1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who hates rear visibility with v box spreader?

Discussion in 'Ice Management' started by Kwise, Nov 12, 2011.

1. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Wondering who here has a 1.5 or 2 yard v box spreader on a pickup and plows busy accounts (24hr gas stations, heavy traffic areas)? Thinking of switching from a tailgate spreader to a v box but am really concerned with not being able to look over my shoulder. I deal with a lot of foot and vehicle traffic while plowing. I feel comfortable using my mirrors, I just don't trust people.

2. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

You are going to have the same problems with a 2 yard v box in your bed. no visibility at all.

3. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

It's very tough to see. Thats why we only do main drives and very minimal backing up. I would suggest a back up alarm if you dont already have one. I had a guy at Lowe's last year walk right behind our loader, I don't know how you could miss it.

4. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Backup camera. Thumbs Up You can see better with a backup camera than you could before you installed the v box.

5. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

A Vbox hurts productivity. I plowed with one for 1 season and that was enough for me. A dump insert with spreader is more expensive but at least you can see better plus you can use it in the summer.

6. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Growing up plowing with a V boxx since early on... I don't even think twice about it, in the summer I very rarely use the rearview because you just learn to do with out it or looking out the back window... A good set of mirrors and back up lights are essential tho! Buy better aftermarket ones if u don't like the ones that come with your truck...

7. Longae29

Longae29 PlowSite.com Addict

I started plowing with a vbox so it doesn't bother me, you just have to be aware of your surroundings, and the big mirrors or 3500s and up help too.

8. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

There is always going to be the guy that goes behind you thinking he can beat you or doesn't know better. I would be more worried about the people walking. I had a V box in my truck for 2 nights, that was enough for me. I wouldn't want to plow gas stations with a V box.

9. White Gardens

White Gardens 2000 Club Member

You guys are all wusses! LOL! :laughing:

Even though I don't have a V-box, it's worthless to look through the grate on my dump-bed to look backwards, that and I've put in taller sides on my dump box.

A good back-up alarm, lights and mirrors and I don't have any issues. The biggest thing is to SLOW DOWN, take your time and you don't have any problems.

I grew up on a farm, so for me it's second nature to use my mirrors and like a previous post, I rarely look back in the summer when backing trailers or otherwise as I'm so used to using my mirrors.

10. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

What kind of camera do you use?

11. Burkartsplow

Burkartsplow PlowSite Veteran

I learned in a 1 ton dump plowing and once you learned to use my mirrors I was good to go. Like everyone said slow down and you will be fine. I personally like the dump insert due to the fact you can see everything and like JD said I can use it year around,but you are going to pay a premium for one. The backup camera is a good option, but how are we supposed to keep the snow from building up on it?

12. Louiso

Louiso Senior Member

I feel ya. We had a lady fall no where near one of our trucks (might i add at a mall at 3am... so only a u.p.s. driver...<the lady...) She took us to court and everything. the video camera we were hoping to show that she was no where near the truck.... covered in snow so you could only see the head lights of the truck.... long story short.... we lost in court because of no proof....hmmm how do they know we hit her? they didnt! she fell but she still won... thats just wrong..... we lost like $10,000 for it..... it ws some bull:realmad:

I plowed with a dump and i did fine just using my mirrors at a different mall and it was my first time in a dump truck and im 16. just throwing that out there!

GOOD LUCK!

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

I've had my CDL for 20 years and I've grown up on the farm backing things up with mirrors and I know you can plow snow with a V Box in your bed with no problems but productivity and safety suffers no matter how fast you think you are you'll be more productive without the salter in the bed. In really bad weather it's hard enough seeing without one in your bed.

14. Westhardt Corp.

Westhardt Corp. Senior Member

Given that my business is trucking in the Chicagoland area, my POV is kind of slanted.

Looking over your shoulder on a paved surface is for driver's ed students and soccer moms. I personally think everyone should be required to drive a cargo van for two years, so they learn what those funny shiny things on the side are for (hint: not one-time-use "how close am I to that parked car?" indicators) If people learned to trust their mirrors, they would be light years ahead of where they are now.

BUT, that's just me.

:laughing:

15. goel

goel PlowSite.com Addict

It's a love hate thing.

Slows you down, definately.

Speeds you up, definately because the salter is already on site. So it sometimes saves another truck and driver and the drive time.

16. Advantage

Advantage Senior Member

That is my thinking exactly.

17. Kwise

Kwise Senior Member

Thanks everyone for the advice. I now use a tailgate spreader and am considering switching to a v box because my volume of salt spread is getting closer to justifying the cost of one. I can comfortably use my mirrors, it's just that the foot traffic around the store can be heavy and it makes me feel so much better to give a glance over the shoulder. I know I would get used to it. I am liking the thought of using a dump insert with a under tailgate spreader. Who can tell me more about these? Looking for approximate cost and pros and cons.

18. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Not sure the brand, bought it off ebay a few years back. In slower speed plowing, the snow doesn't build up on it at all, but driving between accounts it does and you have to jump out and wipe it off quick. Same thing with the salty road spray, gotta wipe it off when you get to the next account so you can see. The camera I have has the infrared LED's in for night vision, which works surprisingly well, but of course is no substitute for some good auxiliary backup lights.

19. cet

cet PlowSite Fanatic

Depending on how much salt you are going to spread you can get a low V box spreader. It doesn't hold as much but way better then a tailgate. You will have to level out the salt though as that usually blocks your view too.

20. Triple L

Triple L PlowSite Fanatic
    from Canada

Good idea, ya theres a girl here that has one of those, has to be a 1 yard, sits completely flush with the box of the truck... Super cool option is you dont need the extra yard capacity or if you have a half ton...