1. Welcome to PlowSite. Notice a fresh look and new features? It’s now easier to share photos and videos, find popular topics fast, and enjoy expanded user profiles. If you have any questions, click HELP at the top or bottom of any page, or send an email to help@plowsite.com. We welcome your feedback.

Dismiss Notice

who else plows a parking garage?

Discussion in 'Commercial Snow Removal' started by GSS LLC, Jan 13, 2013.

1. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

I picked up a parking garage from a person I do other business with. This is the first winter with the parking garage for him. I knew it would be a pain, especially since no salt is to be used. The last storm was a wet snow and I spread a lot of sand to keep it safe on the top floor. I equipped a truck with a poly cutting edge also. What tips can you give me to make this go as smooth as possible?
  2. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

an area needs to be designated for stacking

a skid steer should be available if accumulation consumes your stacking area

make sure side of parking garage is roped off and manned when loading off of roof

use calcium chloride instead of salt to remedy freeze- thaw cycle to concrete joints
  3. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

Isn't c.c. highly corrosive to the support beams?
  4. 1olddogtwo

1olddogtwo PlowSite Fanatic

Calcium chloride is used in concrete mixes to help speed up the initial setting, but chloride ions lead to corrosion of steel rebar, so it should not be used in reinforced concrete
  5. Spool it up

Spool it up Senior Member

in large structures such as concrete parking garages , buildings and heavy highways , the rebar has been coated with a green epoxy for the last 10-15 years that I know of , a corrosion inhibitor

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  6. ZamboniHDB

ZamboniHDB Senior Member

Urea will work until 15 degrees and it does not contain chlorides, so it is less corrosive and safer for use on concrete containing rebar.

Just my .02¢
  7. GSS LLC

GSS LLC Senior Member

ill check into the urea, might work for some days. any other tips on plowing parking garages besides ice melting?
  8. 1olddogtwo

9. dfd9

dfd9 PlowSite.com Addict

As stated, no. But it will chemically interact with portland cement.

Not necessarily.

I plow a ramp where salt is used. It also has a urethane coating to prevent the chlorides from getting to the rebar.

As for stacking, you better make sure that you can stack snow in one place as well as be ready to move it regularly. Most of the time piles are only allowed for a limited amount of time because the design is for weight to be spread out, not all in one corner.

You need to speak with the owner and find out if, where and how much snow can be stored until removal.

You need to speak with the owner to find out what can be used for de-icing. Have them check with the engineers who designed the ramp. It would be a good idea to ask them about where snow can be stacked as well.

You need to do some homework yesterday before you have issues.
  10. 1olddogtwo

1st, how old is the PG

2nd, do you know if the rebar is protected?

3rd, what about the rest of the steel?

It has long been known that chloride ions from deicing salts, sea spray, sea water, marine fog, admixtures and mixing water can permeate concrete. When chloride, oxygen and moisture come together on the surface of unprotected steel, corrosion will result. Rust formation on rebar places pressure on the concrete that can result in cracking, spalling and delamination. The loss of bond between concrete and reinforcing steel and the loss of rebar cross-sectional area both have the potential to result in serious structural problems.

Companies and trade organizations with expertise in concrete construction technology are familiar with options available for corrosion protection in new or rehabilitated structures. With support from these experts, each end user should determine whether or not application of chloride-based deicers is appropriate for their given situation."

That is a quote from http://www.oxycalciumchloride.com/ I would consult a professional engineer to protect your rear. This isn't a case of "well he did it, why can't I"
  11. TJSNOW

TJSNOW Senior Member

Watch out for the Rubber Expansion sections.....Becomes costly to repair if the rubber is ripped out.....payup

Also.Potassium Acetate is the closest you are gonna come to "safe" to use on concrete.....But its expensive....