1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has an answering service?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by ajslands, Jul 23, 2010.

1. ajslands

ajslands 2000 Club Member

Who has an answering service?
    (besides Scott)

And what are the pros and if their are any cons what are they?
  2. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

You talking about me?

If not I do.
  3. SnowMatt13

SnowMatt13 PlowSite.com Addict

I am my answering service.
    I answer calls 24 hours a day, but I do screen them with caller ID
  4. forestfireguy

forestfireguy PlowSite.com Addict

Our clients have direct access to the route supervisor via cell phone. We really don't want calls for new business during a storm, since we plan carefully to service our contracted sites we feel it would be a dis service to them to be taking calls on other sites. Besides if theres a call from someone who isn't contracted during a storm it's a problem, whether their guy didn't show, he did a poor job or maybe they saw one of our trucks and wanted to report a safety concern, all problems........

We only do commercial sites, if we did residential work I would probably feel differently.
  5. Bossman 92

Bossman 92 PlowSite.com Addict

I agree with forestfireguy on not wanting calls for new business during a storm. Drives me nuts! But every year someone calls and says they need a driver asap to come buy and take care of their problem. Almost like they didn't think it would snow this winter, and I was at home just hoping the phone would ring to take care of them. It never fails they always call during the first event of the year, when we are trying to work out all the kinks and train new drivers. :dizzy:

Although I did score a few banks a couple years ago during the first snow.

Sorry for the rant, but I sort of have a answering service. All my customers have my cell phone number so they can get ahold of me no matter what. Also my office is set up in my basement, and my wife is a teacher, so when the weather is bad she is at home and takes any calls on the office line that come in.

6. Pristine PM ltd

Pristine PM ltd PlowSite Veteran

We always make sure that we are available by phone. Sometimes it is because of our contracts, sometimes it is because we like new business, sometimes it is because we want to know about issues ASAP, not when someone slips and falls.
  7. tracerich

tracerich Member
    from Earth

I used to use a message forwarding answering machine. Worked slick. The suck thing is, customers would call at 2AM leaving a general message. The message would get forwarded to my cell phone, waking me up.. We did away with that and had a phone system installed with an automated attendant.
  8. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

They call my cell But most of the time its stupid **** like:

"You will be at my house by 7 AM Right! "
    So i just let all those go to my voice mail I really HATE being on the phone while plowing....Because visibility is already bad not being able to see with the sprayer tank in the back.....
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2010
  9. ajslands

Being on the phone while plowing is so hard! You need like 3 hands! (one to steer, one to hold your phone and one to hold the control, oh and one more
    to hold your ciggerate, and a fith hand so when that guy jumps
    you, you can shoot him!)

How do you get an automated phone attendent? I wanna look into that!
  10. alwayz-plowin

alwayz-plowin Senior Member

11. grandview

grandview PlowSite Fanatic

I like my answering service .I got it set up in April and I have not answered the phone since then. They take a message then email it to me ,that's how I have it setup. But you can have messages forwarded to your cell number or and thing else.
  12. wizardsr

wizardsr PlowSite.com Addict

Those are SPENDY! Have to get alot of calls to justify something like that.

I have office calls forwarded to my cell phone most of the time, if I don't recognize the number while I'm busy I just send it to voicemail. I have all the customer's phone numbers programmed, so if someone legit calls, I usually know who it is and grab the call. Good customer service for them, even if it's a little more work on my end, it's worth it...
  13. ajslands

Didn't I say besides Scott! Geeez!!!

I'm just kidding GR, thanks for your input. And everyone else!

Oh btw grandview, if you don't mind me aksing, what answering service do you use?