1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has what engine gas vs diesel

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by snowish10, Nov 17, 2014.

?

gas vs diesel engine in a ford

1. gas

39 vote(s)
    40.6%
  2. diesel

57 vote(s)
    59.4%
  1. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Looking to see who has what engine in the ford trucks gas or diesel

2. MK97

MK97 PlowSite.com Addict

Had a 7.3 Powerstroke, now have a 6.0 Powerstroke.

My other truck is a 351W gasser though.

3. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

Ever took a look at the wiring on a cab and chassis diesel before a body is installed? The wiring harness and connections for the fuel and def tanks are completely exposed to the elements...looks like a wiring nightmare 6 or 7 years out from new...I suppose the gassers are no different..
    As for diesels, can't justify the up front cost of $8500, the cost of def, the extra insurance cost, the extra registration cost, the extra fuel cost, and the extra oil change costs...simply a bad business decision for my plowing needs.

4. Citytow

Citytow Senior Member
    from phila

i remember not too long ago '96 , diesel was a 5k option . everythings out of hand .

5. jimbo64

jimbo64 Senior Member

I have an '01 F250 V10. Priced a new F250 recently and to go diesel it's $9,950. more here in Canada.

6. PremierSnowPlow

PremierSnowPlow Senior Member

02 7.3 2nd one I've owned.

7. tjctransport

tjctransport PlowSite.com Addict

289 X2
    302 X3
    300 six cylinder
    5.4 X2
    351M X3
    400 X4
    7.3 IDI
    7.3 power stroke.
    this is the current lineup.

8. Banksy

Banksy PlowSite Veteran

Is this to help you decide on an engine? If so, these are rarely genuinely helpful. Like rear ends, everybody has an opinion.

9. Brian Young

Brian Young PlowSite Veteran

I have both and the only reason I bought my 05 diesel was towing purposes and I havent even used it much for that. Its got tons of power over my gasser but thousands of dollars worth...NO! My 5.4L moves just as much snow. I won't ever buy another diesel, I just don't have a real purpose for one, luckily I got a really good deal on a very low mileage,clean truck and it already had a flatbed on it.

10. Cond Enterprise

Cond Enterprise Member

I have had both, 1999 V-10 F250, was a beast, traded for 2004 6.0 F250, major turbo problems, traded for 2007 5.4 F250, was a dog almost went back to diesel. Then I traded that on my current 2012 6.2 F250. Love this truck!:salute:

11. Chipper

Chipper Member

5-9 thousand for an option. Heck I just paid $5500 for the whole truck. Plow was extra. With only 52000 miles, yes that's correct 52000 miles. Old local AG truck never driven in the winter until now.
    If you take some time and look around deals are out there. Could never buy a new truck for plowing.

001.JPG

12. hellion

hellion Member

After 4 consecutive diesel 1 ton trucks went back to gas. For all the same reasons.

13. dieselboy01

dieselboy01 Senior Member

I own a '99 7.3 that I don't plow with or drive at all in winter. Last year I ran a '00 and a '02 with the 5.4 for plowing. This year I sold the '00 and picked up a '05 6.0 for my main plower. Both the 6.0 and 5.4 are getting used this year.

14. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Where is the Both vote I have gas and diesel

15. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Hey on my Chassis I raise my bed and wash everything you cant see on your truck Can you even see all that salt/grit on top of your tank or top your frame
    Don't think since you have a bed on that's going protect the rear from the elements :laughing:

16. Snow Commandor

Snow Commandor Senior Member
    from 07666

My opinion on rearends is, I like em dark & curvy! lol

17. snowish10

snowish10 PlowSite.com Addict

Yes, Im looking to change over to a gas, but I love my 7.3. I've heard on of the 5.4 tritions have issues with spark plugs, can anyone give my info on that into which years? looking to get either a 06-07 gas ford or 08-11 ford. Anyone who has a ford gas in those years can you comments how you like it and any problems or issues to look out for?

18. Buswell Forest

Buswell Forest PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I urge you to go see what sort of bargain you can make on a leftover F250 or 350..if you have any credit at all, you should be able to get $8700 or so right off the top of the msrp (need it upfitted with a plow to get $2500 of that) and zero% interest.
    If you were going to put a big chunk out there to buy outright, so much the better..put it down, saving aside insurance and registration and any tax...

19. allagashpm

allagashpm Senior Member

I have an 11 f350 w the 6.2 went from a 7.3 as well. I love it and am very happy with it. Never drove a 5.4 so I cant comment

20. RSE

RSE Member

My new 2014 f350 has the 6.2 gas engine. My 2004 f250 had the 5.4 gas engine. Both have incredible power, more than enough to pull and push. I don't have a heated garage with power to house a diesel in the cold winter months. The new f350 was like $6k more with the diesel. Although I don't get the mileage ( 12-13 mpg ) I am happy with my purchase.