1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who installs there own?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by sno-mover, Oct 27, 2003.

1. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Just curious as to who installs there own plows, or has installed there own plow before. How did it go, any problems, did the plow come with "everything" you need? I will be buying a new fisher EZ-V in the next week or so and am going to do the install my self with the help of my father in his shop. :) Just looking for some feedback from the experienced, and a cupple pointers:D :waving:
  2. Snoworks

Snoworks Senior Member

Dont let Garagekeeper see this! - LOL

I have installed a few plows on my trucks. If you have the tools necessary, it is a fairly easy install. The wiring can get a little crazy, but other than that, just follow the directions. Make sure you measure the distance from the truck frame to the ground when the truck is off of the jack stands - LOL - if you know what I am talking about!

I have had plow assemblies come with missing parts - just check that all listed parts are their prior to the install.

Chuck B.
  3. griffithtlc

griffithtlc Senior Member

We are rookies this year, and opted to install our Blizzard 810 ourselves. There wasn't anything too tough about it, just follow the directions. The nice thing about installing it yourself is that you can get to know your plow hands on, so when/if you have to repair it, you know how stuff goes together.
  4. Ray

Ray PlowSite.com Veteran

I installed my fisher on my truck and it was fairly easy. I only had to drill two holes in the frame. All the other mounting areas use existing holes in the frame. Probably the hardest part was running the wiring, only because it was time consuming.
  5. wavemaster

wavemaster Junior Member

just installed Meyer 7.5 on F150

Did it all myself including the electrical. Here are a couple of observations:
    you need fairly big tools, biggest bolt on this system was 3/4";
    the larger ones all have a spec for the tightning torque, if your torque wrench goes up to 100 lbft then it will be too small;
    on my job there were a couple of unforeseens that were resolved after contacting the Meyer distributor;
    I did the mount first including the controls and then the electrical for the lights, my suggestion would be to do all electrical in parallel so you can your wires in the same route and then tie them down.

It took me about one day to do the mechanical part, longer with unforeseens.
    Electrical was another day.
    Probably faster if you have no interruptions.
  6. Crash935

Crash935 2000 Club Member

since your getting a Fischer, make sure that you get the E-force wiring system. Its much nicer than the relays, all plug in and no relays to go out in the middle of the night. I am guessing its going on a ford? You will need a floor jack to "stretch the springs" so that you can slip the back half of the mount into place. Watch out for the radiator and cooler lines on the fords, the bolts from the mount to the z-brackets must go out. And measure the distance between the mount horns before you put the bumper back on, its easier to adjust them before you go and put everything back together. Just read the entire instructions before you start. Good luck :drinkup:

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I have installed many Fisher and Meyer plows. My first plow was on a 81 Dodge pickup. I bought a 79 Ramcharger and swapped everything over. It took me and my buddy less than a day. The plow I currently own is on the third truck already. I have often sold plows and installed them. The more you do the easier they get. Good luck!

CARDOCTOR PlowSite.com Addict

ive installed 3 meyers on our trucks
    no big deal as long as you have the equipment

9. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

Thanks for all of the replys! From what you guys are saying it should not be to bad. We have pleanty of tools, and equipment, and I'll be sure and take picts!:waving:
  10. John DiMartino

John DiMartino PlowSite.com Veteran

I install my own and for friends,I like doing it myself.I usually make a mess with never seize,but if it needs to come apart at least it will 3 yurs later.

ADLAWNCUTTERS Senior Member

On the ford when you take off the front bumper use 3 guys one on each side and one taking off the bolts most IMPORTANT when you start to take the bumper it will kick up so have the guys keep thier hands protecting the fenders to keep it level when comming off. put a milk crate in front so when it comes off you can lay the bumper on the crate so you can unplug the center lights i've installed 7 mpv plows on fords.Hope this tip helps.
  12. Ohiosnow

Ohiosnow Senior Member
    from Ohio

Then all you need now is time & patience ;)
  13. Brian Simmons

Brian Simmons PlowSite.com - Sponsor

Good call ADLAWNCUTTERTS - this happens more than you would think. If you ever get a chance take a look at this area on most Superdutys plow trucks and you can see the telltale signs of removing the bumper by themselves.

14. CT18fireman

CT18fireman Banned

The key always is to have plenty of time and space. Some of the components get pretty big and bulky when trying to assemble in a small garage. Good light and a helper is also a good idea.

Air tools are not essential but helpful. A good drill with sharp bits and an assortment of handtools will allow for most installs.

I personally feel that installing plows myself gives a better result then what i have seen from dealers. See the Western site on a bad install IMO on JustUsDe's truck. Some installers may and have argued this point with me but I feel then I know where every connection and bolt on the plow is.

from SE PA

E-mail me if you need a hand or help, I live in delco. Plows are not that bad.
  16. micah79

micah79 Senior Member

I second what john says. Remember to use antiseize. It can be very hard to take the plow off in a few years, so help yourself out now by using the stuff liberally.
    Also grease on the electrical is a good idea.
    I have installed a few plows and I kind of like it. It is nice to have the proper tools though.
  17. Heron Cove PM

Heron Cove PM Senior Member

I DID.:dizzy: $200.00 to $300.00 saved was just that to me. Now that my knees are what they are... (played catcher for years) I am having them installed. The hardest thing I ever had to do on a install was drill frame rails. But as every one has said, it's not that bad with the direction and right tools.
  18. sno-mover

sno-mover Senior Member

I think I'm going this friday to pickup the plow. I called the dealer today to make sure it will fit in my truck, he said it's like 3 big boxes, but it should fit.:)
  19. GeoffD

GeoffD PlowSite.com Veteran

Did it once, and never again.

20. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

WHo drilled those holes Ray? Ray and I installed his plow on i
    his new truck, but he did the install on his 99. We are currently looking for a plow for an 03 F 350, most likely we will install that one ourselves. If we buy used we install, new plows are installed by the dealer. They usually throw that in for less than 200.00
    If its possible have the dealer assemble the plow, you ust mount the subframe and install the wiring. The plow assembly is the most time consuming part of the project.