1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

"who Had A Near Miss This Winter"

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by Daner, Feb 27, 2006.

1. Daner

Daner PlowSite.com Addict

Did any one have a near miss or a complete hit this year so far??
    Ihad one with the tractor backing out to the road from a laneway and there was the truck...close...And almost hit a trailer with the bucket when i swung too close
    Anyone else??:)
  2. Mick

Mick PlowSite.com Veteran
    from Maine

I think "near miss" is simply a part of plowing snow. Most common for me is almost going over the edge. This year was losing traction going downhill with a fully loaded two yard spreader. Best I could do was keep it in the middle and let it go till it got to the bottom. Trying to brake would have just spun the back end around. Worst part was getting to the side to make the turn half way down. The whole time I was kicking myself for saying "Oh, I'll get by without the studded tires this year".
  3. JET enterprises

JET enterprises Senior Member

ive had a couple by a post office with cars on both sides and a "state law must let walkers cross" sign right in the middle and to close for comfort calls with the plow on
  4. CamLand

CamLand Senior Member

We need to have snow to have a near miss...
  5. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Nearly missed the snow this year...finally got some this past month.:salute:

6. vis

vis Senior Member
    from 4

the correct term is near-hit.....

if you near miss...then you hit....

two air planes collide...they nearly missed....

if they missed each other... it was a near hit....

7. Up North

Up North Senior Member

Near miss or near hit. Either one leaves a brown streak in my shorts.

8. Yaz

Yaz PlowSite.com Addict
    from NH

I backed up and looked in my mirror:dizzy: Slid to a stop and missed a truck my about 1/2inch. The funny part is that the truck was my customers. He moved right behind me to get it out his driveway. Thanks.. lol
  9. crazymike

crazymike Senior Member
    from Toronto

sitting in a parking lot filling my log book out. Headlights and strobe light blinking.

WHACK. Look in the rear view mirror and see white. I'm like WTF.
    Guy in a cube van hit my mirror and folded it in. Not a scratch.

Back near christmas got stuck on a solid ice hill at night. All lights going. First two cars slid right down and past me. Last guy paniced, sliid into my plow and it just folded in. Totalled his bumper, tiny dent on the plow. (this is why you angle to teh right, not left BTW)
  10. cja1987

cja1987 PlowSite.com Addict

Mainly sliding down hilly driveways. It is less of a problem in my area but there are still some that make me nervous. Weight works with you and agianst you, you get sliding and its harder to stop when loaded. The Feb 12 storm of this year, I was visiting a driveway for the second time and came in a little too fast, figured I could slow down once in and plowing, realized I was going much faster then I should have based on the fact that the garage door at the bottom of the hill was fast approaching. Had no option but the brakes and turn into an existing pile just off the side of the driveway. Got stopped just in time as the back end slid out a little and I kept the nose left of the garage door. I like to think Iam always thinking about safety but I get complacent too often especially when plowing big storms and hitting the same driveways with no more then 6 hours in between. Also the longer I have been plowing, the more likely I am to do something stupid. I always watch for the big things, traffic, people, I will always check and double check. But I find that I come alot closer to backing into stationary objects such as poles, fences, signs, etc as my time in the truck increases.

As plowers we are driving in the worst conditions everytime those conditions exist during a season. We drive in conditions that cause the most accidents. Snow is slippery, vehicles rely on friction to stay "safe". We also change direction, and move around alot more then the average vehicle and often its in tighter spaces with more hazards around. Needless to say, "near misses" are going to be a common occurance no matter how hard you try to avoid them. Just hope nothing turns into a bad accident. I have yet to have a real accident while plowing, knock on wood. Worst I did was slam my bumper into a glass door but no insurence claims were filed as it was my fathers office. Still Iam not happy about it and hope Iam never that stupid again. But as a plower, there are many situations where I see something that I just missed or stopped just short of and go "oh s--t".
  11. Daner

This one happened to me along time ago

Ican still remember this one...I was say around 20 yrs old...on my way to a job site at around 630am...Pulled the 3/4 ton in a church parking lot ...right beside the side walk...Run across the road to the coffee shop...just as i was opening the door to the coffee shop ...I here a big BANG lol
    WT-- wAS THAT...My truck rolled down the side walk say around 600' and slamed into the hospital on the corner...Grabed my coffee real quick and went to the truck..Funny Know one really saw what happened...Thank goodness there was no one in the path...No real damage done...But it scared the living everything outa me:)
    Iguess yaa all know that i left the truck in netreul and the E brake wasnt on all the way
  12. Grn Mtn

Grn Mtn PlowSite.com Addict

13. Daner

14. DeereFarmer

DeereFarmer PlowSite Veteran

Only real close one for me this year was a fully loaded Oshkosh sliding back down a hill that I was trying to get up. I had the back all the way down, faster than him and ended up just backing into an empty parking lot. The back of an Oshkosh is not something that you want to see at 5 AM. He ended up backing into the same lot as me and I talked to him for a while. He said that he had missed a gear, started to slide backwards, and it was all down hill from there.:eek:
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2006
  15. Idealtim

Idealtim Senior Member

16. Grn Mtn

Tell me about it.

Spent a week talking only to the major companies lawyers:confused: :realmad: After I finally convinced them that I wasn't planning on suing them, and it indeed was THEIR fault I was allowed to contact their insurance company.

Spent another week hammering out the details on how they were going to pay subcontractors to maintain my customers why my truck was in the shop (They wanted me to rent a plow truck,Yeah Right, like someone would be stupid enough to get into that business).

Then I waited a week for a good looking stretch of weather and the company that is subbing for me I needed to wait for one of their drivers to get back.

So yes, this is why the truck is just in the shop now.
  17. Grn Mtn

Nope, F550 w/8' Western w/VBox. Popped his Plow right off the truck mounts. They had to bring a loader over to pick the plow up off the road:D