1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who here plows with a manual tranny???

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by trqjnky, Dec 7, 2009.

1. trqjnky

trqjnky Senior Member

anyone else using a manual transmission??? when i bought my truck (2000 chevy 3/4 ton with a 5.7 and 5 spd.) it had the meyers plow already on it, and i thought that plowing with a manual would really really suck. but honestly, its great! no worrying about hitting park or neutral, it actually works really well.

2. Xforce 1

Xforce 1 Senior Member

As long as you have a good clutch, if ya don't, the blade will find it real quick. Push very long and ur left leg will hate you!xysport

3. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

I do. Plow with a 98 F-250 light duty 5spd wesportwesport

4. MnDLawn

MnDLawn Senior Member

I plow driveways with a Dodge Cummins 5-speed, a little tiring but not that bad.

5. theplowmeister

theplowmeister 2000 Club Member
    from MA

I plow with a 5 spd I tried an auto and hated it.

6. Mr Bigblock

Mr Bigblock Senior Member

What they need to invent is a push button forward and reverse on the steering wheel, would that speed things up and be less a pain in the ass.

7. thesnowman269

thesnowman269 Senior Member

Mr bigblock do you take that 5th wheel with you when you go plowing?? lol Quite the place to take a nap

8. Alaska Boss

Alaska Boss PlowSite.com Addict
    from Alaska

I do as well,.. and I won't buy a plow truck with an auto tranny, unless you give it to me... lol.... No more worries about overheating,... no more $2k-$3k repair/rebuild bills,... and all things being equal, a manual transmission will give you the edge in power & fuel economy,.. plus I can plow faster with a manual. IMO, a heavy-duty clutch/manual transmission is as bullet-proof of a combo that you can get in a plowtruck,... and if you take good care of it, and don't have any bad driving habits, will virtually last the life of the truck. :drinkup:

9. the new boss 92

the new boss 92 2000 Club Member

i plow with a stick and wouldnt not buy and auto, if you have to replace a trans every 2 years thats going to cost 2g's a trans pluse changing fluids after and before winter get pricey. why not just resurface a flywheel or buy and new one and put a clutch in for 500 a year if you plow hard?

10. AiRhed

AiRhed Senior Member

I've got the manual in my 99 Dodge with a Boss 9'2" V. I haven't plowed with the setup yet so no direct input.

One thing I've noticed for controller location though. I can say I like having the controller mounted to my Center council or to my leg instead of directly to the stick. I naturally rest my arm on the council during regular driving so having the controller there just feels best, I never have to guess where the controller is. It's all ergonomics.

Not sure how strong that clutch is, but when it does go you might consider upgrading to something similar to a South Bend. So far South Bend doesn't make a set for the Chevy Gasser but I'm sure Centerforce does.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2009
  11. MahonLawnCare

MahonLawnCare Senior Member
    from Ohio

i started out plowing with a stick and i def. prefer the automatic better! my leg thanks me! i actually dropped the slave cylinder in it last winter after our snowiest month...but overall not bad as long as your not hounding on comm'l lots all night

12. BushHogBoy

BushHogBoy Senior Member

I've plowed with both, mostly automatic gassers, but my favorite plowtruck was my 96 Dodge/Cummins with 5 speed. I had a South Bend CON FE clutch rated for 550hp / 1,100 lb/ft. torque the biggest single disc they make. Don't ride the clutch and you should be good. I'm with the others, I like a manual to plow with, there's as many drawbacks as there is advantages (that goes for autos too) but its personal preference. Theres some situations that i hate a stick and some i hate an auto.

13. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

Up untill 2 years ago i did and im glad to have an auto ever since.. Its fine for the first 7-8 hours after that i hate it.

14. martyman

martyman Senior Member

My first plow vehicle was a 4cyl Jeep Wrangler...very tired arms and burned out the clutch. If I was a young guy and had 20 properties the 4cyl would be fine (and it was fun) but I do 40 so a six with Auto is less demanding and more reliable.

15. Kenyou

Kenyou Senior Member

Edsel already had that, but they went out of business. Chrysler had the push button one the left side of the dashboard and was nice.

16. WetChicken

WetChicken Senior Member

With all electronic transmissions now, it would be trivial for them to do it. That could be the next truck feature to corner the market...

I plow with an auto, and I prefer it since I have nerve damage from a bad left fib break in 2004.

Jason

17. show-n-go

show-n-go Senior Member

You can still buy a push button, They make them for show/race cars. Pretty slick. Do a google search i think they are around $1000

18. Premier

Premier Senior Member

we have both in our fleet, i run the 05 ram w/ 6sp. not too bad, some places i go to help the other trucks out are PITA with it but it can push a crap ton of snow and i dont worry about over heating if i have to pull the loader around also.

19. mrmagnum

mrmagnum Senior Member

Both my trucks have manual transmissions.

20. Acmemechanic

Acmemechanic Senior Member

I have Plowed With Automatics And Standards. The Auto Is Pure Luxury And Being As Luxury is IT Has A Cost Attached. A Clutch's Wear Is Closely Related To My Skill as A Driver And Seems To Last Years. But It's Not Very nice when Your TIRED.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!