1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who gives free estimates?

Discussion in 'Business Fundamentals' started by plowman4life, Mar 9, 2008.

?

charge for estimates Y/N

1. free

47 vote(s)
    97.9%
  2. we charge

1 vote(s)
    2.1%
  1. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

just curious who gives free estimates with fuel prices being what they are do you charge to go look at jobs?

we charge a fuel surgharge.
    we dont charge for the time spent looking at a job.
    for estimates the first is free. if you change your mind on something we charge for the 2nd and any after that.

we dont do landscaping. so we can give multiple estimates based on the building layout and if they decide to change it.

2. BHISNOWMAN

BHISNOWMAN Member

Free for Snowplowing. $150.00 for Construction. Refundable if I get the job.

3. tuney443

tuney443 PlowSite.com Addict

Free,but if I hear or sense or I'm told It's for real estate purposes,I will charge at least a $100.

4. BSDeality

BSDeality Senior Member

free as of now, but I'm considering charging for them this year like BHISnowman. Diesel is $4/gal right now.

5. plowman4life

plowman4life Senior Member

its definently worth charging people to look at the job. at least a fuel surcharge.

6. VBigFord20

VBigFord20 Senior Member

It depends. If it is within 20 miles I normally do not charge. Farther then that I will give them that much off the job if they accept.

I agree with you guys though, with gas costs feeling more and more like being violated in the rear with no lube I might start charging a flat rate to look at things.

7. exmark1

exmark1 PlowSite.com Addict

Everything is free as of now. However we are going to start charging a refundable rate of $20.00 if it is out of city limits

8. mnormington

mnormington Senior Member

Who in their right mind would even consider paying for an estimate? That's crazy.

9. Snowpower

Snowpower Senior Member

I hope you know you wont get anyone to accept that, right?

How rediculous. Would you pay a fee to walk around the mall just to windowshop and compare prices?

I think you guys dont have enough work and too much time on your hands. Maybe because you charge to answer the phone.

10. SnoFarmer

SnoFarmer PlowSite Fanatic
    from N,E. MN

That costs $2.95 a minute

11. YardMedic

YardMedic PlowSite.com Addict

It's the cost of doing business, guys. Recoup it in the work contracts signed.

12. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

if you have to charge a "fuel surcharge" to give an estimate then your accounts are way too far away and you should be looking for plowing business much closer to home.

if you need to charge for a snowplowing estimate i would think you don't know how to run your business. either that or you're just a greedy person who will likely want $80 to do my $30 driveway - AND charge me for the estimate on top of that. and our relationship will end on the phone 20 seconds after it began.

13. iceyman

iceyman 2000 Club Member

im surprised u lasted 20 secs

14. linckeil

linckeil PlowSite.com Addict
    from CT

an intelligent addition to the thread. if i had a 50k plow rig and no snow to push i guess i'd be charging an arm and a leg for estimates too!!!! do what you gotta do to make a buck i guess.

and by the way, i'm in my 13th season now with 55 accounts. i've just barely made it over the 20 second hump.

15. Bowtytek

Bowtytek Member
    from Maine

I don't charge for estimates, figure when I get the job, I will make more than enough to pay for the estimate. I use my Saturn mostly for estimates or the wifes suv if we are headed somewhere. With the Saturn, not costing me anything @35+ mpg, and usually do them on the way home from work.