most from last year, but lost a couple plus wanted to add 2 or 3 more. Then last night came home to a letter from the Post Office asking for a bid and telephone message from a new resident requesting a bid on a 1/2 mile long private drive.

So if snow falls, I am ready... Let the games begin.

Now I just need some MagicSalt. My wife and I are headed to Poughkeepsie later today.
  18. Sno

Sno Senior Member

Just put new tires on... sent out letters to the old customers. Now, just one day to get the machinery tested and checked out and the rest is hurry up and wait!

19. HD61CUIN

HD61CUIN Senior Member

All repairs and adjustments complete! Plow painted for the season, just have to get it in for fluid service. Just in time for a freeze warning for the area. It should drop between high 20's and low 30's tonight. Now I just have to wait for Yellow freight to call for snow removal...wait it has to snow first. So SNOW!
  20. THREE W

THREE W Senior Member

Got one more thing left to do.........................................