1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has a leveling kit on their NNBS (07-11)?

Discussion in 'Chevy Trucks' started by rusty_keg_3, Oct 17, 2010.

1. rusty_keg_3

rusty_keg_3 Senior Member

Hey, thinking about a leveling kit for the 09 Chevy Silverado 3500HD im rebuilding... The Front sags quite a bit without ballast...
  2. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I have one and it makes a big difference. It's a "Ready lift" 2.5" level kit.
  3. vincent

vincent Senior Member

same here on 2008 hd
  4. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

Crank the bars your doing the same thing. All the ready lift kits are are reindexed keys. IMO they're a wast of money unless you've maxxed your stock tb bolts out. I've used them when I was younger. You should buy new shocks or shock extenders if your bars are cranked to improve ride though.
  5. brad96z28

brad96z28 PlowSite.com Addict

I have yet to see the need for one, unless ur t bars are shot and I doubt it on a 07 and up.Big waste of coin there.
  6. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

most trucks that are 04 and newer, esp diesels, dont need keys the bots should give you all the lift you want.
  7. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I tried both ways. On my 1st 2500 I just cranked the t bars, helped but wasn't perfect. I then had a ready lift 2.5" kit put in. After the kit install and the keys weren't cranked all the way (I believe the factory bolt is longer and you can get more lift) I couldn't get my plow on.
    I measured 1" diff from the top of my plow to the receiver mount on my truck. I had to use a floor jack to lift up my plow and push the jack stands down more to make it level with the truck.

Yes level kits add more lift and you don't have to drive around with fully cranked tbars either.

I'm not saying you have to use a leveling kit, but if you're like me and run a 8.5ft v, its not a bad idea.
  8. JD Dave

JD Dave PlowSite Fanatic

They don't give you more lift if your stock keys aren't maxxed. If you installed the ready lift kit you'd understand. There is a metal stop on the back of your upper control arm that limits down travel and to make your truck ride half decent you should have a 1/2 gap between the stops. If you want more lift then that you need to go to Cognito upper control arms which I have on my NBS. I've wasted money on keys and such in the past and now that I do all the front end work myself I understand how the TB's work and they're not needed. All the indexed keys do is max your bars out without cranking the bolt which doesn't hurt anything.
  9. badabing1512

badabing1512 Senior Member

X2 on the cognito UCAs, i had to do keys in my truck because i was able to go up slightly further with the cognitos than i was with the stock UCAs.
  10. nate456789

nate456789 Senior Member
    from Indiana

I use the cognito arms on my 09 and tried lifting with the std keys and one side wouldn't give me a full 2.5 ".
    So I had to spend another $100 on cognitos keys and now I can go up to 3.5" lift.
    I only run them at 2.5" and the ride is just like the stock ride.
  11. EXR

EXR Senior Member

I made note to measure the diff between the ride height stock with fully cranked t bars and after I had the level kit put in. Was an inch diff, I haven't got 2.5" either out of my kit..as the box states you can..maybe 1.5.

How much are the cognito CA's?