1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has or had problems with Low Profile 2500 spreader

Discussion in 'Western Plows Discussion' started by Antlerart06, Jan 27, 2014.

1. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

I bought one at a auction 1 year old For $125.00. For the price I had try it.
    This one I have had chains and notice was a problem with free flowing. When you wasn't spreading you had to shut gate or loose the load.

So started to look and they offer a auger for them. So I bought one and installed it and tested it works great. But one thing I notice the auger runs backwards. It pulls sides down to the auger vs pulling the middle down.

I called western and they said , the auger pulls down told me switch the wires

But I talk to few owners of one and they said there's would plug up sometimes burn up controllers running augers with the gate half closed

I look on here but people would never say why. They just would say Don't buy them.

Only ran a test in my drive So soon I get a salt run I will know if works out in the field
    I think running backwards would be less stress on the motor
  2. Antlerart06

Antlerart06 PlowSite Veteran

Up date running auger backwards I get a even flow out and the spinner can keep up. I switch the wires and it would auger to much out and 1/3 of it didn't even get thrown by the spinner So I switch back to where the auger runs backwards. I have a even coverage and the spinner can keep up.

So to people has a 5 flight auger in there 2500 spreader switch the wires around Open the gate all the way and try it
    I run a 50/50 mix of rock salt and solar salt On below -5 days I run rock salt and Icemelt

This my first tailgate spreader and I like it and it helps me. I carry my Vbox I don't have to run around town doing all the salting. I'm up town with 2 spreaders now LOL