1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

Who has a fast winch?

Discussion in 'Snowbear Plows' started by JoeZV8, Jan 26, 2011.

1. JoeZV8

JoeZV8 Junior Member

So last week I acquired a free Snowbear snow plow, well I believe it is a Snowbear it says "Proshovel" on the blade and from what I can see it is a Snowbear.

This was off of a 1990 Toyota Tacoma, and I made some brackets to fit it to my 2003 Tundra without too much trouble. However at first the winch did not want to work at all, then it would work when it wanted to (or after I talked it into working with my hammer).

I replaced the winch with the 3000lb camo winch from Harbor Freight wired it to work with the original switch and made a bracket to fit it to the plow.....but the thing was painfully slow, it was straining with everything it had to lift the little plow.

So I went back to Harbor Freight and gave the 2000lb winch a try (this one is actually 1.5hp vs the 1.1 of the wireless camo winch), and I also made a bracket to hang it further away from the plow (seemed too close before). It is much faster than the camo winch, but still a bit slow for my liking. But if it is more reliable than the Superwinch, I'll stick with the Harbor Freight and maybe convert it to strap or chain.

But before I go any further with modifications....are there any reasonably priced winches that are fast??

Also, what improvements have people made that have to drive with this plow on their truck? I just do my driveway, a couple neighbors and a couple apartments that I own, but I fear that I'm driving around more than what was intended for this plow. So far I've just replaced the pins with grade 8 bolts and doubled up on the lock nuts....I know I need some lights....any other suggestions? It's approx 50-60 miles once I the loop to all the driveways.

TIA!

Last edited: Jan 26, 2011
  2. champlainl

champlainl Member

Thats the same winch I have on mine (2000Lb), mine works flawlessly, been on for 2 years. I have a chain on mine. I don't have lights on mine as my f150 sits high enough, put a snow flap on the top also, I live in central square and we get plenty of the white stuff up here. My snowbear is 13 years old and except for the lack of power angle I love it. Go to Remetco and buy a 3/8 stainless u-bolt if you use a piece of chain, just use double nut plates to secure it to the winch drum. There are pics on here of my setup if you search this site. Hope this helps,good luck

3. JoeZV8

JoeZV8 Junior Member

Thanks for the info it definitely helps. I'm pleased to know that you've had good luck with the HF winch. I don't trust the cable so I'll probably convert to chain since it has worked for you.

What diameter u-bolt should I get? I'm guessing it's 1.5" but I haven't pulled all the cable off or read the manual yet ;-)

Last edited: Jan 27, 2011
  4. hero419

hero419 Member
    from nepa

50-60 mile round trip!?!
    Are you using the hook?

5. JoeZV8

JoeZV8 Junior Member

It's about 20mi to my apts, so 40 or so if I go straight there and back but I stop at a couple relatives houses in between and might stop off to grab some food along the way :)

I didn't get the hook with the plow but I bring it up, ratchet strap it, then release pressure on the winch.

6. cjshloman

cjshloman Senior Member

Any pics of this chain set up...I have the same plow and keep breaking bolts for my chain. you just use 2 u bolts and it winds it up? thanks.

7. champlainl

champlainl Member

I use 1 u-bolt and yes I think its 1.5 on the center opening between the ends, if you use the search engine on this site there are pics of my set up

8. machinehog

machinehog Junior Member

Did ya get that from a guy in wappingers falls? I put the yellow strap from zorkos on mine and its a lot heavier than the original black one that came with the "pro Shovel" from home depot. Snow bear says their winch is "Custom Gear Ratio" Does anybody know what the ration is?

9. JoeZV8

JoeZV8 Junior Member

I got the plow from a relative up here in the Albany area. I know he had gotten it a number of years ago (at least 4 or 5), and when I got it a black superwinch with yellow strap on it. But the winch would only work intermittently, and when it did it seemed verrrrry slow. I'm told this is the 2nd winch he had on the plow.

I put a chain on the 2000lb harbor freight winch, and they are calling for a storm tomorrow into Wednesday....we'll see how it does

10. machinehog

machinehog Junior Member

Good luck Joe, We are supposed to get 6-8" In the hudson valley, I have been using this plow all winter and it has been great, Snowbear says to plow every three to six inches, I have done a foot with this plow and no trouble. The winch on mine is Superwinch 1102D and raises / lowers the plow in about two seconds. I have the solenoid kit from summit racing and the wires from the battery are short and #8 , DC motors run on amperage, meaning the voltage should be constant, the amperage controls the speed. shorter fatter wires, more amps, more speed.How do you have your winch wired?

11. JoeZV8

JoeZV8 Junior Member

I'm using what I believe is the wiring that comes with the snowbear. Seems like 12ga wires connecting battery/switch/winch. It seems a bit faster with the 2000lb winch setup with chain, since it takes fewer turns of the winch to pull the plow up the same distance. 15-30" predicted for today/tomorrow, so we'll see how it goes

12. champlainl

champlainl Member

The big trick to these plow is to back off the pile before starting to lift blade, my hf winch isn't the quickest but it works great, anothermod Idid was got rid of those wimpy connecting pins that hold plow on vehicle. Drill hole to 1/2 inch diameter and install class 2 trailer hitch receiver pins.Got mine at tractor supply for $1.89 each, much stronger and easier to use.

13. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

Joe, I think it's 10 ga.

14. JoeZV8

JoeZV8 Junior Member

You could be right, they are pretty thick but def not 8ga.

15. machinehog

machinehog Junior Member

A few guys here have said they use a wiring kit from an ATV, I spent the extra money and bought the solenoid kit from summit and it came with #8 wire. That way the "power" wires are only three or four feet long and heavy enough to carry the required amps to the motor. Also if you are using the "in cab" switch the wires are even longer, I have the toggle switch (from the solenoid kit) clamped to my shifter handle like a two speed rear so I can shift and lift without moving my hand (manual trans). Either way try using heavier wire, your drawing 35-40 amps to lift the blade, I,m a high voltage electrician by day and bigger is better with DC motors.

16. ranger88den

ranger88den Senior Member

If you're going to use 8ga. think about using HF jumper cables. I got a set last fall for about $13 approx. 12' long. Stranded and heavy insulation. Just a thought.