1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who is dealing with idiots trying to pull insurance fraud?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Eggie329, Feb 23, 2011.

1. Eggie329

Eggie329 Senior Member

I have decided to install some cheap $100 dash cams on the trucks since we have a lot of idiots looking for money around here trying to get a quick payoff from insurance. This past storm I had 3 different cases of people trying to get hit or run over. 1) Had an idiot neighbor to a rental house of mine come out and stand in the street behind me at the edge of his property acting like he was sorting his mail despite the fact that the mailbox was on the opposite end of the property near the house. 2) Had a car pull into the street that I was backing into to plow a restaurant and they stopped right where I was backing to clear the entrance. I thought they were stuck so I went to work on the other side of the lot. They then pulled into the lot and waited for me to back up. Once I started backing they gunned the car to get behind me to get hit. They did this about 3 times before I had enough with the games and got out of the truck and told them I knew exactly what they were trying to pull. They told me they were lost so they pulled in. I altered the truth and told them I had them on the dash cam and suddenly they were very quick to leave, but then went down the road a few building and tried to pull the same crap with the truck plowing the car wash. 3) Happend at a different restaurant there was a guy standing behind a car just watching me so I was ready for him to do something dumb and on one of my passed he jumps out infront of the plow and puts on a show screaming "he hit me with the plow." It would have worked a little better if he had realized I was ready for him and had the truck stopped about 10ft before him and everyone in the restaurant had seen there was no accident.

Sorry for the long post, just making sure I'm not the only one dealing with these knuckleheads.
  2. Winter Land Man

Winter Land Man Senior Member

Never had any of that happen, but one time, two kids jumped on the back of one of my trucks. I was sitting in the passenger seat as I was teaching the route to the new guy, and it was a pickup truck, so when I looked back, I saw the kids, and I got out and told them the dangers of the situation of doing that. I could of been mouthy to them, but I think one of the kids was autistic. Luckily it wasn't a dump truck. Man, it could have been much worse if it was and I didn't see them. Even with a pickup, you can't keep your head turned around the whole time, obviously. Imagine a kid climbing on the back of a truck and he or she slips and falls off, and then you go into reverse? Or you back into something? Even getting pinned between a tailgate and a snowbank would harm someone.
  3. northernsweeper

northernsweeper Senior Member

I think its worse everywhere this year. High unemployment and an entitlement society. Everybody wants a free buck. I still see the 78 lincoln my guy backed into last year. It still has a dent in one of the rusted fenders. Cost me 1,500 though.:gunsfiring:
  4. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

Need to put a sign on the back of your truck."We don't have insurance'!
  5. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

Wow. This thread is giving me the sweats. I had no idea someone would have the stones to try that BS. What if they lost a leg? Or worse?

Hope the measley payday was worth it, pal. You fed your family for what, 3 months? Now your paralyzed. That wheelchair is gonna suck.
  6. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

7. paponte

paponte Senior Member

These stories are absolutely horrendous! I can't believe what someone would go through to screw the system. It simply amazes me. Screw the working man, and just continue to collect a check. If half these morons would get off their arses and go find a job, this country would be a better place. I'm also tired of the whole no job BS. They should really be saying, I can't find a job... that interests me.
  8. JohnnyRoyale

JohnnyRoyale 2000 Club Member

...beacuse I plow for coffee!
  9. FisherVMan

FisherVMan Senior Member

I knew some guys from Mayo Mich that were up in Alaska and one nite we were drinking and one of them told me that they set a guy up that was believed to have a ton of money . He thought if they waited until he pulled out from a stop sign and they went thru the light and he smashed into them it would look like he ran the light ?????? OMG can you imagine ???? Anyway they attemped it numerous times but there was always witnesses around so finally one day they pulled it off! He started to go thru and they sailed right out in front of him and he hit them in the passengers door where the guy that was telling the story was sitting he took a hit and says to this day he has big time back problems! Come to find out the guy had EVERYTHING he owned in his daughters name! And he had NO insurance!!!! They never got a thing outta it except they stove their car up and both were injured ....................... this stuff does happen and even as he told me the story he laughed about it saying it was just his luck that the guy really had nothing and NO INSURANCE to boot! Can you imagine going thru life with back problems after pulling a stunt like this ????? This country is in a sad state of affairs as everyone knows but this stuff is inexcusable. The police had no problem sorting it out; that the accident had NOT happened the way they claimed!! I reckoned they got just what they deserved!

The only way it could be better; is when they are found guilty of this sorta prank , if we could still put them in a wooden headlock; in the town square, where they live, and let everyone in town throw rotten vegetable, and fruit, at them for a couple of weeks........................ of course they will never allow that again as it might effect them mentally !!!! God I hope so......................
    Last edited: Feb 23, 2011
  10. fireball

fireball PlowSite.com Veteran

yes, you are dealing with knuckleheads and seem to handling them just fine. Please feel free to keep them there
  11. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

better check some cameras dont like to be in moving things. vary jerky pictures. there is a specific brand that is marketed for just the high impact stuff we would like to use them for.

i for get who at this point. but lots of racers/offroaders/sports people use them. just seen a ad on tv for them to.
  12. TheRealBuzz

TheRealBuzz Member
    from ON, CAN

I believe GoPro is the camera you are thinking of.

I'm thinking of putting one in my new skidsteer.
  13. dodge2500

dodge2500 Senior Member

You aren't alone.. We had a lady at an apartment complex we service come out and wait on the sidewalk until the skid loader was going by and then start slowly walking off the sidewalk. Luckily my skid operator saw her and yanked both sticks back and missed her. He did get out of the skid and give her a piece of her mind. I mean think what would have happened to her if he didn't see her? My guy is fast and is always in high speed going as fast as he can. I don't think she would have been around to get much out of it if he would have hit her. People are just desperate these days and looking out for handouts. I blame the legislature for not putting caps on this stuff and allowing ambulance chasers to go after hard working people like all of us for simple accidents that are not our fault. What is this world coming to...
  14. snowman5313

snowman5313 Member

I still remember what my 4th grade teacher told us is class. "If i ever hit someone I'll go back and run over him again." You know at the time it was crazy talk but now I think that was smart. By the way no kid ever got near his car.
  15. Red_Rattler

Red_Rattler Senior Member

Bud of mine contracts with the city for plowing and he had a lady call in a week after the fact saying he hit her and buried her in a snowbank with his loader last snow fall. He said he also has people backing infront of him and people standing in the streets when any of his crew is around. some dont like the 3' piles in the end of their drives others might have lawsuit intentions? He even had a window smashed outa one of the loaders with a shovel as they drove past a house...
  16. SSS Inc.

SSS Inc. PlowSite Fanatic

This is crazy that you posted this because I am going through what I think is exactly what your talking about. We had a big storm in Minneapolis this past Sunday and I was plowing one of our lots adjacent to one of the main streets in the area. I was backing out into the street and was constantly looking like I always do, turned my head, put it in drive and bam. Not a big bam but I got hit none the less. It wasn't even big enough to startle me much or get the blood pressure up. I turn around and this midsize car ran into my rear wheel. I get out and look at the truck, no damage whatsoever. I look at the car, bumper is fine, lights are fine, hood crumpled like an acordian. It seemed weird because I drive a chevy 1 ton dually with an 8' flatbed. Its a short truck so if your thinking my flatbed damaged the hood I would say impossible. He had to of bumped my wheel because that's how it all lined up when I got out to look. So I can't figure out how his hood got crumpled but nothing else. If he hit to the right of the wheel he would have hit the cab, to the left he would have hit my lights below the flatbed. It was a kid that hit me and he hands me his phone to talk to his dad. The dad flips out like he's going to kill the kid. I calm him down and give him all the insurance info. He tells me the car is junk and they wanted to sell anyway. Two days later he calls my agent a freaks out to the point where she hangs up on him. She calls him back after he calms down and now he says the car was just fixed up and is worth a lot of money but he doesn't have coverage for his car. :dizzy: By the next day my insurance company calls me directly to get my story. I proceed to warn her that this guy is nuts. She calls him only to be barraged with f-bombs so she hangs up on him. He freaked when she told him that his son would have to fill out an accident report basically so he couldn't coach him. She called me back to warn me that he threatened to call me a rip me a new one. Keep in mind neither myself, my company, nor any of my insurance people have made anything difficult for this guy. Now today an appraiser came by to look at my vehicle and will be looking at their vehicle as well to see how the damage meshes. I don't have any so this could get interesting.
    A couple facts that have turned up that make me think I am involved in a scam include the damage to the vehicle that I simply cannot piece together given my truck and lack of damage, he kept telling me his kid was 16 when he's really 18, he told me his car was junk anyway and now he tells my agent he just fixed his car up, oh yeah and it turns out he doesn't actually have any kind of insurance. I can't wait to see what my insurance thinks of his mysterious hood damage and lack there of on my truck.

Not trying to write a novel here but all day I have been thinking about how we might be getting scammed and then I come across this post. There are many details that have been unintentionally left out but plowsite would need more bandwidth to post everything.
  17. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

18. ProSeasons

ProSeasons Senior Member

That's what the sign should say..."If I hit you, I'm going to make sure your'e dead."Thumbs Up
  19. sweetk30

sweetk30 PlowSite.com Addict

to sss inc have them do a recreation of the acident to show them no possible way it was from you.

i had a state trooper call me with the tow truck years ago to were i was parked. person said i tore the side of there car off when i was parked next to it.

i showed up and parked same exact place and no way was it me. cleared me and the company i was drivin for.

and also show the insurance adjuster this thread to show everyone is havin this problem this year .
  20. nepagearjammer

nepagearjammer Member
    from nepa

If he dosent have insurance he can go pound sand because he shouldnt been there in the first place. Did you get a police report? no insurance=no operate vehicle=no liability on your part