1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has spare parts with them while plowing?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Joey D, Mar 7, 2003.

1. Joey D

Joey D Senior Member

Last night I lost a pin holding the plow to the frame. Cost me a few hours of plowing as I was done with out it. My cousin says "I guess this is why Fisher sells a repair kit that niether one of us own". I also broke the handle of the snow blower so starting it was out of the question. Well after all the years plowing I learned the hard way.

2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

After this year I'll be carrying spare parts. I could have saved a lot of hassle if I'd had a simple hydraulic hose.

3. wyldman

wyldman Member

I carry pretty much everything I need to make field repairs.Our Jimmy's usually carry all the parts in the back,as they are locked up and kept dry.

We usually have hoses,wiper blades,all fluids,spare motors,blade markers,alt's and belts,propane torches,etc

Most of our contracts are within a 15 min drive of the shop,so if it's a long repair,it goes back to the shop to get done.

4. GesnerLawn

GesnerLawn Senior Member

I don't carry a lot of spare parts, but always carry duct tape, nuts/bolts/screws, heavy gauge wire and hydro line. The first time out plowing this year I blew a hole in the main HP hydraullic line on the plow. I Put a wood screw in the hole and finished the route. During the blizzard, I hit a curb and sent one of my plow guides flying into a snow bank. Luckily, I was able to find it and use the duct tape and wire to put it back on. Recently, I lost one of the pins for the trip edge for my plow. By coincidence, I had one in my pockect. It had fallen out of the 3 point hitch of my tractor at some point and I'd later found it on the ground and put it in my pocket. By some miracle, it fit.

5. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I carry everything possible to fix my plow

6. drobson

drobson Senior Member

I carry some things, but of course not enough or the right things as murphy's law has shown me many times. I keep screws, nuts, bolts, duck tape, fluids, spare solenoid, wire, electircal tape, hoses, pins, snowblower shear pins, and as many tools as I can fit in my toolbox. And with all this it's usually something I dont' have that breaks, then I add that to the list for the next time.

7. Big Todd

Big Todd Senior Member

Toward the end of last season, I had a few problems with the main pivot bolt loosening up on my Western, so after that, I started carying a couple of big wrenches for the big plow bolts. Other than that we didn't usually bring much more than a tow strap and a set of jumper cables. In previous years, my house was on one side of town and my brother's was on the othe and our accounts were pretty much streached out between, so if we had a problem, we would just zip over to one or the other to make repairs.

This year though, I got a real nice tool box for my truck and I decided to start carying a few more tools. It was a good thing, because I've had to make several repairs on the fly this year. Not to mention ocasionally tightening up two bolts on my Snowman back blade that seem to want to keep loosening up. Once I have ten extra minutes (LOL! :rolleyes: ) I will figure out what tools I need to have a complete road kit and buy what I need so I don't have to take them out of my shop.

As far as parts, we have always carried extra pins, hoses, and fittings.

8. Dockboy

Dockboy Guest

When I bought my plow I bought the Parts Kit also. Has everything you'll ever need plus a cool cap!:D :p

Greg

9. sonjaab

sonjaab PlowSite.com Addict

I do !...When I bought my first western plow
    in 1990 . I got the spare parts kit.......What
    a life saver here in Podunk at 4 am in a storm !
    Also carry a extra pump motor, tools, chains,
    winch, jumper box etc.
    Fellow western plowheads out here always seek
    me out for a spare instead of driving 30 plus
    miles for a plow pin or hose. I say WHY don't
    ya get one of these kits?..............geo

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  10. 4 Saisons

4 Saisons Senior Member

I have enough spare part to build a new blower( bearing, cable, chain, axle, belt, etc, a lot of bolt & even another starter assembly), cab is full.

All our break down happen on night shift or sunday, always when the dealer is closed. Now 95% of all repair is done "right there". No more waiting, no more driving to the dealers, and no moore piece back order when I need it. That save a lot of stress, and you're back on the road faster.

11. WOODY367

WOODY367 Senior Member
    from LI, NY

I keep spare hosespump belt, fittings fluid, liftchainmounting pins and tools on the truck. I have spare pumps, pistons lights, cutting edges and just about anything else to keep the truck going. Also I have a friend 5 min. away with a complete truck repair shop and is big into snow plowind I can get anything needed including spare plows and trucks if need be.

Last edited: Mar 7, 2003
  12. chtucker

chtucker Senior Member

Manufacturers spare parts kits, extra,extra pins of all sorts and my spankin new premeir power welder. (Grinder, helmet and scrap steal for repairs)

Howard

13. Grshppr

Grshppr Senior Member

i always carry spare parts with me. Spare belts/solenoids/angle ram/switches/hoses...you name it I've got it in the vehicle. Its probably overkill, but Id rather be safe than sorry. I just bought an extended cab s/b truck for plowing so now I have room for a passenger as my parts can go in the back of the cab.:)

14. Chief Plow

Chief Plow Senior Member

Each truck we run keeps the essential fluids and hoses,etc,etc,etc needed to repair something at the worst possible time. It has saved our butts on a number of occasions.

Rick

15. Pickering snow removal

Pickering snow removal Senior Member

service truck

Joel we have a service truck equiped to the max theres a really crappy pic of it under my rig page 21or 22 we have everything on that truck to repair or replace broken plows , spare pump assem for both western and of course 1 e-47 hoses, angle cylinders, soliends, relays, switches, fluids, spare salter parts, The truck is something i worked real hard on making a complete mobile on site repair shop inside the ARE service topper i have a 5hp gas air compressor, 50ft air hose reel, gen, inverters, reel lights, flood light stands, of course tool boxs full , portable gas welder, In the event we have a complete unimount failure i have a 7.5 standard loaded on a small trailer that i can pull with this truck to do a complete plow change out in the field. Know i have also been a real friend to several contractors in my area has this truck has helped more than just my trucks i sell alot of parts in the middle of the night , were are you gonna get a angle cyl or a set of cables for a older western at 2am many of the contractors call my cell and hey its a great concept and also i have keep a great repore with my fellow plowers .

16. PDQ Pete

PDQ Pete Senior Member

I keep the basics extra pins, clips,hoses,one quart of trans fluid
    toilet paper you never know and a long tow chain and a heavy duty come-along, no fun being stuck and a nice digging shovel learned the hard way :drinkup:

17. phillyplowking1

phillyplowking1 Senior Member

We also have a F-450 service truck that we have anything we need including a 10hp compressor and a welder.

18. DanG

DanG Senior Member

Full tool box of tools,extra nuts and bolts,extra hoses and fluid, Chain and/or tow strap and a small cable come-along.

Best thing to have is my cell phone with me.

And a good pointed shovel for digging out if you get stuck. Snow shovel just won't cut it for digging out hard pack snow.(I've busted a few trying):)

Also bring munchies, and stuff to drink. And you ALWAYS have to have a roll of TP with you.:D never know when you might need it.

Dan

19. plowking35

plowking35 2000 Club Member
    from SE CT

I have a tool kit and manufactures plow repair kit. If a truck breaks we just bring in a back up, or call another sub. I like the idea of a full parts truck on the road, that could make some serious money during the night. The key is letting others know who to call.
    this last storm, my buddies EZV stopped working, he asked to help cover his route if he couldnt get it fixed. I took the time and helped him trouble shoot it, took about an hour, we had him up and running. I fugure it took less time to fix his plow, than to plow his entire route. Turned out to be a bad power lead from the switch side of the solenoid to the motor. I had the new connectors back at my shop, so I sent him over and he repaired it there.
    Dino

20. JD PLOWER

JD PLOWER PlowSite.com Veteran

Dan, TP!! I wonder how the security camera's where I plow would like to see me use it on their monitors :D .