1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has plowed with backup cameras?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Plow More, Sep 8, 2012.

1. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I am thinking about adding one to help see what I a, getting myself into, on my flatbed it would probably need to be mounted near the licence plate, my main concern is it getting covered in snow/slush while driving on public roads.

2. bighornjd

bighornjd Senior Member

I would also think the salt spray and slush would make it useless. I'm a firm believer that a good operator pays attention to whats around him and knows how to use mirrors so it shouldnt be needed. Makes me sick seeing all this new technology like backup cameras, park assist, blind spot alerts and the like. I mean I guess it can be a good thing but sheesh don't they teach people to actually DRIVE anymore and not just hold the wheel? I see people all the time who seem to never look in their mirrors and when they do I don't think they understand what they are looking at anyway. I suppose its just a sign of the times and the truck driver in me coming out but people have been safely running vehicles and equipment for years without all this fancy stuff. I don't have a problem with added safety features like a backup camera as an aid, but I see WAY too many people dependent on that stuff and the one time it doesnt work or they don't have it they are totally lost and an accident waiting to happen. I guess Im old school. Give me a decent set of mirrors and tell me that tractor trailer wont fit in there and I'll prove ya wrong...

3. Wilnip

Wilnip Senior Member

Don't waste your money. It will get covered just by plowing. Remember what your tailgate looks like after plowing? All the snow will stick to it.

4. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

No, no I dont

5. vmj

vmj Senior Member
    from conn

I have had one for three years now... I do agree with BIGHORNJD!! I DO NOT back up useing IT!!! I use it it just as a way to see how close i am to loading docks and such not to bend up the sander..
    Yes it does get covered up going from lot to lot, My shovel boy (lol) cleans it off when he gets out to shovel!! I do know that they sell heated cameras for this reason.

6. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

I can see fine with my tow mirrors, I was thinking of going with one so I could have a better idea EXACTLY how far I am from something

7. forbidden

forbidden Senior Member

Have had one in my F350 for 5 years now, would not go without it. Yes it gets covered in snow/slush but get out and clean it. What harm is another device to give you even more assurance? Makes trailer attachment a snap as well for those that are new to it.

This year our sander gets one added to both the inside of the sanding box and outside to view the spinner while backing up.

After selling and installing cameras for so many years and not using one myself, I ordered a truck standard with it back in 08. I would not go without it on any truck in the future. A enterprising individual can wire it into any screen and integrate ipod, gps, dvd etc into it as well.

8. Plow More

Plow More Senior Member

Although i like to get close to things such as a rack of skis so i will need a heavy duty camera to hold up

9. Joe D

Joe D Senior Member

They are key to getting close to things but your not going to back across a lot with one.

10. leigh

leigh PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

There's one strong point that can't be disputed.No need for backup lights! I have two cameras mounted on big magnets that I can position wherever I want.They get no more dirty than my mirrors.It' amazing how it can be pitch dark and the monitor looks like midday.

11. PhilFromErie

PhilFromErie Senior Member

I had one on my F-450, I plowed a mall at the time and when it was busy people would zip right in behind where you could hardly see them. Not saying that I would have been backing into cars on the regular, but it was nice to have.

12. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

This is humorous.

Obviously the naysayers haven't ever used one while plowing. Or salting.

#1 Yes, they get covered. Jump out once in awhile and clean it off. I usually do it when reloading with salt.
    #2 Yes, I use my mirrors for backing up. Yes, I am aware of my surroundings. Yes, I was taught to drive as well as operate. But this does not prevent the other morons out there that will walk behind you; try to sneak in a driveway or parking space behind you; or pull right up to your bumper while plowing or salting and ignoring the blinkie lights on the trucks. The camera is for the others safety, not mine.
    #3 A backup camera is around $500, for a good one anyways. My deductible is $500 also. So if that camera prevents one incident, it has paid for itself. If that camera prevents one person from getting run over--God forbid--it saves a whole lot more mentally, financially and time.

I'm guessing bighornjd is still plowing with a manual transmission and manual angle plow. Every time he wants to windrow a different way, he jumps out pulls the pin, pushes the plow and reinserts the pin.

Technology sucks.

13. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

I like blinkie lights

14. countrybiggen

countrybiggen Junior Member

I've been debating this idea for a while with me getting into this business for myself and all. But I'm just thinking o possible bad outcomes. Of this thing getting ruined then me wasting my money. Well nvm I just had an awesome thought/ idea for the camera.

15. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

Completely agree - if I can afford it, we are going to get them on more trucks. The way I have it set up, I can also see my salt shoot when the dump is up, that is great for seeing how much I am putting down.

I touched a bollard once, that made me get the camera.

16. countrybiggen

countrybiggen Junior Member

A bollard .. ???

17. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

Steel post filled with concrete. Protects gas pumps, doors, drive throughs, etc.

Thanks Pristine, forgot about watching the salt chute. Helps on a V-box so you know for sure when you're empty.

18. basher

basher PlowSite Fanatic
    from 19707

Poles for basketball hoops, small bikes, garbage cans and a statue of a dog are just a few things I've seen on the screen but not in the mirrors.

Lets me SEE the salt distribution behind me and tell when to stop before loading a flower bed or bouncing it off a wall, dumpster, car, etc. great visibility even without the lights.

With the lack of visibility from the drivers seat of my Ram I'm considering one to be able to watch the passenger side of the blade. If the manufacturers keep make trucks with such poor visibility pretty soon I'll want one on all four corners.

19. Maleko

Maleko Senior Member
    from Ct

I have one and dont know whay i didnt get it sooner.

Mine is heated. no snow or slush stick to it at all. The heater turns on by itself once the temp gets below 45 degrees

Here is a link to it.http://www.plowsite.com/showthread.php?t=133825

4th post down

20. 2COR517

2COR517 PlowSite Fanatic

If you can put a 53' van behind a stretched triaxle with a 60" sleeper into a space the rest of the world can only squeeze a 28' box behind a six wheel tractor, you are far from old school. You are approaching quantam physics.