1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has the new RapidHeat??

Discussion in 'Ford Trucks' started by stroker79, Nov 18, 2008.

1. stroker79

stroker79 2000 Club Member

On the new 08+ superduties with the powerstroke they have the option for an electric heater called rapidheat which warms the cab until the engine is warm and then takes over the electric heater.

So does anyone have it? I was just curious at how well it works!

2. Gicon

Gicon Senior Member
    from MA

Its an electric heater. Works great.

3. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

if i lived a little more north i wouldve gotten it but i couldnt justify another $800 or watever being that jersey can getup to 70 in january

4. Ramairfreak98ss

Ramairfreak98ss PlowSite.com Addict

when i first heard of this i thought it kept "warm" coolant in like a thermos under the hood/dash from the last time the truck was running and then had a seperate heater that blew through that as soon as you started it when it was cold say the next morning, so all it is is a 12v heater? that must suck some electric! $800 and requires dual alternators? haha

5. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

wish my 05 had that option at the factory, it takes FORRRRRRREVVVEERRRR for the 6.0's to warm up.

6. stroker79

Yeah my 03 is the same way. In fact thats what prompted me to ask since I was sitting there freezing my ass off for 30 mins before I got some heat.

Thats such a cool option, wish they would have done it long ago!

7. wnyps

wnyps Member

I have it on my 08 with single alternator works awsome, cuts the in cab heating time dramaticaly well worth the money.

8. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

can it be retrofitted to the older trucks? or is it built into the dash somehow?

9. stroker79

Its built into the dash and wired to turn on/off with the heat. I dont think there is a seperate control for it. It just runs as regular heat until the trucks comes up to temp then the truck heat takes over.

10. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

My 02 GMC 6.0 heats up less then a mile. Dex - cool good stuff

11. stroker79

Yeah but you have a gas truck. the option is only on diesels

12. RepoMan207

RepoMan207 PlowSite Fanatic
    from Maine

ahhhh......

13. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Can you show us pics of it, since you have one.

14. sno commander

sno commander PlowSite.com Addict
    from ct

sounds like a cool option, my dodge diesel also takes forever to warm up. Do the fords have high idle? when its cold out i raise the idle up to 1500 rpms so it warms up a little quicker.

15. GreenManEnvy

GreenManEnvy Senior Member

The only way it's visible is if you see me take off my jacket before I get into the truck... :D

It's all behind the scenes and just gets things warmed up quickly. When I first got the truck, it took me a little while to learn to make sure the jacket comes off before I get into the truck. I've also found that I can get a comfortable temperature by setting the heat a lot lower than I have in any other vehicle I've owned or driven.

When I was discussing it with the dealer, he said he puts it in all the trucks he has built.

16. wnyps

wnyps Member

The 08 have high idle, it kicks in automatically when the trucks internal temp. falls below (I believe 32 degrees).

17. stroker79

As far as I know, all diesels from ford 99+ have high idle. I have an aux idle controller also so I can set what I want the RPMS at and when I want it to raise.

18. ColliganLands

ColliganLands PlowSite.com Addict

my 05 will idle up to around 1,400 rpm when its cold.

19. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i just put the grill cover on my 1991 7.3 for the winter season and it cuts the warm up time down drastically and they are lots less than $800.....as for the others they set inside the warm shop.... that option is kinda funny in a way because if you can afford a $35k truck with a $800 option, i would think you could afford a garage to park it in??

20. Jay brown

Jay brown PlowSite.com Addict

i think some of our 7.3's fast idle after setting unattended for a minute or so....