1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who here buys there laborers food.......

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by chris08087, Jan 16, 2004.

1. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

Last storm I had about 20 men shoveling and 10 operators clearing a few big developments and several commercial sites. I got them all coffee and donuts around 10:30am and a double cheeseburger and sprite around 1 pm.

I was wondering if anyone else does this, and if you guys think its a good or bad idea.

One of my foremen said I was going to spoil them and not to do it, But I felt obligated to feed them because they shoveled all day without any real break.
  2. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

You were wrong to buy them that stuff. Should have been a salad and milk. Ya gotta keep em healthy so they can make you more money. Since when is it bad to be nice. Very simple way to determine if you should do it. Are they making a good profit for you? If the answer is yes, Then continue being a nice human being. You will have a nice nights sleep.
    Last edited: Jan 16, 2004
  3. The Boss

The Boss 2000 Club Member

I only need one sidewalk guy, but yes, I buy all his meals.
  4. mjmstaff

mjmstaff Member

To be honest I buy my helper everything and not just because he is my 13 year old son. It's becasue he is a good worker. If I had more I would buy them breakfast, lunch and if we was out late dinner. Treat them right and they will treat you right. :)
  5. Bolts Indus.

Bolts Indus. PlowSite.com Addict

If he eats like mine did at that age, I would rather just pay him a good wage.
  6. Gadget

Gadget Junior Member

Absolutely, I feed mine and keep them happy - I'll even stop by with a pair of warm dry gloves or a hat if it's really bad out. It's not a bad idea to be a good boss - you get more out of the workforce, and you do sleep better !!
  7. badranman

badranman Senior Member

One more vote for being nice, yes I buy my guys food too! They're out there working in the cold making you money so why not show a little gratitude?
  8. JMR

JMR Senior Member

I feed my entire crew, plow truck drivers and snowblowing / shoveling crew. Keep them all happy. Breakfast for 6 at the diner $55.00 with tip. Money well spent to keep my crew happy and making me money.
  9. gordyo

gordyo Senior Member

During the Blizzard we had Dec. 5th I purchased over $200 worth of food for my crew. Well worth the money to keep them happy.
  10. Q-Team Inc

Q-Team Inc Member

I barter with a local microbrew pub for meals and after hours drinks. Its nice to have the guys sit down and get out of the truck for a few and have a warm meal. I think its worth it...:drinkup:
  11. NNJSnow

NNJSnow Senior Member

I know that the laborers get usually pizza and soda. Boss always buys for them to keep them going long and hard throughout the storms. Drivers jus buy themselves, usually meet up and eat together.
  12. gt_racer50

gt_racer50 Senior Member
    from Ohio

I only have 1 guy that does my sidewalks, sidewalk salting and lot salting. He uses his truck, owns 1/2 of the tailgate spreader(the other half is mine), uses his gas, my snowblower, and I buy the salt. He is my 24 year old college student son. I pay him as I would pay a subcontractor under those circumstances. And yes I buy his food and drink. Just because he is my son, doesn't mean that I don't have to show my appreciation for his effort. He is also the best worker that I have ever had. I use alot of his college buddies in the summer.
  13. crashz

crashz Senior Member

My father always buys his crew food. Maybe it stemmed from me, as I worked 8 years for him. I think he felt guilty buying me food, so he got food for everybody. And yes, it makes a huge difference in morale. We'ed work harder and longer. It shows that you care, which is a big thing. The $60 in lunch pays itself back tenfold.
  14. chris08087

chris08087 Junior Member
    from NJ

This storm was the first time I really bought the workers meals, and I think I'm going to make it a regular thing. I usually get them coffee and drinks, but I never had the time to go and get food. I do feel that it does keep the guys going stronger for longer. thanks for everyones input.
  15. CNYScapes

CNYScapes Senior Member

I cant remember the last time one of my laborers showed up with money in his pocket to buy anything.
  16. MickiRig1

MickiRig1 PlowSite Veteran

It's nice to sit down and eat and talk with employees, co-workers and sub-contractors. People get to know each other and connect a face to a truck or the mummy shoveling and snow blowing. We talk shop and have a good time after the works done. You might gain summer employees or find people to do painting or whatever that needs done. I think it's money well spent to get to know employees, co-workers and sub-contractors. Plus I bet it can be a "business expense" on tax's, ( company meeting ) Hey double bonus!

SIPLOWGUY Senior Member

I am a sub-contracter for a company at the airport plowing with my truck. They feed me, bring me coffee, soda, water, etc.. ALL the time I am there. I even get gas once in a while. I worked 23&1/2 hours this last storm and my incentive to stay was that I was very happy and comfortable. It certanly pays off to keep a guy happy! :)
  18. kl0an

kl0an Senior Member

My boss left half a bag of sunflower seeds in my loader and said help yourself.. Does that count??

Most of the time I'll carry a backpack with several bottles of water, tea, and tang in it and then some energy bars and granola bars. When I start my route, I've going for 16 hours at least, sleep for 7 or 8 and back at it the next day cleaning up with the trucks.

If I'm in between clients, I might stop at McD's for a bag of heartburn but, my boss or the foreman has never offered to buy anything..

19. SCSIndust

SCSIndust Senior Member

I plow for an Applebee's, and the manager will let me bring in all of my guys, usually around 6 or 7, and eat for free. We barter services. One of my guys ordered the 16oz T-bone steak last time we were there. All free to me. I just have to tip the server. One of the best deals I've had yet.
  20. elite1

elite1 Senior Member

6 guys on a crew =$60 per meal 1 meal every 6-8 hrs

6 guys on a crew=$180 per hr(not including trucks) x 6 hrs = $1080

yes, what ever they want, and keep them on the clock.