1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who is largest snow contractor in the kansas area

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by jvm81, Mar 2, 2013.

1. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

Reasoing for my asking is a local crew here loaded up there equipment and went down to kansas this last go around. They claimed they answered an add on craigslist and went down and helped this guy out. They were story telling that this outfit does 20 million a year in snow, they are the largest in that area, they cover millions of acres of lots, etc. I know they went but there story is well , kinda hard to beleive it all...... So just curious who is all down in that area. They didn't want to name there contractor b/c they have a deal worked out with them for future snows. I am not driving 8,10 hours with equipment to do snow. They were padi $75/ hour / machine from what they said.

2. beanz27

beanz27 Senior Member

75 an hour is not worth taking all the equipment down there, unless they pay that for my drive time to get there also.

3. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

I'm in KC working for the time being. There is company across from our old wherehouse. The mane is snowmen or snowman. They have a HUGE salt bin. It has to be 300ft by 150 and 50 tall.

Judging by the lack of stacking in most parking lots, KC is plowed with pickups. Don't see any loaders anywhere or skids in parking lots. Most places I've been at lately look like crap. Most parking lots are still covered in ice with the melt from the night before.

4. bhmjwp

bhmjwp Senior Member
    from kcmo

KC got 2 10" storms in a week. Not the norm. Its really funny, many big companies have drivers just walk away after 4-5 hrs. Some have drivers that had never plowed plowing. What a joke! Many book accounts based on 4" snows, way over booked on big storms. Nationals have companies with subs of the subs working. What a joke.

I know for me it pushed the limit both storms, 40 hrs straight each time. We completed all accounts with no complaints.

I think some retail & apartment complexes learned some lessons this past 10 days. Some apartment complexes could not get out for 2 days. What a joke.

But its all fun in the snow business.

5. tmlawncare

tmlawncare Member

Loaders and skids are common all over the place during a snow event. Pickups are still the most common and often used in conjuction with the skids. Many places such as the plaza and downtown have the snow hauled away because of the lack of space. Yes kc snowmen are huge, although not sure of the gross sales however.

6. 1olddogtwo

Hey guys, I'm sorry. I just reread that in it came out kinda of wrong. I'm down here near Grandview and only been down 435 and 71 to Overland Park and to Belton. Some of the lots look good, others like HD off 435 and 71 look bad. I've seen a loader or two and a few skids. I'm from Chicago and there is EQM everywhere. We have over 250 sitting thru out the season.

Once agian, I wasn't trying to knock anyone.

7. cod8825

cod8825 Member

To answer the question snowmen is huge but not the largest in the city. I believe that Konrady,s is the largest or second largest. The comment about how the accounts looked is also a little baised as stated that we have mostly trucks with a few skids because in most instances that will work. We just made history last week with the two back to back storms. The company I work for does great work and we hauled a ton of snow away at our cost because we are more concerned with our reputation.

8. jvm81

jvm81 Senior Member
    from Midwest

So you have some big contractors out there then. These guys loaded two flat bed semi's trailer, to 40ft gooseneck trailers and drove 4 plow trucks down there. Must of a good deal. But these guys here make it sound like they won the lottery of course so sometimes talk is cheap. So they had 6 trucks total, a few skids all with pushers, and 3 smaller payloaders, two trucks have spreaders on. They claimed they drove straight, worked straight for 2 days, got paid, drove straight home. Who knows for sure but interesting to say the least.

9. jbell36

jbell36 Senior Member
    from Kansas

Yes, kansas isn't used to a 10" snow needless to say two 10" snows back to back...I can tell you it was probably the hardest thing I have had to deal with as far as business goes...had a few breakdowns, snow didn't stop until 10 am then all the property managers were calling in wanting to know why they weren't done yet...I personally don't think we did a bad job but we definitely had some complaints, unfortunately...I worked two 40 hour days plus many more hours...we picked up 4 large accounts, mostly very tight apartment complexes, drives are literally 3 feet apart...where do u put the snow? This is our first season with them and prob the last...I'm not even sure I would renew with them next year as it is, they were the biggest headache...I was with the understanding it was just drives and lot...they want us to come back through as much as possible and get stalls that cars were parked in......ok, that's my rant, this storm just left a very bitter taste in my mouth...on a side note it's going to be our biggest payday to date...which is also going to piss off a bunch of property managers...can't win

As far as the biggest contractor I don't know...epic and brickman are very large I just don't know about their snow sales...and 20 million a year doesn't seem very realistic, KS only gets do much snow a season

10. GreenKingL&L

GreenKingL&L Member

I'm outside Wichita, and have been plowing for the last 10 years here. I can't see any company in Kansas coming close to 20m, but honestly that's just such a large number I'm guessing its exaggerated. We got record snowfall this last week, 2 crazy storms, but last year we got to plow HALF our route, 1 time. The entire season, not a single ice event and only a HALF route plowing. You should have seen Craigslist light up with all the brand new plows for sale.

11. ALC-GregH

ALC-GregH PlowSite.com Addict
    from pa

I made $200hr average yesterday all within 10 miles. I only worked 10hrs or so. There's no way I'd drive a long distance (4+hrs) to make less then I can local.

12. 1olddogtwo

The flip side is sitting at home doing nothing and not making any money.

My job consist of traveling for large loss events, if there's one thing ive learned in 20 years of doing my type of work is.....go where the money is.

I do agree 75 is on the low side. Hell I left here Monday at 4pm, arrived in Chicago at midnight, the event was late starting(thank goodness) start plowing at 9am until 4pm the next day. I drove back to KC at 11 pm last night. I'm working the local shift until 5pm. I made a boat load of money is Chicago.