1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who here is using a power programmer?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by pwrjnky, Oct 25, 2009.

1. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I just bought my truck and plow. My truck has a lift kit and bigger tires and I was going to buy a hypertech programmer to calibrate the speedo (2003 chevy 1500 w/ 5.3L). Will it be ok to plow with too? They say it has firmer shifts with more torque for towing and more power but I don't know how good the firmer shifts will be for plowing. Regardless....I'd like one for speedo calibration. Thoughts?? Thanks in advance

2. 04WhiteSport

04WhiteSport Senior Member

I plow with a SMARTY on my Dodge, I have it on level 5 of 9 when plowing and it only adds 170 HP to my 6 Banger. Not sure on gas trucks. I have always heard the gas is only good for blowing out your a$$! :)

LET IT SNOW!

3. 02DURAMAX

02DURAMAX PlowSite.com Addict

I have Banks Six gun Never had a problem!

4. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

thanks for the replies, but I need to hear from the guys with gas trucks.

5. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

I run with a hypertech for my 03' 6.0 and i don't believe it will hurt anything...you won't notice any "seat of the pants" changes. You don't get the performance gains out of a gas motor as you will with a diesel. You'll be able to re-caliberate the speedo, change your shift points, check/reset codes, and allow the tranny to shift a little harder. I think i'm set up on the 87 octane tune, but have done the 93 octane tune and never noticed a difference. If your looking to really get a bang out of it, than you need to have a custome tune done. Do a search in these forums and you'll find plenty of info on Blackbear, Wait4me, and many other custome tuners....Good Luck, Jake

6. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I'm not too worried about the seat of the pants power. I'm more interested in the tire and speedo calibration. I went to the dealer to see if they could do the tire calibration and the biggest tire a gm programmer will do is a 285. Mine are a little bigger. If I get a little power and firmer shifts....great.

7. millsaps118

millsaps118 Senior Member

I run one in my '02 6.0. Yes, it will allow you to calibrate for larger tires. It will ask you to do it in inches ie. 30, 30.5, 30.75, 31, etc... so pull out your tape measure and measure them. I run 285's, roughly 30".

8. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

how tall is ur lift?

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I use a Hyper Tuner for my 06 F250. It has a 5.4L gasser, what were you asking?

10. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

I don't have a lift and run the 285's, also...if that was what you were asking about....

11. cfdeng7

cfdeng7 Senior Member
    from CT

no i was asking the original poster lol

12. ibew697

ibew697 Junior Member

sorry...missed that in the first post.

13. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

It's a 4" Rancho and my tires are 305's which I think is 31.5 or 32" tall. I'm pretty sure my speedo is off. I bought the truck from my local dealer with the plow on it. It wasn't for sale...It was their personal use truck and they had the lift installed.. I just popped in and asked if they wanted to sell it.
    I ended up ordering a programmer today. Here's a pic.

[​IMG]

14. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

You want a custom mail order tune such as a Nelsons, Westers, Black Bear etc. Much better gains than the hypertech programmers for the gassers. I noticed a significant gain in power as well as about 2 mpg with my Nelsons also corrected the speedo for the larger tires.

15. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I thought about getting a custom tune. I had one on a dodge that Used to own. Only thing is.....with the Hypertech, I can set it in a tow haul mode for plowing in the winter then switch it to performance to play in the summer for wheelin' and stuff. I can only get a single tune if I go custom and can't go back to stock if needed.

16. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I was just curious if people used them while plowing. I had a custom tune done on a truck I used to race, but wondered how the plowing guys liked them.

17. ABES

ABES PlowSite.com Addict
    from MN

IIRC Justin at Black bear can set up 2 different tunes on one truck by using the tow haul button for 2 different driving styles. With my tune Ive never really felt the need to go back to a stock tune more power and more mpg cant see why I would ever want to go back to stock.

18. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

WOW...a switchable custom tune? I never heard of that. That would be slick. I did some searching over on the chevy truck world forums and didn't see anything like that.

19. sparky8370

sparky8370 Senior Member

That's not true. With EFI Live (someone mentioned wait4me, aka Ira) you could:
    1) purchase EFI and usually the seller will give you two custom tunes. It comes with two licenses so you could tune someone elses for payup each additional license is $99 and you can continue to tune/finetune all you want. With EFI Live there are so many possibilities. Logging, tuning etc.
    2) send your ECM to someone like Ira and have them tune it, or tune it back
    3) purchase an extra ecm, one for stock
    4) have them send you an autocal, you use it to load the tune and send it back.

I have EFI Live and I love it.

20. pwrjnky

pwrjnky Senior Member

I've never heard of it.xysport